This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

First Of Many Questions

Kitt

Kitt Rookie

My doctor who is working with me regarding bio-identical hormone therapy recommended I go gluten-free. My therapist (has celiacs) made the same suggestion several months ago.

I hesitated because my husband has no problem with his belly and issues involving gluten. I can't force him to go gluten free. He has a basket of his own physical issues that keep us on our toes.

Now, the question. Can I be around wheat/rye/barley, not eat it and not have problems? Making toast or sandwiches?

Oops, another question, told you!!! If I get crumbs in the margarine, does that contaminate it for me?

Thanks, Kitt

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Yes you can be around regualar bread, you just need to be careful. If you touch it to make sandwiches or toast wash your hands after handling it. You will need your own toaster for gluten free bread. Yes, crumbs in the margarine (or peanut butter, or mayo, etc) will contaminate it. It's best if you get all your own condiments and label them as yours or as gluten-free. Some other kitchen things that you will need to buy new for gluten-free only food prep include: wooden spoons, non stick pans, scrached plastic, wooden or plastic cutting boards and colanders/strainers.

You should not do things that involve baking with wheat flour because the dust goes airborne, can settle on surfaces or items that are meant for gluten-free food prep and can be inhaled, possibly making you sick. You may want to designate areas of the kitchen as gluten-free-only zones and make at least one gluten-free countertop area where only yoru food is prepared. Finally, many people here do have mixed households, but just as many also fidn tha thtey are super sensitive to cc or it is just too hard to prepare two meals all the time. You will have to do what works best for you. Hopefully if taking your household gluten-free ends up being required for you to have good health your husband will understand. My household is gluten-free, but my husband is not--he gets all the gltuen he wants between restaruants, work goodies and friends parties. We joke that he is the "designated eater" when we go somewhere and I can not eat anything there. :P

killernj13 Enthusiast

All depends on your personal opionion on how you want to feel. If you have Celiac Disease you are suppossed to be completly gluten free. There are some on this board that are highly sensitive and they have competely gluten free homes, separate toasters / pots and pans etc. There are others that will not knowingly ingest gluten but are not as concerned about cross contamination etc.

I am the only one in my home that is gluten free and seem to be handling it well.

Lisa Mentor

My doctor who is working with me regarding bio-identical hormone therapy recommended I go gluten-free. My therapist (has celiacs) made the same suggestion several months ago.

I hesitated because my husband has no problem with his belly and issues involving gluten. I can't force him to go gluten free. He has a basket of his own physical issues that keep us on our toes.

Now, the question. Can I be around wheat/rye/barley, not eat it and not have problems? Making toast or sandwiches?

Oops, another question, told you!!! If I get crumbs in the margarine, does that contaminate it for me?

Thanks, Kitt

Welcome Kitt!

Does you doctor suspect that you have Celiac Disease? If so, you should be tested prior to beginning the diet. Otherwise, your results may not be accurate. Whether you need to be 100% gluten free depends on the reason your doctors is suggesting the diet. I do know that oh so often Celiac is diagnosed as a secondary issue....and then the primary diagnosis gets resolved or lessoned after beginning the gluten free diet. :D

Those of us with Celiac or Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance, must be as completely gluten free as possible.

I live in a shared house with a gluten eater. We have worked out a good plan. I get squeeze condiments when possible. And the rule of the house is "no double dipping", after spreading your peanut butter on whole wheat bread. I prefer real butter, he prefers margarine.

Most of our meals are gluten free, but naturally gluten free. The only gluten free substitute I use is pasta and loaf bread (and I usually make croutons out of it). We eat every well! :D

Hope this helps.

jayjay57 Newbie

You mention that your husband does not have any belly issues but a host of other health concerns. Just a little something for you to maybe do some more research on....stomach isssues are not the only sign of gluten sensitvity be it just an intolerence or celiac. It can mimic many other health problems as well. To be honest the more I read the more I think everyone who has health problems could quite possibly benefit from a gluten free lifestyle.

Kitt Rookie

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to answer my questions. I'm sure this is going to be a learning process.

I don't know the reason the doctor told me to go gluten free, but she said she could just look at me and see hormone imbalances (eventhough she had the saliva results which indicated I was a mess hormonally).

I'm going to do the designated containers for myself so there will be no cross contamination.

It's only been 2 days and I think but not willing to swear to it, but I might be feeling better. Is it too soon to expect results?

Lisa Mentor

I don't know the reason the doctor told me to go gluten free, but she said she could just look at me and see hormone imbalances (eventhough she had the saliva results which indicated I was a mess hormonally).

I would suggest you question your doctor more about the reason she would like you to begin the diet. It might make a large difference in how compliant you need to be with the diet.

The gluten free diet is a lifestyle change. I would want a good reason to enforce/support my motivation. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived