This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Top Three Worst Gf Products

anerissara

Nutmegger Rookie

I am quite convinced that once you reach a certain circle of Hell, Ener-G bread is what Satan himself feeds you. It takes a very advanced level of skill to create a foodstuff so entirely offensive as that. And yet they keep selling it! This, I will never understand...

I love Glutino, but their frozen macaroni and cheese is really gross. By the time the serving has finished heating, the cheese has completely dissolved into nothing but an oily, yellow-tinted film over the noodles. Their other frozen dinners are pretty good, but that one is unforgivable.

While others swear by them, I have to say that Food for Life's brown rice breads are really dreadful, at least to my tastes. They're /so/ dense that they make my jaw hurt just to chew them. Plus, the loaves are so tiny that a full sandwich seems more like half of one. Gluten-Free Pantry's sandwich bread mix is so much better, not to mention cheaper, at least in my area.

And, if I may include a fourth, Enjoy Life's Cocoa Loco bars look like, feel like, smell like, and I suspect even taste like what I clean out of the litter box.

Now, to give some love to a few commonly knocked items...

I really like Nu-World Amaranth-Berry Hot Cereal. Yes, it's a little plain on its own, but if you mix in some cinnamon, it's fantastic. Really! It's a big comfort food for me.

A lot of people don't like the texture and consistency, but I could eat Glutino's Apple & Cinnamon cereal for every meal.

Some friends have complained about the overpowering ginger of Trader Joe's gluten-free ginger snaps, but that's exactly why I like them! If you don't like ginger, don't eat ginger snaps?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sweetfudge Community Regular
I am quite convinced that once you reach a certain circle of Hell, Ener-G bread is what Satan himself feeds you. It takes a very advanced level of skill to create a foodstuff so entirely offensive as that. And yet they keep selling it! This, I will never understand...

:lol: LOL!! :lol:

just thought i'd share my opinion on the ener-g bread. i bought a couple loaves when first dx-ed a year ago (been sitting in my pantry since. was very desperate for bread last week, so i ripped open a bag to make some tuna melts. kinda like eating your food on a paper plate, except you're eating the plate! anyway, i survived that one.

so i decided i had to do SOMETHING with that bread...so i used it as bread crumbs in a delicious turkey meatball cacciatore soup recipe that i saw on the rachael ray show. turned out FABULOUS! very moist and flavorful meatballs! i threw the rest of the bread in the freezer and will be using it up on my next batch! so if you have a loaf or two stashed away, there is hope!! ;)

JennyC Enthusiast
:lol: LOL!! :lol:

just thought i'd share my opinion on the ener-g bread. i bought a couple loaves when first dx-ed a year ago (been sitting in my pantry since. was very desperate for bread last week, so i ripped open a bag to make some tuna melts. kinda like eating your food on a paper plate, except you're eating the plate! anyway, i survived that one.

so i decided i had to do SOMETHING with that bread...so i used it as bread crumbs in a delicious turkey meatball cacciatore soup recipe that i saw on the rachael ray show. turned out FABULOUS! very moist and flavorful meatballs! i threw the rest of the bread in the freezer and will be using it up on my next batch! so if you have a loaf or two stashed away, there is hope!! ;)

I imagine lots of people have a loaf or two stuffed away! :lol: We have had a loaf for about 4 months, but it's still good. I think I'll use it for bread cubes and use it for stuffing. I think I read Ener-G bread makes good stuffing.

ab123 Rookie

Worst:

-These Health Valley rice bran cookie/cracker thing. I dont know..I guess it was more of a non crunchy graham cracker. I dont know how to explain it except nasty.

- Annie's Mac and Cheese

- Ener-G bread. This was the first bread I tried post-gluten free and got so upset thinking that they were all going to taste like this!

-Nutty Rice cereal

Best:

-Midel oreos

- Kinikinik hamburger buns. Ive been known to go into a resturaunt and order a bunless hamburger and put it on one of these.

- my grandma's cookies. She can buy any brand of gluten free cookie or flour mix and make it perfectly taste like a gluten filled cookie!

-Mrs Leppers boxed meals. They are like hamburger/tuna/chicken helper. Great for college when you need a quick meal!

Sweetfudge Community Regular
Worst:

-These Health Valley rice bran cookie/cracker thing. I dont know..I guess it was more of a non crunchy graham cracker. I dont know how to explain it except nasty.

- Annie's Mac and Cheese

- Ener-G bread. This was the first bread I tried post-gluten free and got so upset thinking that they were all going to taste like this!

-Nutty Rice cereal

Best:

-Midel oreos

- Kinikinik hamburger buns. Ive been known to go into a resturaunt and order a bunless hamburger and put it on one of these.

- my grandma's cookies. She can buy any brand of gluten free cookie or flour mix and make it perfectly taste like a gluten filled cookie!

-Mrs Leppers boxed meals. They are like hamburger/tuna/chicken helper. Great for college when you need a quick meal!

OMG I love the Nutty Rice cereal! it's kinda plain on its own, but i love adding fruit to it! so good! but then...pre-dx, i was the only kid on the block who enjoyed eating cereals like plain cheerios. :P

loraleena Contributor

Here it is :

HOL-grain rice crackers!

NU-world amaranth cereal. Tasted like fresh dirt from the garden

Ener-g breads

I do however love Nanas cookies and so does my non-gluten free son.

We all have different tastes!

Cherry Tart Apprentice

These responses are cracking me up! So glad I'm not the only one experiencing this...

The Good

1. Cookies and Cakes from Sweet Addictions Bakery in Montclair, Calif. (tastes like the real thing!)

2. Tomato Basil Bread from Whole Foods

3. Brown Rice Pasta from Trader Joes

The Bad

1. Nana's cookies - they look delectable, but they taste like sweet sawdust - bleh! <_<

2. All corn pastas - they go from al dente to super-glue in seconds

3. Glutino Breakfast Bars - they looked amazing in the glossy picture on the box. I bought 2 boxes (at $7.99 each! :blink: ), they were awful! I tried to give them away - no one would take them!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BCK Newbie
Oh we're just having fun with some of our least fave. products... There are plenty of really good products out there, but also, you will do best on a diet of fresh fruits and vegetables, clean meats (organic, no antibiotics or hormones AND cooked with natural seasonings), rice, potatoes... things like that. Food in it's simplest form is best, but if you just HAVE to HAVE gluten free versions of your fave things, it may take some trial and error before you find products you like.

I didn't know knickknick has chocolate glazed donuts! I have to try those! :P

woolwhippet Explorer
:lol: I go through bowls and bowls of hot air popcorn. Nothing wrong with that stuff!

Tasha, it's Save on Foods that will be trying to get it in here. Did you find Amy's and Tinkyada in a big grocery, or a health food in Victoria? Darn, I was just there the first week of Aug.

Maybe the save on foods manager could contact the manager at Planet Oranic (my second home here in victoria) and share supplier info? Here is a link to their website: Open Original Shared Link

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast
:P OK, I'm in trouble....I really haven't done much off the shelf buying of prepared gluten free products...that Ener-G rice bread at $6-7 a pop was so expensive and so bleah dry sour...I wasn't willing to risk that much money on that much disappointment...

But oh boy, fat city here I come. what with all the praise of Pamela's cookies, I was in a health food store today getting another bottle of lactobacillus and ta-daaaa, they had some of the brands people have been praising...like Pamela's chocolate chip cookies, a mere $3.99 for 12 cookies (ouch!) but I bought some, drove to a "remote location" (thank you Dick Cheney for that permanent addition to our vocabulary) and ATE FOUR. I'm sure my recuperated GI tract will stick every calorie right on my hips.

I might as well get a double-wide task chair right now :D

I look forward to getting into some baking once it gets cold enough not to want to be outside by the way....great posts on the baking forum by people.

you only ate four? I can eat the whole box of the pecan shortbread in one sitting!

sharps45 Apprentice

Just about any of the cereals are just awful to me. I tried the Perky-O's (cinnamon and frosted) and while the first bite was good, by the time the second (and the aftertaste) got to my taste buds, I actually yacked it up into the sink! The Gorilla munch also gagged me (plus being harder than concrete). Arrowhead Mills Maple Buckwheat flakes taste very good but get slimy when wet! It seems like the texture of most non-wheat products is slimy. I'll stick with puffed brown rice and Trix (until the changed boxes get to my area).

So far of the prepared stuff I've tried Tinkyada pastas are pretty good. Health Valley Rice and Corn cereals are close to Chex. The Van's frozen waffles are okay (hoping to find some Kinnikinick somewhere). I mostly just mix up my own waffles and pancake mixes.

I'm heading into the big city this week to find some more stuff to try. I love this thread, so keep it going so I can keep from spending cash on gross stuff!

• 1 year later...
glutenfreebaker Newbie
Ok guys, I know that I have very limited resources where I live, but I must be missing something. Ener-g bread is the best gluten-free bread we have found. We were very excited that they just started making light versions of their rice and tapioca bread. I'm not saying that I love the stuff, but compared to the others we have tried it was definently the winner. So please, whatever I am missing help me. What kind of bread do you guys eat? I am basically limited to internet ordering, so websites would be greatly appreciated. thanx

PLEASE do yourself a favor and order bread that doesn't taste like drywall. The grainless baker makes buns that when microwaved for 45 seconds look, smell and taste just like wheat bread. If you can't get those then gillians or even glutino makes better bread than energ. If you must stick with energ then at least buy the "seattle buns"

Lisa16 Collaborator

Biggest bummers:

1. Ener-g bread. Come on! I mean really. How can they sell this stuff?

2. Panaderos lemon flavored cookies-- they are flavored dust. Good God!

3. DeBole's pasta. Whoa nelly. Slime city.

4. Van waffles. What is up with these? They are hard as hockey pucks.

5. Gluten free pantry mixes. I have never (NEVER) had one turn out right.

Best:

1. Glutino pretzels

2. Pamela's pancake mix

3. Lifestram wildberry waffles

4. Pamela's cookies

5. Glutino crackers (ritz style)

Jaimepsalm63 Rookie

1. Ok, I have to agree that Ener-g white bread is made for the float things that you throw in the pool for the kids to swim after or for the dog as frisbees. I pray the squirrels won't die on my property...or worse yet run after me and bite me with their little rabid lips when they take a bite. (1 loaf bought and used for other things than eating....bleah!)

Number 2: Quinoa pasta. I used to decorate wedding cakes and help with receptions for weddings. I know how to cook/bake. If you aren't watching this stuff it's mushy almost immediately. When it does that it reminds me of kindergarten paste.

Number 3: I'm not a fan of nut thins. I know some people are crazy about them, but I hate them! I'm not a nut fan. I have a huge box of it from a retreat (and they kindly gave me the rest of them even though I never touched them....) and no one is wanting to take it off my hands.

My favorites:

Pamela's brownies!!!! YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!

UDI's blueberry muffins (you can get them at participating King Sooper's)

Pamela's pancake mix

That's my list of top/bottom 3....

gfmolly Contributor

Threads like this can be so fun!!

A couple of disagreements though-I actually had Nana's cookies before I was gluten free and liked them!! Oh well!

And Chebe breadsticks and pizza crust are good to me as well.

Least favs:

1. Energ Rice bread of course

2. Quinoa pasta was pretty nasty

3. Glutino cereal bars-weird aftertaste

Favs:

1. Pamela's anything, but especially the chocolate chunk cookies

2. Namaste chocolate cake mix

3. Trader Joe's mini beef tacos

nutrifoodie Apprentice

This is a great thread! While I have not delved too much into gluten-free packaged goods, here is what I've come up with..

Worst

Ener-g's Bread

Enjoy Life's Cinnamon Crunch Granola - it does make a good topping for baked bananas in a ramekin if you soak them in some rice/almond/coconut milk before hand

gluten-free graham crackers - don't remember what brand, but they had this funky after taste

Annie's mustard - I had 1 tsp and had to get rid of it!

Foods by George Blueberry Muffins - bad aftertaste, interesting texture that you can't "heat" up right

Best

Nana Cookies- I am so surprised most all of you hate them! I really enjoy them :) I admit, sometimes you do get a "bad batch" and they seem really dry, but break them off bit by bit (don't put a huge bit in your mouth) and dip them in almond/coconut/rice milk and they are amazing. PB goes well too! The lemon, chocolate, and ginger are my fav. The chocolate ones are more dry than the others, so I always inspect the package before I buy.

Mother's Peanut Butter and Cocoa bumpers - (wheat free, not gluten-free (oat flour))

Tinkyada pasta - of course!

Annie's Organic Ketchup - SOO amazing

Lara Bars

Panda Puffs (before I couldn't have soy)

Midel Gingersnaps (before I couldn't have soy)

Whole foods Morning Glory Muffins - soo tasty

Whole foods sourdough bread - from croutons to bread to french toast

Foods by George brownies - amazing

TURTLE MOUNTAIN COCONUT MILK ICECREAM!!!!!!

ooh, food :D

LuvMoosic4life Collaborator

On Corn Pasta: The quinou corn past is actually pretty good (I think) Open Original Shared Link

I havent tried too many bad products actually. BUT I wanted to buy something this week b/c I happened to have a few extra dollars. I bought what is called "HOL GRAIN CRACKERS" in a brown box. They almost look like triscuits on the cover. I spent nearly $4.00 on it. They werent un-edible, but DEFINITLY not worth 4 dollars!!!! I couldve got pamelas cookies instead!!!!!!!!!! The rice in these crackers gets stuck into my teeth. I had to eat an apple afterwards to clean them out :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
nutbutters Rookie
Just about any of the cereals are just awful to me. I tried the Perky-O's (cinnamon and frosted) and while the first bite was good, by the time the second (and the aftertaste) got to my taste buds, I actually yacked it up into the sink! The Gorilla munch also gagged me (plus being harder than concrete). Arrowhead Mills Maple Buckwheat flakes taste very good but get slimy when wet! It seems like the texture of most non-wheat products is slimy. I'll stick with puffed brown rice and Trix (until the changed boxes get to my area).

So far of the prepared stuff I've tried Tinkyada pastas are pretty good. Health Valley Rice and Corn cereals are close to Chex. The Van's frozen waffles are okay (hoping to find some Kinnikinick somewhere). I mostly just mix up my own waffles and pancake mixes.

I'm heading into the big city this week to find some more stuff to try. I love this thread, so keep it going so I can keep from spending cash on gross stuff!

I love Gorilla Munch!! With almond milk, they're perfect (I'm casein sensitive - perhaps intolerant...). It tastes like Kix. I spent a long time just eating Rice Chex over the past few months since it's "the special cereal" my school ordered for me. I went to the local supermarket, discovered Gorilla Munch and I like it a lot. Granted, these are the only two gluten-free cereals I have tried since I was diagnosed just this summer.

As for worst products, I hate to say it but I *hate* Amy's frozen rice mac and cheese.

I am not a fan of Food for Life Brown Rice Bread.

I also don't like Glutano gluten-free crackers. Gross! I've found that I do like the Glutino gluten-free multigrain crackers. Those are pretty good.

dollamasgetceliac? Explorer

I like the Ener-g doughnuts :D

the rest of the Ener-g bricks should be kept in a fallout shelter.

:D

babinsky Apprentice
I like the Ener-g doughnuts :D

the rest of the Ener-g bricks should be kept in a fallout shelter.

:D

I have spit out so many things I can't even remember them all..LOL

Ener-G bread is probably the worst of the worst

On the good side

Trader Joe's flourless chocolate walnut cookies

Kinikinnick chocolate dounuts

Kinikinnick white bread makes great french toast...you have to make sure you soak it well

Contes cheese ravioli....my son who is not Celiac will no longer eat the regular kind

caek-is-a-lie Explorer

Haha, ok I'll bite. (no pun intended) I'm new to gluten-free eating but I have one that was probably mostly my fault for cooking it wrong:

Bob's Red Mill Brownie Mix

First I tried using a mixer to mix them. zomg! Big mistake! The entire batter instantly melded into a giant solid ball of chocolate and clung to the top of the mixer. So I got out a spoon and had a dickens of a time getting the batter of the beaters.

Then I only had a 9x9 pan to bake them in, so into the oven it went. The middle never cooked completely. While the edges were pretty tasty, the center was goo and a day later I ate some and my throat burned something awful. I have since purchased a new 9x13 pan. hehe

Now to make up for that, my super yummy life saver: Glutino Vanilla Dream cookies!! Expensive but worth every penny. Oh what would I do without them? [/drool] I see they have a chocolate flavor, too. I hope they're even better!

digmom1014 Enthusiast
Ugh, that Ener-G bread. Why on earth do stores keep stocking it? Is it because every new celiac buys one loaf initially, thus making it appear to be a popular item?

This made me laugh so hard I slobbered all over the keyboard!

3.)I have not found a pre-made cookie that actually tasted like a cookie. Includes; Nana's, Pamela's, and Trader Joe's Ginger Snaps.

2.)Corn pasta-that is what their gluten-free pasta is a Miaggiano's restaurant and the excelent sauce couldn't even cover it up!

1.)Dr. McDougal's split pea soup. This is a dry soup you add water to, I thought it would be good to keep in mt desk drawer at work---Yuck!!

1.) I like the Trader Joe's brand brownies-I add my own extra's to them and freeze them.

2) Big into Glutino pretzels-but they are $6 something a bag!

3.) I like the really thin rice crackers you find in the asian section of your grocery store.

psawyer Proficient
I have not found a pre-made cookie that actually tasted like a cookie. Includes; Nana's, Pamela's, and Trader Joe's Ginger Snaps.
Try Ktoos by Kinnikinnick. They look and taste like Oreos. Available in some stores, and online at longest-river-in-South-America dot com.
Kristin2 Newbie

Lentil bean pasta! The first pasta I ever made, and had to feed to the garbage disposal. I thought I'd never be able to do a gluten free diet after that! Good thing I learned otherwise!

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast

I love this! I have to add my son's and my two cents....

Least Fav: Glutino breakfast bars, Enjoy Life breakfast bars, Enjoy Life bagels, Glutino frozen mac & cheese

Most Fav: Whole Foods corn bread, Whole Foods cheddar biscuits, Amy's frozen mac & cheese, Andrea's Fine Gluten Free Foods cheese pizza, Kinnikinik donuts (all flavors), Tinkyada pasta, Glutino frozen cheese pizza

Archived