scrufy

Can I Cheat A Little?

Rate this topic

Diagnosed about three years ago with Celiac. Got down to about 140 Lbs. before we found out what caused this weight loss. I have cheated a little after diagnosed do you think this will hurt me? No big symptoms just a weakness in my legs that I cant figure out. Last week I went full control but still have soem weakness. Help anyone?

Diagnosed about three years ago with Celiac. Got down to about 140 Lbs. before we found out what caused this weight loss. I have cheated a little after diagnosed do you think this will hurt me? No big symptoms just a weakness in my legs that I cant figure out. Last week I went full control but still have soem weakness. Help anyone?

No you should not cheat! Even if you have no symptoms you can still be causing damage that can lead you down the road to other autoimmune diseases, related condtions and even cancer. It is just not worth it!

neuro issues can take months to clear up

• Upvote 1

It sounds like you have neuro issues from the celiac. You do not want those to progress so please be strict with the diet. Not only should you not cheat you should take great care to avoid even small amounts of cross contamination.

• Upvote 1

Nope... no cheating allowed... ever. It sounds like you don't have huge issues when you do cheat which might make it all seem more appealing/not so damaging. But it's ALL damaging... so don't DO it.

If you comply well with the diet...there is always enough cross contamination exposure to give you your minimal exposure. I would not invite defined gluten into your life. B)

OOOOPS...did someone say WELCOME! A great place you have found! ;)

Short answer: No.

You must not cheat, even a little. Each time you ingest gluten you will restart the self-destructive autoimmune reaction which attacks your body.

No cheating ever ever ever. You may cheat and not feel bad but the damage is still being done. No. Never.

I have cheated a little after diagnosed do you think this will hurt me? No big symptoms just a weakness in my legs that I cant figure out. Last week I went full control but still have soem weakness. Help anyone?

I'd agree with the probable neuro issues causing leg weakness. Some celiacs' bodies make antibodies that not only attack the gut, but parts of the nervous system. It can cause numbness and tingling, problems with balance, weakness, and control of muscles, especially the limbs. You can look up the term 'gluten ataxia' for more information.

Many neurologists will tell you that if you have neuro issues, you ESPECIALLY shouldn't cheat, because the damage can take months to heal, and some celiacs don't seem to be able to heal this type of damage completely, no matter how long they go gluten free.

I've got balance and vertigo issues, and mine can last weeks if I'm accidentally glutened. Pretty much sucks, ya know? :(

shauna