This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Have To Show Off My New Friends

Poppi

Poppi Enthusiast

Picture032.webp

So now we have 11 mouths to feed in our house. With some love and care though these little girls will be feeding us eggs next year. I can't wait! For now the kids are all thrilled to have 4 chickens living in the kitchen. I have to admit they are cute. The lady at the farm supply store looked at me like I was a crazy person when I asked if there was gluten free chick feed. I don't allow gluten foods in the upstairs kitchen where the chicks live though so it really was a reasonable question. :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Sooo cute! Do they have names?

Jestgar Rising Star

Cute! Play with them as much as possible so they'll enjoy tolerate being played with when they're grown.

Poppi Enthusiast

They get played with a lot ... maybe even too much.

They do have names. Our 5 year old named one Chickie, our two older girls named one Fifi, I named one Bennie (mmmmm... eggs bennie) and our 15 year old son named one Killbot. Teenage boys are so weird. :blink:

GFinDC Veteran

So cute! Killbot eh? My brother had a dog named CK. CK stood for chicken killer. She earned her name. Dun duh duh.

mushroom Proficient

Looks like two of them are Rhode Island reds??? They are so sweet :D

Poppi Enthusiast

Looks like two of them are Rhode Island reds??? They are so sweet :D

Yup, 2 Rhode Island Reds and 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes. They are 9 days old today and already escaping from the bin we have them in. Oh dear.

Chicken Killer is a good dog name. We had a rabbit named Stew who got eaten by a cougar but my Dad always threatened to have Rabbit Stew for dinner one night.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

etta694 Explorer

Those names sound a little 'prophetic'.... keep an eye on Killbot :blink::o

Poppi Enthusiast

Those names sound a little 'prophetic'.... keep an eye on Killbot :blink::o

My son insists he is going to train him to focus his energy enough to shoot lasers from his eyes.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Cute! I so wish I could have chickens. I currently rent and I don't think my landlord would take to kindly to it. :blink:

Maybe someday.... ;)

Poppi Enthusiast

Cute! I so wish I could have chickens. I currently rent and I don't think my landlord would take to kindly to it. :blink:

Maybe someday.... ;)

Someday! I've wanted chickens for years but we were renting and then there were a few years after we bought this house that my husband was living and working 2 hours away and we weren't sure if we were still going to be here long term. As soon as his long-awaited transfer came through and we knew we were going to be living here permanently we ordered our chicks. They are so sweet... a bit cranky right now with the molting and everything but cute and fun for the kids to watch.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Someday! I've wanted chickens for years but we were renting and then there were a few years after we bought this house that my husband was living and working 2 hours away and we weren't sure if we were still going to be here long term. As soon as his long-awaited transfer came through and we knew we were going to be living here permanently we ordered our chicks. They are so sweet... a bit cranky right now with the molting and everything but cute and fun for the kids to watch.

We're going to be looking at buying in the next year or two (as soon as my hubby has been well established at his job and we know it is where we are staying for sure). So I'm sure it will come sooner or later...one of my criteria for a house has always been a big yard so I can have a garden (I currently have a container garden on my patio) and room for "pets". I hope we can find a place that will let us have chickens in the back yard but it's just a dream right now...

etta694 Explorer

My son insists he is going to train him to focus his energy enough to shoot lasers from his eyes.

:lol: :lol: Your son would totally get along with my son...

kareng Grand Master

:lol: :lol: Your son would totally get along with my son...

My boys could help yours build a robot chicken with laser beam eyes that lays chocolate eggs.

etta694 Explorer

My boys could help yours build a robot chicken with laser beam eyes that lays chocolate eggs.

This would be worth the trip to make it happen!!! :lol:

Poppi Enthusiast

I want one!

This would be worth the trip to make it happen!!! :lol:

Yup, anyone want to come to Canada this summer?

etta694 Explorer

Darn...I was hoping it would be some place close to Maui. :P I'm probably next door. Comon Kareng! You've always wanted to come visit the home of the Mounties, moose and..the mighty beaver.

If I lived on an acreage I would have chickens, a cow, some sheep... and dogs and cats. Also chinchillas but not for making coats or anything :( ...ssshhhhhh don't want to talk too loud or Chilli will hear.. And as long as I'm fantasizing.. I would like a garden that would supply all my veggie needs..and a hothouse for winter fresh veggies powered off of a geothermic, solar, wind powered system that would have left over power that I could sell... and a fresh water spring... and a million dollars....

Poppi Enthusiast

Darn...I was hoping it would be some place close to Maui. :P I'm probably next door. Comon Kareng! You've always wanted to come visit the home of the Mounties, moose and..the mighty beaver.

If I lived on an acreage I would have chickens, a cow, some sheep... and dogs and cats. Also chinchillas but not for making coats or anything :( ...ssshhhhhh don't want to talk too loud or Chilli will hear.. And as long as I'm fantasizing.. I would like a garden that would supply all my veggie needs..and a hothouse for winter fresh veggies powered off of a geothermic, solar, wind powered system that would have left over power that I could sell... and a fresh water spring... and a million dollars....

Where are you? I'm on Vancouver Island so you're probably not next door.

We have a decent size city lot but thanks to city bylaws we are allowed 4 laying hens and a large vegetable garden. I'm only putting in 50 square feet of garden space this year but if it goes well I hope to double that for next year. Once our oldest 3 leave home we are hoping to move about 30 minutes north with the 2 younger ones and have a small hobby farm. DH wants a shooting range and I want 10 chickens, enough garden space to provide all our veggies plus some to sell at the market and maybe a couple of sheep because I spin yarn and knit.

etta694 Explorer

That sounds like a dream. I should check bylaws here but I'm pretty sure I can't have chickens in small town Sask.. :P I'm guessing lots of people would and it would be a circus trying to keep things clean and neat. My family has farmland outside of town but with few trees and not much rain usually (and no well), it would be hard to have an acreage there. You have treeeeees... you lucky girl... I love trees. :wub:

If you're coming for a visit, Kareng, I'm guessing you would like trees over tumbleweeds. ;)

Poppi Enthusiast

That sounds like a dream. I should check bylaws here but I'm pretty sure I can't have chickens in small town Sask.. :P I'm guessing lots of people would and it would be a circus trying to keep things clean and neat. My family has farmland outside of town but with few trees and not much rain usually (and no well), it would be hard to have an acreage there. You have treeeeees... you lucky girl... I love trees. :wub:

If you're coming for a visit, Kareng, I'm guessing you would like trees over tumbleweeds. ;)

Don't forget the ocean. I'm on an island. It's a fairly big island I suppose but we are still only a 5 minute drive or a 25 minute walk from the beach.

kareng Grand Master

Don't forget the ocean. I'm on an island. It's a fairly big island I suppose but we are still only a 5 minute drive or a 25 minute walk from the beach.

The kid in the old green pic- up with Kansas liscense plates, a Mtn bike & a snow board standing at your door in a few days is J. He will be your new son.

etta694 Explorer

The kid in the old green pic- up with Kansas liscense plates, a Mtn bike & a snow board standing at your door in a few days is J. He will be your new son.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm off to a gluten-free potluck..!! :)

kareng Grand Master

I live in Kansas. We have flat, cows, wheat, corn & tumbleweeds. We would feel at home.

Poppi Enthusiast

He'd probably love it here. We live within a few hours of great skiing/snowboarding, the best surfing in the world and we are surrounded by really nice beaches and other outdoorsy type stuff like mountain biking, scuba diving, camping, rock climbing etc etc

We've already got 5 kids, I'm sure we can cram another one in downstairs without hardly noticing.

Jestgar Rising Star

I just got six new babies, including one of Open Original Shared Link

Archived