This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hope This Helps :)

jay88

jay88 Apprentice

Hi everyone thought id share with everyone my good news!I have grown up with chronic insomnia roughly from the age of 6 I was always fatigued and tired and struggled throughout my childhood and then finally the breakthrough came at the age of 21 (so thats 15 years of sleeping 1 hour a night!) I decided to take an IgG food intolerance test and shown I had positive reactions for gliaden and cows milk! and now after a long wait, (about 4 months in fact!) Im officially no longer an Insomniac, i started sleeping it still takes me an hour to drop off but when i do i sleep through the night.

I do just sit there and think to myself I have been ill my whole life due to food!! its scary to think

Unfortunatly, I still have Brain fog which i can not for the life of me get rid of!

hope this gives people hope :)

James

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wheeleezdryver Community Regular

Hi everyone thought id share with everyone my good news!I have grown up with chronic insomnia roughly from the age of 6 I was always fatigued and tired and struggled throughout my childhood and then finally the breakthrough came at the age of 21 (so thats 15 years of sleeping 1 hour a night!) I decided to take an IgG food intolerance test and shown I had positive reactions for gliaden and cows milk! and now after a long wait, (about 4 months in fact!) Im officially no longer an Insomniac, i started sleeping it still takes me an hour to drop off but when i do i sleep through the night.

I do just sit there and think to myself I have been ill my whole life due to food!! its scary to think

Unfortunatly, I still have Brain fog which i can not for the life of me get rid of!

hope this gives people hope :)

James

That is great!

• 1 month later...
viviendoparajesus Apprentice

that is great your sleeping better and not having insomnia any more. my sleep got better too when i went off gluten. i used to have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep.

• 2 weeks later...
Mummyto3 Contributor

I'm another insomniac. I struggle to get to sleep and then when I do, i wake up 2 to 3 times in the night. Whats gliadin???

love2travel Mentor

I've had chronic insomnia for years but the past nearly four it has worsened due to severe chronic pain. It takes a couple of hours to fall asleep then I wake up probably 20-30 times a night. It is difficult for me to get into a good position so I must move often. :huh:

It would be AWESOME if I were to find that this is also related to my celiac. I have been strictly gluten-free nearly five months and would be thrilled if my insomnia improves on this diet.

Marilyn R Community Regular

I used to have insomina. It went away when I went gluten-free. I notice right away when I've accidently injested gluten, because I get maybe an hour's worth of sleep. I'll just lay there and wish, and thoses of you who know, I fidget. I hate the fidgets. :ph34r:

gailc Newbie

Same for me HOORAY, except when I get dosed.

I used to wake up more tired than when i went to bed, then as the day went on I'd feel better then tired around 8 and second wind around 9 then stay up until about 3.

Now i get tired around bed time and then REALLY tired and fall asleep right away. SWometimes I get tired earlier wake up about 7 hours later to discover I'd missed dinner.

I guess that's ok

I feel good when I wake up now

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Whats gliadin???

Gliadin proteins comprise one of the two main protein groups in gluten.

https://www.celiac.com/articles/8/1/What-is-gluten-What-is-gliadin/Page1.html

Newbee Contributor

Looks like I've had celiac my whole life (I'm 37) and just getting diagnosed now because I asked to be tested for it. I've never slept well. I'm soooooooo looking forward to when I heal and hopefully can sleep well!!

bartfull Rising Star

I've had insomnia all my life - sort of. I am one of those people whose biological clock is set differently. I can fall asleep quickly during the day, but after dark I would lie awake for hours. For the past ten years or so, I also had trouble staying asleep. I'd sleep for two hours, then wake up and couldn't get back to sleep. So I'd get up and read for a while, then after an hour or two I'd go back to bed and sleep another hour or two - then repeat until morning.

Since going gluten free, I sleep seven or eight hours straight, every night. If this were the ONLY benefit of a gluten free diet, it would be worth it. I feel GOOD!

lovesaceliac Newbie

Unfortunately, this hasn't been the case for my husband who has been a chronic insomniac for over ten years. Going gluten free two years ago has totally changed our life - he's healthier, happier, thinner, stronger, etc...but still has restless leg syndrome and still sleeps poorly. Sleep is definatley worse when he gets glutened, but pretty bad all the time. As someone who shares a bed with him I've noticed on his particularly bad nights (anxiety attacks, bad RLS, etc.) his whole body seems to radiate heat. He gets so warm that it's uncomfortable for me to touch him. Anyone else have additional solutions to sleep problems?

bartfull Rising Star

I know this sounds crazy, but it works for restless leg syndrome. Put a bar of soap under the bottom sheet near his legs. I'm serious. They don't know WHY it works, but it truly DOES work.

For leg cramps, try a teaspoon of mustard before bed, or if not mustard, try pickle juice. Another crazy home remedy that really works.

lovesaceliac Newbie

I just read several online testimonials about the bar of soap remedy. A miracle for some, doesn't work for others. But hey, might as well give it a try. I'm going to put it in bed tonight w/o telling him and I'll report back. :)

bartfull Rising Star

I just read several online testimonials about the bar of soap remedy. A miracle for some, doesn't work for others. But hey, might as well give it a try. I'm going to put it in bed tonight w/o telling him and I'll report back. :)

Make sure it is unwrapped.

GFinDC Veteran

B vitamins and magnesium are two remedies often suggested on this board. I used to have low grade fevers and wake up sweating a lot. Most likely there is still something in his diet that he is reacting to. Additional food intolerances are common with celiac disease. Any of the top 8 food allergens are possible or multiple foods for that matter. Soy and dairy are fairly common problems but so are nightshades, eggs, corn, nuts etc, etc.

There are a couple threads on "night sweats" on the board.

stellinpa Newbie

Unfortunately, this hasn't been the case for my husband who has been a chronic insomniac for over ten years. Going gluten free two years ago has totally changed our life - he's healthier, happier, thinner, stronger, etc...but still has restless leg syndrome and still sleeps poorly. Sleep is definatley worse when he gets glutened, but pretty bad all the time. As someone who shares a bed with him I've noticed on his particularly bad nights (anxiety attacks, bad RLS, etc.) his whole body seems to radiate heat. He gets so warm that it's uncomfortable for me to touch him. Anyone else have additional solutions to sleep problems?

I have had Restless Leg Syndrome for years. I took medication for it and it really helped me. Unfortunately the medication stopped working several months ago. Going Gluten Free did not seem to help but just recently I cut milk out of my diet and the last 2 nights I had the best sleep I've had in years! I don't know if it is related or not but it's worth a try.

He might want to see a Neurologist about his restless legs.

Archived