This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Woo Hoo! I Got A House Yesterday

jenngolightly

jenngolightly Contributor

I got the keys to my new house yesterday and all the appliances work! I haven't had an oven since last October and my cook top hasn't been fully operational for years. I'm more excited about the appliances than anything else. The maple full length cabinets are beautiful and have slide-out shelves. There's even a huge pantry! It's an open floor plan so I can be with my family while I cook. My old house had a kitchen that was closed off from the rest of the house so I hated cooking.

I'm so so so happy. It just needs a good cleaning now. I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenngolightly Contributor

I'm wondering if I should make my house gluten-free.

I got rid of my husband who was putting gluten in my food "just to see if you'd get sick."

So now I'm left with just me, my 19 yo son, and 15 yo daughter.

We eat mostly gluten-free anyway...

What do you all think? What's your experience and why did you choose it?

lynnelise Apprentice

Congratulations on the new house! :)

I would go ahead and make things 100% gluten free. The only exception to this in my home is some regular cereal for my husband on occassion (though he usually decides to get something we can both eat) and some frozen chicken pot pies. He has an unhealthy obsession with those but I don't mind as they microwave in their own package for the most part. He has gotten to where he likes almost all the gluten-free breads, pastas, and snacks that I buy.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

That's great news!!!!! Your house sounds wonderful and everything works. Since you have been mostly gluten free already I would go ahead and make your new home a gluten free zone.

kareng Grand Master

Yeah!

I have 2 boys 15 & 18 now. I am the only one that needs to be gluten-free. I have a cabinet with a counter top, next to the fridge. its not close to the sink or the stove top or regular food prep area. WE keep the cereal, crackers, pretzels, etc there. they get a plate and take it over to the food prep counter, get cheese slices & cold cuts , apples,carrots, etc from the fridge & put these gluten-free things on the plate. Then they take the plate to the gluten station & get the bread. If they use chips that I might eat, they pour them out. I put red tape on my margarine tub, PB, jam. They just leave those alone. I don't use thier pb. They use the old pans for gluten things like pasta. We use the new pans for everything else.

This works for us. Your kids are old enough to manage thier crackers and snack stuff. I had to watch them for a couple of months to make sure it became a habit. If they screw up, like put the crackers on the plate and then cut a few slices off the cheese chunk, I don't freak. They just admit it and we write Jeff (my oldest) on the baggie. (he's going to college so we may have to change it to Matt or NO!) When they have friends over, I just assume any potato chips, cheese slices, etc are no longer gluten-free.

I'm for easy. Most of the food we eat is gluten-free and was gluten-free 15 years ago. Chili, chicken, potato, etc.

It helps that my boys are terrified I might get sick and they get stuck with extra chores. :)

cahill Collaborator

Congratulations on the new house :)

As to a totally gluten free house,,, At 19 and 15 they are old enough to respect what ever choice you make.If it where me,,,, I would go totally gluten free in the house and tell them if they eat gluten it should be when they are away from the house.There is always a danger of CC even in the carefullest home.You may be pleasantly surprised how much better you feel with all the gluten out of your home.

Archived