DesertDogs

Great Value Original Liquid Eggs

Rate this topic

I've been off gluten for 3 weeks now and have had a wonderful recovery. However, this morning I had a gluten reaction and I was completely surprised! The 'new foods' I had yesterday:

1. Wonderlabs Gluten-free Quercitin and Bromelain (took for 2 days prior to reaction)

2. Great Value Cut Green Beans (Ingredients: Green Beans, Water, Salt) It's interesting that these are not touted as being gluten free on this link, but the French Style Green Beans clearly state that they are naturally gluten free...

3. Fresh corn on the cob.

4. Great Value Original Liquid Eggs These are listed as "Believed" to be Gluten Free here, but I suspect there's something in the "Natural Flavor" ingredient. The Egg Whites Product says it's "Confirmed" gluten-free.

Cross-contamination is not an issue as no one here eats gluten.

So, I suspect the liquid eggs. I just wanted to post and see if anyone had any input or experience with this product.

Thanks. :)

There could have been a CC at the factory as well :(

I'd single those out, one at a time and see what does it.

Cross-contamination can occur at any point on the production path.

I've been off gluten for 3 weeks now and have had a wonderful recovery. However, this morning I had a gluten reaction and I was completely surprised! The 'new foods' I had yesterday:

1. Wonderlabs Gluten-free Quercitin and Bromelain (took for 2 days prior to reaction)

2. Great Value Cut Green Beans (Ingredients: Green Beans, Water, Salt) It's interesting that these are not touted as being gluten free on this link, but the French Style Green Beans clearly state that they are naturally gluten free...

3. Fresh corn on the cob.

4. Great Value Original Liquid Eggs These are listed as "Believed" to be Gluten Free here, but I suspect there's something in the "Natural Flavor" ingredient. The Egg Whites Product says it's "Confirmed" gluten-free.

So, I suspect the liquid eggs. I just wanted to post and see if anyone had any input or experience with this product.

Thanks. :)

Did you call the 800 number on the Great Value package? Very nice group of folks who are supplied with the most up-to-date information available.

"natural flavors" can contain anything here in the U.S.A.

• Upvote 1

"natural flavors" can contain anything here in the U.S.A.

Wheat would have to be disclosed under FALCPA.

Barley could conceivably hide there, although in practice it is listed as "malt flavor."

Shelley Case, RD, in her book Gluten-Free Diet: A Comprehensive Resource Guide says,

It would be rare to find a "natural or artificial flavoring" containing gluten because: (a) hydrolyzed wheat protein cannot be hidden under the term "flavor," and (B) barley malt extract or barley malt flavoring is almost always declared as "barley malt extract" or "barley malt flavoring." For this reason, most experts do not restrict natural and artificial flavorings in the gluten-free diet.

Remember, too, that you've only been off gluten for three weeks. It's possible that you were just having a bad healing day. Feel better!