ked85

New Fgf Gluten-Free Dumplings Wrecked Me...

Rate this topic

I started the gluten-free diet about 2 weeks ago after coming back with negative results from Celiac. I thought maybe I had an intolerance since I have a deep family history of sensitivity to gluten.

Anyway, my hubby likes to make stir fry a lot, so I picked up Feel Good Food's Asian Style Chicken Dumplings. They sounded great, but I noticed a very chalky and chewy consistency right off the bat.

Now up until this point I've been having really amazing results from the diet - my stomach issues went away 3 days after starting and I was feeling good. But this meal wrecked me for the entire night and made me wonder if my issues are due to something else or if it was something having to do with the specific meal.

Everything was gluten free - dumplings, veggies, rice, gluten-free soy sauce. But it had me in the fetal position for several hours afterwards. Maybe I ate too fast or too much? Maybe the dumplings weren't cooked right? Has anyone else tried these from FGF and has any issues? Thanks.

These would be out for me with the soy oil and soy sauce. Not that soy is for sure out for you. They also have a mix of ingredients that any one of them could be a problem for you at least until you heal. Or it could have been something that you ate yesterday or the day before as gluten reactions can be delayed. Have you changed out stuff in your kitchen? Colanders and strainers that have been used for gluten foods, wooden cutting boards and scratched pans?

It is best to go with simple unprocessed whole foods at first. You will heal faster. We can have some ups and downs at first. Hang in there as it can take a while to feel consistantly better.

I started the gluten-free diet about 2 weeks ago after coming back with negative results from Celiac. I thought maybe I had an intolerance since I have a deep family history of sensitivity to gluten.

Anyway, my hubby likes to make stir fry a lot, so I picked up Feel Good Food's Asian Style Chicken Dumplings. They sounded great, but I noticed a very chalky and chewy consistency right off the bat.

Now up until this point I've been having really amazing results from the diet - my stomach issues went away 3 days after starting and I was feeling good. But this meal wrecked me for the entire night and made me wonder if my issues are due to something else or if it was something having to do with the specific meal.

Everything was gluten free - dumplings, veggies, rice, gluten-free soy sauce. But it had me in the fetal position for several hours afterwards. Maybe I ate too fast or too much? Maybe the dumplings weren't cooked right? Has anyone else tried these from FGF and has any issues? Thanks.

Yes, what Raven said. Def could have been cross-contamination if you have a non-gluten free person using the kitchen too. I actually have this in my freezer though and have not tried them yet, would like to see if anyone has eaten it and been okay. There are gluten test kits and I've heard of people getting positive results on something supposedly gluten free, so I wouldn't be totally surprised. But those things are pretty expensive.

So did it taste good at all even though? :unsure:

If so, I might be a guinea pig.

I'm not extremely sensitive, but just enough to warrant a gluten-free diet. I DID accidentally have a soup with regular soy sauce in it the night before when we went out to eat, and I did have a slight reaction then (just some gas and bloating, but definitely not "normal").

As for cross contamination, my SO is pretty good about cleaning off things and never had a reaction before with similar cooking methods.

I THINK, after reading the box, that he did not cook them right. They say "uncooked" on the box on the bottom, and directions say to boil or steam them before pan frying. Well, he skipped that step and just pan fried. Maybe my reaction was from the under cooked filling? I heard nothing but rave reviews for these dumplings and was very surprised when they didn't meet my expectations.

I will have to do another test on my own and update this post with the results. But a lesson learned: read the directions <_<

I've had these dumplings several times and absolutely love them. Moreover, I've never had any trouble with them upsetting my stomach. The company that makes them ran a gluten-free restaurant in NYC for a long time that was well known and respected as being very careful with CC, so I would be very surprised if there was any issues with these dumplings being truly gluten-free.

I just wanted to chime in for these dumplings because I love them. I'm severely gluten intolerant - not celiac, but I will be out of commission for days if I ingest any gluten - and have not had any bad reaction from eating these. It is true that you have to cook them properly as they do contain raw meats.

The pan frying method leaves them pretty gooey and break-y though. What my girlfriend and I do is actually use a bamboo steamer and steam the dumplings for 15-20 minutes on a cabbage leaf (so they don't stick to the bottom of the steamer) like they do in chinese restaurants. They come out perfect like this! Try this way next time and you won't have to worry about cross contamination either since the steamer will be brand new for you!