color_me_confused

Same Oven, Same Time A Problem?

Rate this topic

I got my hands on a small gluten-free spinach lasagna from a local bakery. They have a separate freezer, separate kitchen, etc. for their gluten-free items. We cooked it at home in an oven at the same time as a conventional lasagna. This morning I had lots of stomach upset, a migraine, basically the symptoms I'm coming to associate with gluten exposure. Not too bad though, I was over it in a few hours. So: same oven, same time, bad idea? I'm thinking yes, this wasn't my brightest idea. Another possibility is that my cracker eating offspring were dipping their hands into the same bowl of fruit salad that I was snacking from - they're little, I can't blame them for that ;) - and I wound up eating some of their cracker crumbs.

and in other efforts to avoid cross-contamination I'm tossing our wooden spoons in favor of some Tovolo brand stainless steel/silicone rubber mixing spoons. I haven't used the wood spoons for anything and they get run thru the dishwasher routinely, but their presence in the kitchen makes me nervous.

Another possibility is that my cracker eating offspring were dipping their hands into the same bowl of fruit salad that I was snacking from - they're little, I can't blame them for that ;) - and I wound up eating some of their cracker crumbs.

I think CC is the stronger possiblity. You may want to consider having a gluten free home at least until you are well healed. There are many safe gluten-free snacks that the little ones can have like Snyders pretzels, gluten-free crackers or corn chips, fruit etc. It is hard to keep yourself safe with little ones getting crumbs all over the place. If it is impossible to make your home gluten free do make sure that you seperate out your safe portion before they begin snacking.

I think CC is the stronger possiblity. You may want to consider having a gluten free home at least until you are well healed. There are many safe gluten-free snacks that the little ones can have like Snyders pretzels, gluten-free crackers or corn chips, fruit etc. It is hard to keep yourself safe with little ones getting crumbs all over the place. If it is impossible to make your home gluten free do make sure that you seperate out your safe portion before they begin snacking.

I think you're right. It's not like baking pasta gets vaporized or anything...just some steam comes out! Darn kids :P Next time I'll just pre-serve myself from the communal bowl and not worry about it. They're 5 and 7, and while they know I'm avoiding some foods this isn't their problem to keep track of!

I think you're right. It's not like baking pasta gets vaporized or anything...just some steam comes out! Darn kids :P Next time I'll just pre-serve myself from the communal bowl and not worry about it. They're 5 and 7, and while they know I'm avoiding some foods this isn't their problem to keep track of!

While as you said it is your issue do be aware that at any time it could become their issue as well because celiac is very strongly genetic. Do explain it to them in simple terms and they are old enough to grasp that gluten foods make Mommy very sick. Some mixed households will have the children eat gluten foods in only one place, like at a table for example. They are also old enough to learn to curb their crumbs or wipe down the table when they are done with their gluten snacks. Do not bake gluten flour foods as the flour will become airborne and you will breathe it in. Betty Crocker makes some good gluten-free cake and cookie mixes as does The Gluten Free Pantry. They are very good and many gluten eaters won't even know they are eating a gluten-free treat unless they are told.

Also do get the children tested now that you are diagnosed even if they don't have tummy troubles. Celiac can present first with learning and behavior issues and only occasional tummy upsets that can long be thought to be 'just a virus'. They should also be retested at puberty or at any point that they start to become symptomatic.

While as you said it is your issue do be aware that at any time it could become their issue as well because celiac is very strongly genetic. Do explain it to them in simple terms and they are old enough to grasp that gluten foods make Mommy very sick. Some mixed households will have the children eat gluten foods in only one place, like at a table for example. They are also old enough to learn to curb their crumbs or wipe down the table when they are done with their gluten snacks. Do not bake gluten flour foods as the flour will become airborne and you will breathe it in. Betty Crocker makes some good gluten-free cake and cookie mixes as does The Gluten Free Pantry. They are very good and many gluten eaters won't even know they are eating a gluten-free treat unless they are told.

Also do get the children tested now that you are diagnosed even if they don't have tummy troubles. Celiac can present first with learning and behavior issues and only occasional tummy upsets that can long be thought to be 'just a virus'. They should also be retested at puberty or at any point that they start to become symptomatic.

thanks for the suggestions! (although it's Daddy, not Mommy ;)). We're actually in the process of investigating the younger one for his tendency towards infections of various types. I will ask the pediatrician to check for celiac antibodies as we get more blood work done.

My older son was being a bit of a PITA for a bit ("no gluten? Yuck!") until I tried a batch of the King Arthur gluten-free muffins with blueberries recently. He's now agreed to judge based on taste, not gluten content...

thanks for the suggestions! (although it's Daddy, not Mommy ;)). We're actually in the process of investigating the younger one for his tendency towards infections of various types. I will ask the pediatrician to check for celiac antibodies as we get more blood work done.

My older son was being a bit of a PITA for a bit ("no gluten? Yuck!") until I tried a batch of the King Arthur gluten-free muffins with blueberries recently. He's now agreed to judge based on taste, not gluten content...

I have a 4 & 6 year old. We have gently turned the house gluten-free except for their school sandwich bread. They have griped a little, but they got over it. We do different crunchy snacks now, like carrots, corn chips, popcorn, gluten-free pretzels, etc. I am educating them about gluten and the crumbs - they are learning to ask me to help with the sandwich bread so I can control it and also teach them how to do it properly. FYI - they tested negative, but I can see behavioral changes especially with bedtime / sleeping, and their frustration levels. Also my 4 yr old has not had to use her nebulizer (breathing treatment) at all even though she's had several colds that in the past would have ended up with asthma-type symptoms. plus no "my tummy hurts" have come around either. So all-in-all, it's a good thing!

• Upvote 1