Jestgar

Beet Pancakes

Rate this topic

Let me preface this by saying that I like beets, and I don't eat a lot of sugar in general.

The back story:

I make some version of primal pancakes occasionally using ground nuts, eggs, and a bit of sweetener. I don't make them very sweet because I like to use the leftover pancakes as 'bread' later in the day. I had been wondering if I could use dates or something as the sweetener to get away from using sugar.

So this morning I wake up in the mood for pancakes. Again the question of what to use for sweetener. I look in the fridge and see three leftover roasted beets, so what the heck, let's try it.

The recipe:

Food process about a cup of mixed almonds and walnuts.

Throw in three roasted, peeled beets and process until smooth mush.

Throw in three eggs. Mine were small so maybe two extra large eggs.

Throw in ~ 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp baking powder.

Puree until blended.

Pour in maybe 1/3 cup of sparkling water. Pulse. Add more until it's the consistency you want.

Cook as normal pancakes.

These are only slightly sweet, taste faintly of beets, and are amazingly tender. They won't work for bread, but you could pile them with berries and they'd be incredible. I'm sitting here stuffing myself with them right off the griddle. :D

Honey is still just straight sugar. I try to use more complex sweeteners to minimize the blood sugar rush.

That is a very interesting recipe. Thanks for sharing! I have to admit it's early in the morning for me and I thought this thread title said "best pancakes". Pancakes are my favorite meal so I'm always lookign for new recipes. This is a pleasant surprise however. I have been looking for some new foods to try. I don't think I have ever eaten a beet in my life. So can you tell me how would I go about picking out good beets at the store and how would I roast them if I wanted to try to this recipe with the leftovers? I have roasted many other vegetables (from cabbage to garlic), but I'm a beet newbie so please explain like I'm a three year old. :lol:

Those sound really good, Jess--I eat that way too so I'm gonna give it a shot :)

Just thinkin'....I wonder if you could alternately use roasted carrots and add some cinnamon and nutmeg for "carrot cake pancakes"?

Top wif a little pineapple.....

Just thinkin'....I wonder if you could alternately use roasted carrots and add some cinnamon and nutmeg for "carrot cake pancakes"?

Top wif a little pineapple.....

mmmmmm

I choose beets the way I would choose sweet potatoes. Firm, not soft, not wrinkly. You can wash them and bake the the way you would a potato, skin on for 30 - 45 minutes at 350. When they are soft, let them cool and remove the skins.

They can stain, so be careful, and they make the pancake batter a lovely pink. :)

• Upvote 1