This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dizziness With Milk

Kquad

Kquad Apprentice

The Dr has finally convinced me I have Celiac with a positive transglutimase and not one of the false positives. After a month, I am finally feeling better. I had what I believe was a terrible gluten withdrawal. The primary issue now is a weird kind of dizziness after either regular milk or lactose free milk. This can be raw or cooked. Strangely, I seem OK on cheese. I never had a problem before going gluten free. My appetite is returning and hopefully my energy level will too. My question is, is this milk thing temporary and why does lactose free milk still make me dizzy? Also wish me luck, we are driving to disneyland in 2 weeks and this whole gluten free thing is new. We have a kitchen and my bread maker is coming with me!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AzizaRivers Apprentice

Lactose intolerance is extremely common in newly diagnosed celiacs--the villi that your autoimmune reaction was destroying are the same villi that produce the enzyme that breaks up lactose. There are different degrees of lactose intolerance so some people can do cheese and other things, while some can't.

About the lactose free milk--my partner's brother (who is not celiac) is extremely lactose intolerant and even the "lactose-free" milk gives him problems sometimes.

Also, the problem could be the casein and not the lactose. Casein (someone do correct me if I'm wrong) would still be in the lactose-free milk. Now, that wouldn't really explain the cheese, but maybe someone knows more about that than I do.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I might be a rare case but I ended up developing a milk allergy after going gluten free. Actually I think I have always had a mild milk allergy (my mom had to take me off dairy as a toddler) but it just became more pronounced once I went gluten-free. Dizziness doesn't sound like a lactose intolerance unless you mean you get sick to your stomach and that makes it seem like you are dizzy...Anyway my allergy symtpoms involved difficulty breathing and mild light-headedness at first and then eventually got worse to the point of my tongue swelling up. Not trying to scare you but do keep an eye on it. I was also able to tolerate cheese better than milk (even lactaid milk). You might also test to see if you have the same problem with goat milk or sheeps milk if you can get those in your area. For a while I could have goat milk/goat cheese with no symptoms. Another thing to test is whether you have the same problem with organic milk or raw milk.

Hulda Rookie

I feel the same. I am not officially diagnosed with Celiac and probably never will...

I get those reactions with gluten, milk and eggs! My doctor won't believe mig...but in my opinion she doesn't know anything about Celiac other than what they learned 30 years ago.

Whenever I ingest milk I get dizzy and feel like everything is kind of unreal. Really strange and at first I think I was going mad. The same happens with eggs. When it

Kquad Apprentice

I feel the same. I am not officially diagnosed with Celiac and probably never will...

I get those reactions with gluten, milk and eggs! My doctor won't believe mig...but in my opinion she doesn't know anything about Celiac other than what they learned 30 years ago.

Whenever I ingest milk I get dizzy and feel like everything is kind of unreal. Really strange and at first I think I was going mad. The same happens with eggs. When it´s gluten it gets 100x worse and gets me into bed.

Thanks, it is always nice not to know one is alone and crazy :D . Do you have problems with cheese? I did a search on the forum, there was one woman who had the same symptoms 5 years ago. How long have you had this and how long have you been gluten free? I am hoping it is temporary. You described the milk feeling perfectly

Mari Explorer

Hi, I have an allergy to cow's milk and even after strictly avoiding all cow's milk and butter for at least ten years still tested positive and react. Like the other person I could tolerate goat's milk for a while but had to stop eating it. I can tolerate small amounts of sheeps milk yogurt so have some every once in a while. For some people with milk allergy using the yogurt recepie for the Specific Carbohydrate Diet digests enough of the casein so they can tolerate it. A lactose intolerace means that a person isn't making enough of this enzyme to digest lactose, tho many asians and native americans just don't make the enzyme lactase at all. Some celiacs do recover the ability to produce lactase but may not especially if they are older.

shadowicewolf Proficient

hard cheeses are naturally lactose free.

Try going on almond milk or something similar for a while.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived