kimis

My Liver Enzymes Are High Again

Rate this topic

I was sent back to my gastroenterologist because my pcp suspected absorption issues after supplementing and bloodwork. My GI dr ordered various tests (along with a celiac panel to see if gluten was sneaking it's way into my diet). The celiac panel came back negative but my liver enzymes are high again. High liver enzymes on a routine blood work was what clued my doc into my celiac dx (I guess I was a "silent celiac") and my liver enzymes returned to normal after a few months on the gluten-free diet. My doc is on vacation for two weeks so I am waiting to hear from him about this recent blood work.....I HATE WAITING! So does this mean I have something else wrong with me now that my liver enzymes are high and it's not gluten doing it....or could they for some strange reason be high due to my Hashimoto's? Can Thyroid meds make your enzymes go up? Or could I have mistakenly eaten gluten before the bloodwork and it wasn't enough to make the celiac panel posotive, but enough to make the liver enzymes elivated? I would greatly appreciate any thoughs you have to offer. THANKS!

I was sent back to my gastroenterologist because my pcp suspected absorption issues after supplementing and bloodwork. My GI dr ordered various tests (along with a celiac panel to see if gluten was sneaking it's way into my diet). The celiac panel came back negative but my liver enzymes are high again. High liver enzymes on a routine blood work was what clued my doc into my celiac dx (I guess I was a "silent celiac") and my liver enzymes returned to normal after a few months on the gluten-free diet. My doc is on vacation for two weeks so I am waiting to hear from him about this recent blood work.....I HATE WAITING! So does this mean I have something else wrong with me now that my liver enzymes are high and it's not gluten doing it....or could they for some strange reason be high due to my Hashimoto's? Can Thyroid meds make your enzymes go up? Or could I have mistakenly eaten gluten before the bloodwork and it wasn't enough to make the celiac panel posotive, but enough to make the liver enzymes elivated? I would greatly appreciate any thoughs you have to offer. THANKS!

My liver enzymes have been slightly elevated at times. All they find is fatty liver, which can be caused by absorption disorders like crohn's and celiac ( I have no other risk factors for a fatty liver). However, it is always good to make sure it is nothing else

Blood liver enzymes are elevated when the liver cells are being damaged or destroyed. The Dr will do a series of tests to uncover the causes. I have not read that gluten by itself can cause this problem but many celiacs have elevated liver enzymes before going gluten-free. If this were me I would also have the tests to rule out a virus or pollutants causing the destruction but would also ask the Dr about gallstones and a clogged biliary system and parasites. I have been very successful in passing thousands of gallstones by using alternative and natural cleanses and following programs to improve digestive and whole body health.

Or could I have mistakenly eaten gluten before the bloodwork and it wasn't enough to make the celiac panel posotive, but enough to make the liver enzymes elivated?

I think that is your most likely possibility.