This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Flour

Katrala

Katrala Contributor

So last night I tried to make some blackberry muffins using a gluten-free recipe from a book and Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Flour.

The color was bad - a blue/green that made the muffins look like baby zombie heads in white wrappers.

The taste was about what I'd imagine baby zombies to taste like. It was terrible. I guess it's the beans, but it's like the taste sneaks up on you. You take a bite and it's OK at first (not great,) and then the bean flavor hits you and WHOA. That's bad.

Is there any way to make this stuff taste good?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

So last night I tried to make some blackberry muffins using a gluten-free recipe from a book and Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Flour.

The color was bad - a blue/green that made the muffins look like baby zombie heads in white wrappers.

The taste was about what I'd imagine baby zombies to taste like. It was terrible. I guess it's the beans, but it's like the taste sneaks up on you. You take a bite and it's OK at first (not great,) and then the bean flavor hits you and WHOA. That's bad.

Yikes! Baby Zombies :unsure::ph34r::lol: I think the color probably came from the blackberries ???

A lot of people simply do not like garbanzo bean flours as they do have a very distinctive taste. It also contains fava bean and sorghum flours. Perhaps you could try using a small portion of it along with a more bland gluten-free flour.

I did make German pancakes with it that were pretty good. But it's a puffy type pancake that uses very little flour. Open Original Shared Link

runningcrazy Contributor

I think thats a no, in our experience. We used to try everything to mask the taste, never worked. Its definitely the bean flour. Their bread mix is good, though! Happy baking!

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

No.

sb2178 Enthusiast

Only when mixed into a very heavily spiced apple cake with lots of apples and raisins. Otherwise, I literally used 1-2 T in any given recipe until it was gone. (Took FOREVER.)

Kinikki Newbie

No.

LOL! Actually, I use Bob's all purpose mix for scones....they're pretty darn good :)

Takala Enthusiast

LMAO ! :D:P:lol:

I haven't actually tried the all purpose mix, but I have made many recipes using garbanzo bean flour that I've added to mixes. I've also eaten bakery gluten free goods that had various types of bean flours added to them. I've made good black bean brownies which my husband liked.

There seem to be two types of people, those who can taste it, and the other kind.

Be sure it is not an old package, and store it in the refrigerator or freezer if not using it quickly. The other thing is that I do the same thing when I cook regular beans, by adding some vinegar and cumin or lemon juice. There is something about sour piquant acid and a pinch of cumin that seems to alter the bean taste. Spices such as sweet spices like a chai or chinese 5 spice mixture also seem to work, there's something about the ginger, cinnamon, and cumin in small quantities that works with it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Judy3 Contributor

I use that flour mix for chocolate cake and other recipes that have cocoa in them.. you don't taste the bean flour after it's baked. I haven't tried a yellow cake yet but I will be soon so I'll let you know. I've read that the bean flavor goes away after it's cooked but from the sounds of things here it doesn't completely :(

Chocolate lot's of chocolate!!!

Kinikki Newbie

I use that flour mix for chocolate cake and other recipes that have cocoa in them.. you don't taste the bean flour after it's baked. I haven't tried a yellow cake yet but I will be soon so I'll let you know. I've read that the bean flavor goes away after it's cooked but from the sounds of things here it doesn't completely :(

I tried to make vanilla cupcakes with it, and the end result is more muffin-like....kind of a heavier version...and the color is off white and grainy...definitely not a very good gluten-free version of white cake :)

Katrala Contributor

Glad to know that it's not just me. I think I'll go with the "using a tbs of it here and there until it's gone" advice (and keeping it in the fridge - good advice!)

Here are my poor muffins:

IMG_20110507_211709.webp

Simona19 Collaborator

I can

samuella Apprentice

Yup. :D I make a chocolate cupcake with it that's pretty good!

Coleslawcat Contributor

No sadly. I really wanted to like it. There's a Costco near me that sells the 5lb bag for about $5. The only thing I ever made with it that tasted good (and it tasted really good) was the banana bread recipe on the bag. I made it exactly according to the recipe except I added chocolate chips. After several attempts to use it for other recipes I gave up and just made a ton of banana bread and froze it to get that flour out of my house.

Kelleybean Enthusiast

LOL baby zombie heads. Now I can't get that image out of my head.

I make blueberry muffins with a mixture of almond meal flour and rice flour. I have never actually baked with Bob's - used it to thicken sauces and in pancakes and they came out OK.

WinterSong Community Regular

I use Bob's Red Mill to make chocolate chip cookies, and they actually turned out really wonderful - literally couldn't tell the difference between that and my old cookies. I haven't tried it with anything else, though.

Sarah B Apprentice

No.

Haha I agree.

I use King Arthur Gluten Free Flour and it is awesome. The food taste just like glutenly food would(And I like the taste of gluten :-) )

In fact I just made some Nestle Toll house cookies with it and it tastes great. Nobody ever notices that they are gluten free.

MyMississippi Enthusiast

I make pumpkin muffins with Bob Red Mill all purpose baking flour and I use lots of cinnamon in them. I think they taste good --- no bean taste to me.

zus888 Contributor

From what I've been reading from other people's experiences, it seems that Bob's Red Mill All Purpose seems to have a bad taste in baked goods. I used it for my homemade macaroni and cheese, and everyone LOVED it. It's the most fattening recipe for mac and cheese that exists, and I think the cheese completely masks any flavor that the flour might give.

I plan to just use it when I'm cooking, as opposed to baking.

Tina B Apprentice

I like the King Arthur all purpose gluten free flour. Very white and no garbanzo bean flour added.

Archived