firefightersgal

gluten-free Flour Question

Rate this topic

Do you notice that a certain gluten-free flour or common ingredient has a weird aftertaste? I notice it a lot in Bob's Red Mill cookie and bread mixes. I baked a loaf of bread mix that had so much potential. It had a great texture and looked beautiful...but it had that dreadful aftertaste. Do you know what I'm talking about?

Do you notice that a certain gluten-free flour or common ingredient has a weird aftertaste? I notice it a lot in Bob's Red Mill cookie and bread mixes. I baked a loaf of bread mix that had so much potential. It had a great texture and looked beautiful...but it had that dreadful aftertaste. Do you know what I'm talking about?

I suspect it's the bean flour that you dislike.

It could be the tapioca. They had a bad batch last winter/fall. They replaced mine for me and the new batch was fine.

I suspect it's the bean flour that you dislike.

I agree. I dislike all of the bean flours. Some people (me included) really notice the beany flavor, while others don't seem to taste it all.

I learned very quickly that I don't like anything with bean flour in the ingredients. I can taste the beans very strongly. I like the rice/tapioca/potato type combinations better.

We react to Bob's RM Flour ... And we think millet flour has an after taste...

I learned very quickly that I don't like anything with bean flour in the ingredients. I can taste the beans very strongly. I like the rice/tapioca/potato type combinations better.

Have you tried sorghum and buckwheat (which is not wheat :blink: )?? I incorporate sorghum into all my mixes for the nutrition (and I can't do soy or potato), and I also use quite a bit of buckwheat in breads especially. I shy away from millet and amaranth, avoid quinoa and cannot have beans.

Have you tried sorghum and buckwheat (which is not wheat :blink: )?? I incorporate sorghum into all my mixes for the nutrition (and I can't do soy or potato), and I also use quite a bit of buckwheat in breads especially. I shy away from millet and amaranth, avoid quinoa and cannot have beans.

I use Tom Sawyer for baking now. It's more expensive but worth it to me. Before I used that my favorite blend was sorghum, tapioca, and potato starch. I actually liked that one quite a bit.