Ruth

15Yo School Trip To London& Edinburgh

Rate this topic

My 15 year old is going to London/Edinburgh for two weeks with a school group. She has celiac and multiple food allergies.

She is very well versed in working with waitstaff and finding food in supermarkets, however, she has never had to do this outside of the US.

I am sending her with emergency food, but would like some easy to find "go to" shops/restuarants/products to list for her.

She is allergic to tree nuts/peanuts as well as carrots, strawberries, peppers So grabbing a salad doesn't work for her.

Thanks for any advice/input.

Ruth

I just came back from England and can say that most major grocery stores have a gluten-free section There is a line of food products called "Free From" Which might work for her.

At the last count (things change) Marks and Spencer and Starbucks offered a gluten free sandwich, as do Waitrose (a less ubiquitous supermarket)--good for on-the-go travel. Last time in London I ate Indian food and Vietnamese; there are some other small chains that other people will know of (I have only been to London briefly). Pret a Manger sandwich shops do different kinds of ready-made salads, and have information on the different ingredients. Baked potatoes can quite often be substituted for fries in restaurants.

All major supermarkets have a gluten free section (Sainsbury's, Tesco, Asda, Morrisons). There is a Whole Foods in London though I have never been. gluten-free fresh bread is available in the major supermarkets, and is very good.

You can't buy Larabars there, so a box of these might be worth packing. Also some gluten-free soy sauce perhaps.

There was a similar thread started on the international forum you might want to check out.

I live in England, used to live in London. There is a huge range now which is comforting. Like previous users have said the Free From range is very good and Marks And Spencers have a lot of free from food, get her to try percy pigs (sweets) they are amazing :) Oh and Mrs Crimbles Coconut Macaroons I always find are a good travelling food to have.

No need to bring gluten free soya sauce. Tamarind sauce is freely available in health shops. As well as individually owned health shops there is a chain called Holland & Barrat who stock this. Coeliac Uk provide members with a food and drink directory. Perhaps if you contacted them on www.coeliac.org.uk and explained they would give you access to their online version.