CourtneyLee

My School Doesn't Understand

Rate this topic

I'm in my last year of high school, and I do food technology as a subject, meaning, we cook once a week. I have tried to tell them that I can't eat the food we cook, regardless if it has gluten in it or not, because of the fact that things with gluten in them have been cooked using the same utensils. same pots & pants, etc. They don't understand and I'm getting really frustrated. :(

This is mainly just a little rant, but do you guys have and ideas of what I could do?

Can you bring in your own pans and utensils to use? You would have to label them well and probably keep them in your locker so that you know that no one else uses them. But this could be a great opportunity for you to learn to cook new gluten-free meals AND show your class that gluten-free food can be tasty. I think the only problem would be if the class bakes something with flour. You may need to get out of class those days or wear a face mask to protect yourself from the airborne gluten (and of course anything you cook on the day the flour is used may not be safe for your to eat).

• Upvote 1

Can't you simply refuse to eat the prepared food or maybe take a small amount and toss it or just let it sit untouched. Perhaps a note from your doctor or parents about the risks of cross contamination also might help.

Simple, go to the 504 plan councler or the principle. By law they are not allowed to force you do do something such as this. Under the ADA, they have to accomidate you. If that means not eating the food, so be it.

(i had to take that class once, i understand fully)

• Upvote 3

I agree with the last poster. Also the school nurse & guidance counselor should be involved... our kids cook for four years for a 6 week period each year...we take care of the issue every year before school starts...

Our choices are to video tape cooking gluten-free of course at home & bringingin the final product, go to the library &do an extra book report on cooking. Extra gym class. We did not want to be in the cooking classroom because of all the FLYING flour.Plus flour can stay air borne for hours...

They can not make you do this class unless they want a law suit....Have you taken in a copy of your celiac dx's?

mamaw

I vote for a Doctor's note and a link to this site. They can read about how important CC is and that you really can't be in there. There is no reason why they can't find an alternative for you. I like the idea of a project you do at home planning gluten-free meals and cooking them on Video.

My son is so sensitive that he can't even be in the room with flour. He did home study for the cooking portion of his "Home and Careers" class. I provided a doctors note and had a few meetings with teacher and counselor. My son doesn't have a 504 plan.

504 will give special accomodations. A doctor's explanation of what is going on is very necessary. A visit to the counselor would also be wise.