Celiac Disease FAQ | This site uses cookies GDPR notice. Read more... ×
anerissara

Top Three Worst Gf Products

Rate this topic

My top choices:

Pasta: Tinkyada

Breads: Foods by George english muffins and Udi's bagels, whole grain bread, and hamburger buns

Namaste Flour Blend and Pancake mixes - I've used as a substitute in standard baking recipes and people can't tell the difference

Most of the gluten-free macaroni just don't seem to do the cheese sauce right. The last time we did it, I bought a box of Kraft, threw the noodles out, and used the sauce on some Quinoa elbows. Mmmmmm. Just like I remember it from childhood.

...that.. is THE most brilliant thing I have ever heard!! lol how did I not think of this?! Velveeta here I come!

I tried Udi's bread..it was okay but when I asked on the thyroid group I was on about bread Rudi's was brought up...similar name I know. Udi's and Rudi's..that could get confusing for some :P But I find Rudi's awesome. Really good ESPECIALLY for toast. YUM!

I've had that before and it is disgusting. From now on, if I want Ranch dressing, I'll make it homemade.

Oh crap. I have an unopened bottle.

Not a fan of Udi's except hamburger and hot dog buns. Like Rudi's sandwich bread.

Anything Glutino except the pretzels are vile. Ok, I did eat the chocolate donuts. Kinnikinnick donuts are viler (is that a word?).

Schar chocolate wafers are edible. Hubs gagged on Pamela's cookies.

Against the Grain products are fabulous!!

Guest gfcfinfo

Top 3: UK.

Any supermarket free from foods which all have cross contamination and not put on the labels.

Eat Natural - state they are gluten free but their glucose syrup is from wheat - not disclosed on packaging.

Dove's Farm - lots of gluten free flours, etc. but all with cross contamination issues.

Top 3:

Any supermarket free from foods which all have cross contamination and not put on the labels.

Eat Natural - state they are gluten free but their glucose syrup is from wheat - not disclosed on packaging.

Dove's Farm - lots of gluten free flours, etc. but all with cross contamination issues.

I think these are not in the US?

I was just thinking of starting a thread about the best commercial breads out there. I found this thread very helpful. I have only been gluten-free for about a week.

I don't remember the brands, but years ago, my son had a wheat allergy so I bought 1 each of rice and corn pasta, but the corn pasta was slimy. The rice pasta became one giant mass of i don't know what to call it. I bought a box of Quinoa for myself to try and I'll be sure not to over cook it. If I don't like it, I'll try out the Tinkyada brand so many seem to have good results with. I'm really not happy about not having *any* "real" breads anymore :(

Ladyrhedd

Haha, after ready all the negative comments about Ener-G Bread I looked up a picture and realized it was the first brand I tried. TERRIBLE!!!!!!!! It wouldn't even cut without crumbling apart, and it tasted like sandy styrofoam. I guess they just stay in business from new celiacs buying it for their first time.

• Upvote 1

Haha, after ready all the negative comments about Ener-G Bread I looked up a picture and realized it was the first brand I tried. TERRIBLE!!!!!!!! It wouldn't even cut without crumbling apart, and it tasted like sandy styrofoam. I guess they just stay in business from new celiacs buying it for their first time.

You know what Ener-g bread is really good for? Stuffing, for thanksgiving. It holds shape really well and has no flavor, so it just soaks up whatever you add to it! Only time I buy it.

Wonder if they increase their production at thanksgiving??? :)

I haven't tried a lot of gluten free items since I try to stick with the naturally gluten free items and make things from scratch but these are my top 3 worst gluten free foods:

1. Ener-g rice bread - It was the first gluten free bread I tried. I made a sandwich with it and did not toast it. The bread fell apart completely and looked like sawdust. The few parts that didn't completely turn to powder didn't taste very good either.

2. Bob's Red Mill wonderful bread mix and Bob's red mill all purpose flour - all you can taste is a weird beany flavor. I made ginger snap cookies with the flour and they were just off tasting. Maybe I just don't like chickpea flour cause it's flavor overpowers anything else you put in the recipe.

3. Gluten Free Pantry chicken noodle soup- disgusting! It didn't have a broth consistency like chicken noodle soup is supposed to have. It was kinda thick. It didn't even taste like chicken and there was a grittiness mixed in there too. Not a good substitute for Campbell's, that's for sure. I will stick with making my own soup!

Top 3 best gluten free foods I've tried (there are many more than this though)

1. Trader Joe's gluten free ginger snap cookies- so crispy and gingery. Yum! Too bad I have to drive so far to get to a Trader Joe's

2. Snyder's gluten free pretzels- taste like pretzels and have the right texture; nothing weird about them

3. Kinnikinnick multigrain bread- great for toast and sandwiches. There are sunflower seeds in it too. It reminds me of the oatnut bread I used to get.

Orgrans version of gluten free canned spaghetti (like Chef BoyarDee)... my daughter and I were so excited about these and made an event out of opening the can, heating them up and them getting ready to eat... when we put the first bite in our mouth we were instantly like "YUCK!!!!!!" The pasta had been soakiing in the sauce so long it was mush and the sauce had a really odd flavor

I was coming in to say there's only one, and this is it!  My dog was given it, he's a dog, he eats anything he can get to.  He was wagging his little tail when I put it in his bowl, came running over, ate a little then looked at me with sad eyes like he was asking me why I was trying to kill him.  I thought maybe the can had been left in the heat or something, so bought another one from another place, same thing.  Gave up on it after that.  Yuck!

I was sitting here eating dinner...ate a cookie for dessert...and just about barfed. blink.gif

Seriously, I can't get the taste of this dam* cookie out of my mouth. dry.gif

It's Enjoy Life "soft baked chewy chocolate chip cookies"...OMG, yuck! huh.gif

-Julie (I'll be back on later...I gotta go brush my teeth!) mellow.gif

I agree!!!

I bought the Enjoy Life soft chocolate chip cookies - and they were disgusting!!! After 1 cookie, I threw the rest away