Rate this topic

Hello everyone,

For those experts at understanding test results, I would appreciate any feedback! (Why the doctor meets with you when GIVING the blood test, but not when receiving the results is beyond me.)

Going down the list, I seemed to be doing fine until I got to the gliadin peptide Ab, IgA.

Tissue Transglutaminase AB, IgA (tTG Ab, IgA): 13.2 - reference range, less than 20, so this is within range

Gliadin Peptide Antibodies, IgG, : 11.1 - reference range, less than 20 so this is within range

Gliadin Peptide Ab, IgA : 40 - reference range, less than 20, so this is NOT within range.

Might anyone know what this means? I typed the three tests pretty much word for word.

Also, my hemoglobin was out of range, low (11.5), and so was my MCHC (Mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration), also low (29.9).

I've been gluten free (with a diagnosis of celiac disease) for just over a year.

Thank you.

Plumbago

Well, the antigliadin IGA (aka AGA IGA) means you are still being exposed somewhat. Eating out, shared kitchen, toiletries, prepared/packaged foods...

Unless there are bits of gluten entering your intestines, that wouldn't normally show up. However, if you had very high positive tests one year ago, that could be slow coming back to normal. Typically, you expect to see normal or near normal levels after a year except when the diagnosis tests showed very high values. Do you have your previous test values?

The anemia also indicates that you probably have some malabsorption going on, so possibly still active celiac disease. I'd get stricter with the diet and schedule repeat tests in 3 or 6 months.

BTW, I've taken to asking to have to bloodwork done first and then the appointment. It confuses the office staff a bit and you usually have to persuade a nurse to order the tests, but it generally works better in terms of actually discussing results. If you're far from the lab, that could be pain but I'm close.

Well, the antigliadin IGA (aka AGA IGA) means you are still being exposed somewhat. Eating out, shared kitchen, toiletries, prepared/packaged foods...

Unless there are bits of gluten entering your intestines, that wouldn't normally show up. However, if you had very high positive tests one year ago, that could be slow coming back to normal. Typically, you expect to see normal or near normal levels after a year except when the diagnosis tests showed very high values. Do you have your previous test values?

The anemia also indicates that you probably have some malabsorption going on, so possibly still active celiac disease. I'd get stricter with the diet and schedule repeat tests in 3 or 6 months.

BTW, I've taken to asking to have to bloodwork done first and then the appointment. It confuses the office staff a bit and you usually have to persuade a nurse to order the tests, but it generally works better in terms of actually discussing results. If you're far from the lab, that could be pain but I'm close.

The thing is, I'm not sure I'm comparing apples to apples. Meaning, the previous blood work I had done was in October 2010, and at that time, the test I had done (one of 4) was "deamidated gliadin abs, iga." It was not the "gliadin peptide ab, iga." I'm not sure if that's the exact same or not.

In October 2010, the deamidated gliadin abs, iga was "normal" - 11. And the range was 0-19.

Another question on my most recent test, in light of your answer (thank you very much!) is what of the other two tests from this last time? That is to say the tTg Ab, IgA, and the Gliadin Peptide AB, IgG both of which were normal? Can I take that as a sign of progress?

Oh, and YES - the blood work I had pre-diagnosis, EVERYthing was high.