jennifer47

Early Pregnancy Issues

Rate this topic

I am newly pregnant, I think just 4 weeks today. I was diagnosed with celiac in December. I have a two-year-old son.

My healing journey has been...slow. It's kind of felt like two steps forward, one step back. Things will be going well for a week, then I get hit with a few days of diarrhea. Although, my energy levels have been WAY better and my iron levels have recovered (ferritin was 4 in Dec, and 20 in Mar).

Anyways, the past two days have been BAD. Today especially. I woke up to D. After breakfast and a snack, more. Still more after a brief errand. I haven't been this bad in months! Even my bad days since Dec. have involved just one or maybe two bathroom trips, but with lots of loose stools. I haven't seen this level in a while. Could it be more related to pregnancy than anything else? Do I need to be concerned from a celiac point of view?

I currently am eating only whole foods. Mostly meat, eggs veggies, fruit, nuts. Grains not too often. I eat a lot of raw fruits and veggies, as with the two-year-old I need easy snacks and food! I often have salad with chicken for a meal (it's easy!). So, although I have heard that raw produce may not help D, cooking it all seems like a big chore for me right now. I am taking a prenatal vitamin, fish oil pills, vitamin D. All are gluten-free.

Anyone had similar experience? Or any insight? What can I eat to both soothe my gut and nourish a pregnancy? I've also wondered about other supplements...particularly probiotics or digestive enzymes? Would those help?

Thanks a lot!

When I was first pregnant I had the opposite than I did with Collin which was severe C....the C finally hit at 5 months (I am 21 weeks now) but holy cow.

I had d with this one until 2 months, and my OB said it was just my hormones, some women have "double morning sickness" (his words) which means they have D and nausea/etc.

I guess every baby is different... try brown rice, and bananas, that helped me a lot.

Good luck, you'll be as big as I am in no time LOL

Can you switch your salads to being made from cooked fruit/veg? It's relatively easy to pull frozen veg from freezer to fridge in the morning or the night before. Then you can toss with meat/dressing, etc. Something like broccoli would be good. Bake a potato in the microwave, toss with dressing and defrosted frozen green beans, tuna, dressing...

Raw fruit/veg are generally a bad idea for my GI system when unhappy.