Rate this topic

I have avoided Clamato since I couldn't figure out for sure if it contained gluten (label lists vinegar - not distilled). I've seen numerous (somewhat older) posts in the forum stating that it is NOT gluten-free. I finally contacted their customer service asking if Clamato contains gluten and this is their response:

Thank you for contacting us about the presence of gluten in our Mott

FDA regs state that if it just says vinegar on the label then it would be apple cider vinegar. Malt vinegar is not safe but would be listed as such. Distilled vinegar is considered safe for us but a few of us will react to distilled gluten grains.

I have never had Clamato so can't say if it is safe for sure or not.

As noted above, the single word "vinegar" as an ingredient in the US is apple cider vinegar, which is usually also distilled. It is gluten-free.

WOW! This makes me so happy! Thanks for looking into this. Yesterday I ordered a caesar and was raving about how good it was, while wondering if it was going to affect me today. I feel fine and now I know why, no gluten! If I can't have beer, at least I will be able to have caesars!

Clamato has always been gluten-free.

richard

Just FYI though - Worchestershire sauce is *not* gluten free, so if you are having a caeser, you'll need to order it without (or make it at home with a gluten-free Worchestershire sauce -- there is at least one commericially-available).

Enjoy!

Just FYI though - Worchestershire sauce is *not* gluten free, so if you are having a caeser, you'll need to order it without (or make it at home with a gluten-free Worchestershire sauce -- there is at least one commericially-available).

Enjoy!

SOME Worcestershire sauce is, some is not. In Canada Lee & Perrins is not gluten free. In the US it is.

• Upvote 1

Gluten is a mixture of complex proteins found in the grain of wheat, barley, oats, rye, rice, corn, and other grains. All of our Mott's sauce and juice products are gluten free.

As a side note, I noticed they also believe rice, corn and 'other' grains contain gluten :)

In Canada, if you can find it, Hunt's Worcestershire Sauce is gluten-free. You may find it at a Wal-Mart Super Center. Metro's house brand, Selection, lists no ingredients that could be sources of hidden gluten.

In the US, just buy L&P.

My gluten allergies are not as symptomatic as most, so sometimes I can't tell right away if something is affecting me.  However, I drink Clamato almost religiously.  It's one of my favorite drinks, and so far I haven't noticed any adverse effects.