This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Opinions On L Glutamine?

MissBonnie

MissBonnie Apprentice

has anyone taken L Glutamine tablets for celiac damage? if so, what results have you had? are they worth it? im in bed every couple of days in pain. and no im not being glutened im literally living on fruit and veg and im still like this. i just have lots of damage :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rosetapper23 Explorer

I can highly recommend L-Glutamine. I've taken it myself with great results, and it's often mentioned at celiac conferences as being helpful with healing the gut.

MissBonnie Apprentice

i have 1000mg capsules and it says take 1-5 per day. how many is enough? i was thinking 2 capsules twice a day maybe??

Myou Newbie

I just recently began using L Glutamine, as it was suggested to me by a few other recovering Celiacs, and I really have nothing but praise for it. I generally take it once every week, or if I happen to get "glutened."

Now, I was skeptical at first when I read on a forum that the supplement appeared to shorten the duration of accidental gluten episodes. But as things turned out, I ended up having to put it to the test, just a few weeks ago! After an accidental contamination, I decided to ingest a few capsules just after realizing I got glutened...and I was absolutely shocked and pleased to find that my symptoms seemed to only last about half as long as usual (3 days of torture, shortened to a day and a half).

However, I understand there is some danger to taking L Glutamine daily, since everyday use can lead to chronic diarrhea. I tend to take a 500MG capsule about once a week, with fine results. My system does seem to be a bit happier with it's help.

Good luck!

Dennis429 Rookie

Mine are 500mg and it says to take one a day so that is all I take. It does seem to help me.

txplowgirl Enthusiast

I started out with the tablets then one day I ran out and went to get some more and all they had was the powder. I think I like the powder better. It hits faster and relieves my symptoms faster. You can mix with water or whatever beverage you like to drink.

rosetapper23 Explorer

I just read another thread that you started, and it seems that you're feeling quite ill at this time. There is a product that might help you tremendously that includes L-Glutamine (500 mg). It comes in powder form (I add mine to a smoothie) and may need a doctor's prescription. I'm not sure about that, though, because I think I saw it listed online. I had to order it through my doctor and pick it up at his office. It's called Metagenics UltraClear Sustain and states on it, "nutritional support for the management of leaky gut syndrome." This is what my doctor recommended when I first started seeing him, and he told me, "I'm going to make you feel as though you don't have celiac at all." I truly didn't believe him, but this product brought me back from the brink of despair. It actually made me feel like a "normal" person--and no diarrhea (yay!!). When I first started taking it, I also began taking a probiotic called "Probiotic Pearls." The two products together made me a new person, but I believe that if you can get Sustain, you'll start feeling better a lot sooner.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MissBonnie Apprentice

sustain huh? im willing to give anything a try at the moment. im in australia, i wonder if its available here?

rosetapper23 Explorer

Oh, you're in Australia!! My daughter lives in Sydney....and I love OZ! I'm saving up my money to return there in March.

As for whether or not it's available there, I don't know. The company is somewhere in the San Francisco Bay Area, and that's where I live. If a doctor there is willing to prescribe it, let's work out a way to get it to Oz, okay? I could include it with a shipment to my daughter, and she could post it to you. Let me know--I would love to see you get better.

MissBonnie Apprentice

Oh, you're in Australia!! My daughter lives in Sydney....and I love OZ! I'm saving up my money to return there in March.

As for whether or not it's available there, I don't know. The company is somewhere in the San Francisco Bay Area, and that's where I live. If a doctor there is willing to prescribe it, let's work out a way to get it to Oz, okay? I could include it with a shipment to my daughter, and she could post it to you. Let me know--I would love to see you get better.

ohh wow! yes get over here you will love it! but come in the summer.

i looked it up and you can get it here! ill have to try some :) thanks for the suggestion.

rosetapper23 Explorer

Unfortunately, going in the summer won't happen for me--the flights are too expensive then, and my daughter's place doesn't have air conditioning. She lives in a place four blocks from Bondi Beach (it's kind of like a large dorm with five rooms that are rented out to young people). Last year, I went in early September, and the weather was fantastic. However, I can't save up enough $$ to go again this year in September, so my next best shot will be March because the weather should still be somewhat warm....but not too cold.

Where do you live in Australia? I know that you just recently went gluten free, but did you know that the Tea Room at the QVB has a gluten-free tea? My daughter treated me to tea as a belated Mother's Day gift, and it was SO special! If I could swing it, I would move to Australia--I loved everything about it. You're so lucky! And you have so many gluten-free choices! My favorite gluten-free cookies can be found at the supermarket: Butterfingers. You really must try them--they don't have the consistency or taste of gluten-free cookies at all. My daughter sends me several boxes on my birthday and for Christmas.

I'm glad you can get the Sustain there--if you try it, I think you'll start feeling better a lot sooner.

MissBonnie Apprentice

oh march weather is even better! thats perfect! i live in Adelide, South Australia. i love it here, we get a perfect 4 seasons every year. we have alot of gluten free places to eat and our main supermarkets have heaps of choices too. i even found a couple of gluten free bakeries that have no gluten kept anywhere near them which is fantastic! now that ive found all these things i never want to move :)

rosetapper23 Explorer

You Aussies are soooooo lucky!!! The experience of living gluten free is so much easier there. When I visited my daughter last September, she drive me to Hunter Valley for some winetasting, and I was worried about where we would be able to eat. It turns out that I had nothing to fear--we found restaurants that offered the option of having my sandwich made on gluten-free bread. That simply doesn't happen here! How I would love to go to an American restaurant and order a sandwich or hamburger....alas, I don't see this happening very soon. I did hear that Subway may offer gluten-free rolls sometime in the future, but they're only doing a trial in Texas at the moment.

Can't wait to go back to Oz!!

MissBonnie Apprentice

yes i heard that about subway too! it will take so long to get to oz though..

we are quite lucky here with all our food choices. other countries seem to have no idea what celiac even is half the time whereas australia has lots of info about it

Archived