This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Need Me A Cure To Procrastination!

Newtoitall

Newtoitall Enthusiast

honestly I know it's a redundent question but I figure why not ask, to humor myself?

Anyone ever fight the good fight of being one of those people that procrastinates but hoenstly Doesn't mean to?

Ever find a way to beat it? lol

I know someones going to say "just do it" or something like that lol so I will say it first!

but srsly, procrastination...discuss

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I'll post something tomorrow. ;)

sa1937 Community Regular

...and if I gave you advice, it would be the blind leading the blind! :lol: :lol: :lol:

mushroom Proficient

I would have to think about it :lol:

wildwood Apprentice

There is a website flylady.net that gives tips on organization and anti-procrastination. The fly lady says that procrastination is due to perfectionism. I thought that sounded a little out there, but when I thought about it she was absolutely right. Alot of people tell themselves if you can't get it all done, why start at all. I know when there are jobs I just don't want to do or just seem daunting I follow her advice and set the timer for 15 minutes. If I want to continue I do, but if not I have at least started the job and give myself permission to walk away if I have completed the 15 minutes. You would be surprised how far you can get working on something at 15 minute intervals a few times a day. She says you can do anything for 15 minutes at a time and she is right. I use this concept for yard work, closet cleaning, work I bring home from my job, etc. I have to admit I was never in the dire straights that alot of her followers are, but I have found it to be good advice that has stuck with me. 15 minutes at a time actually works!

CarolinaKip Community Regular

That is the story to my life...I'll do it tomorrow,tomorrow and then tomorrow!! :P I'll do it..that's just how I am, just like I am NOT a morning person. There are times I just MAKE myself do things! Gluten has nothing to do with it either..... for me anyway.....I have always put certain things off until the last minute. Still do, but trying to be beter at it!

mushroom Proficient

I always work best under pressure, that's why I'm sitting here now with company coming for the week and I need to clean out my refrigerator and clean up my kitchen and fix a meal, and .... :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Wow, I thought it was just me! :P I need to clean house, I need to go grocery shopping, I need to clean out my truck and what did I do all day? Settin on the couch playing on puter. Couldn't get motivated to do nothing at all. B)

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Somebody mentioned the FlyLady. Honestly, I've been doing the FlyLady thing since about a year now and I've pretty much brought my household under control. I used to be the biggest procrastinator and slob. FlyLady turned my life around literally. I also sat in front of the computer a lot and couldn't get motivated. Give it a shot, it's an awesome community, too, just like here. They also have a forum, and a chat, where the FlyBabies (like the FlyLady followers call themselves) play exciting cleaning and de-clutter games, which hugely so motivate, I have to say. If you don't try it, it's your own fault, that you never get done anything :P

Oh, and I wouldn't say, that it's not connected to celiac. There seems to be a hightened number of ADD/ADHD sufferers in the celiac community also, because gluten messes up the brain. And most of the FlyLady stuff is being based on helping slobs, procrastinators, etc., which are mainly people with ADD/ADHD. So the FlyLady might just be able to help celiacs and gluten intolerant people. In fact, I have met about 10 celiacs or relatives of celiacs on the chat in the past already. So it might just be connected in some way. ;)

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Somebody mentioned the FlyLady. Honestly, I've been doing the FlyLady thing since about a year now and I've pretty much brought my household under control. I used to be the biggest procrastinator and slob. FlyLady turned my life around literally. I also sat in front of the computer a lot and couldn't get motivated. Give it a shot, it's an awesome community, too, just like here. They also have a forum, and a chat, where the FlyBabies (like the FlyLady followers call themselves) play exciting cleaning and de-clutter games, which hugely so motivate, I have to say. If you don't try it, it's your own fault, that you never get done anything :P

Oh, and I wouldn't say, that it's not connected to celiac. There seems to be a hightened number of ADD/ADHD sufferers in the celiac community also, because gluten messes up the brain. And most of the FlyLady stuff is being based on helping slobs, procrastinators, etc., which are mainly people with ADD/ADHD. So the FlyLady might just be able to help celiacs and gluten intolerant people. In fact, I have met about 10 celiacs or relatives of celiacs on the chat in the past already. So it might just be connected in some way. ;)

Just joined, I hope it helps, :P

You have to go to the chat before you read anything else. The games can really draw you in. Here's the link:

Open Original Shared Link

Glad I could help. If you see a LoyalSteffi, that's me.

Oh, and you need to sign in as a guest. Everybody does. Just check the guest box and pick a name and then go in. It'll be alright. If you introduce yourself and admit that you can't get started or pro-crastinate and if somebody can explain to you what to do first, they'll fill you in. It's a "working" chat. There's always somebody there.

mushroom Proficient

I already pretty much do the 15 minute trip because that's about as long as I can work standing up because of my back. Need me a little sitdown in front of the computer for a bit. :blink:

tarnalberry Community Regular

When I hear myself say "I'll do something later", I say "why not do it now?" Unless there is a GOOD reason (and "because I don't want to" is NOT a good reason), I say "well, then, I should get off my arse and do it". It's hard - it's a practice - but being aware that you ARE making the choice is (in the moment) is a good first step.

kareng Grand Master

Thanks Stef & Wildwood. My son needs to do a major purge of his room before going to college in August. I'm going to tell him to do the 15 minute thing. I think he will go longer if he is still in the middle of a section. Hoping, anyway. :)

Jestgar Rising Star

I lie to myself.

"ok, I'll clean the living room later, but I'll just pick up all the papers right now, so when I do clean it'll be easier". "Not doing the dishes yet, but I'll just empty the dishwasher so when I do have time I can just get going." and so on.

Eventually everything's pretty much done and I haven't started anything yet. :P

nikki-uk Enthusiast

I like the 15 minute rule and really, really did intend to try it out to tackle my son's bedroom......

BUT I didn't get round to it ph34r.gifdry.gif

TOMORRROW!!!!! tongue.gif

Newtoitall Enthusiast

I'll post something tomorrow. ;)

XD well played, gave me a good lolz.

and good to know lots of ppl are in the same boat xD

will have to check out that flylady site..in a bit =p

To Karen: They do have a great section for Kids in the FlyLady program. I'm getting their e-mails. I chose for daily delivery and every few days there is an e-mail for "The kids challenge". When I'm bored I read into them. Sometimes they have great motivators and "games" to get the room cleaned. It's pretty cool. The last thing I remember, that I read was, that the "mission" the kiddos got was to "wade" through their socks bin and give the ripped or worn socks to mom and dad to throw out (or inspect). And another one was "set timer for 15 minutes, get a bin and throw all battery operated toys that work no longer in and give it to mom". Another one was the PUPA game (pick up put away) and yet another one was "grab 5 things you don't want anymore in 10 minutes and sell or give away to another child, who wants it (with mom/dad's help). Little stuff like that does get the job done little by litte. And what they do, you don't have to do. I found it very neat. :D My son turs 4 in August and once he begins to understand I will definitely let him do that. Right now he helps me with putting away laundry, doing the dishes (I took out the knives beforehand of course), vacuum cleaning, doing the floors, cleaning the windows. Throwing out his own diapers. He is setting his own table in the morning and cleaning it off after he's done and helps me bring out the trash. He stirs up ingredients for me also, when I cook. He's very independent already and sometimes even gets a fit, if I don't let him do it. I set it up as games. Of course it takes a little longer, but it's more fun that way :P and he learns something for life. My intention is to raise him in typical FlyLady manner. Men need to help nowadays, too. So far it worked.

I even sometimes use the FlyLady ideas for my kids classes. Like FlyLady teaches them to put their toys away and setting a timer and making it into a game. I let my student race each other by putting the matts away. The winner gets a price in form of a foam jewel, that they can trade in for other goodies once the time to trade it in comes. The more foam jewels you can trade in for good behavior and doing your stuff, the bigger the "price". If you have older kids, that receive pocket money already, you can play the money game. Boy, your kids will be so clean you can eat off the floor. I'll promise ;) .

kareng Grand Master

To Karen: They do have a great section for Kids in the FlyLady program. I'm getting their e-mails. I chose for daily delivery and every few days there is an e-mail for "The kids challenge". When I'm bored I read into them. Sometimes they have great motivators and "games" to get the room cleaned. It's pretty cool. The last thing I remember, that I read was, that the "mission" the kiddos got was to "wade" through their socks bin and give the ripped or worn socks to mom and dad to throw out (or inspect). And another one was "set timer for 15 minutes, get a bin and throw all battery operated toys that work no longer in and give it to mom". Another one was the PUPA game (pick up put away) and yet another one was "grab 5 things you don't want anymore in 10 minutes and sell or give away to another child, who wants it (with mom/dad's help). Little stuff like that does get the job done little by litte. And what they do, you don't have to do. I found it very neat. :D My son turs 4 in August and once he begins to understand I will definitely let him do that. Right now he helps me with putting away laundry, doing the dishes (I took out the knives beforehand of course), vacuum cleaning, doing the floors, cleaning the windows. Throwing out his own diapers. He is setting his own table in the morning and cleaning it off after he's done and helps me bring out the trash. He stirs up ingredients for me also, when I cook. He's very independent already and sometimes even gets a fit, if I don't let him do it. I set it up as games. Of course it takes a little longer, but it's more fun that way :P and he learns something for life. My intention is to raise him in typical FlyLady manner. Men need to help nowadays, too. So far it worked.

Stef- my boys are 18 & 15. I told him he can't go to college & leave his room that way. I did suggest he do the 15 minutes or 1 small section at a time. :)

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I lie to myself.

"ok, I'll clean the living room later, but I'll just pick up all the papers right now, so when I do clean it'll be easier". "Not doing the dishes yet, but I'll just empty the dishwasher so when I do have time I can just get going." and so on.

Eventually everything's pretty much done and I haven't started anything yet. :P

I love it!! I can so see this working for me. It is very similar to what I do anyway. For me I have to make a list. Not a list of every single thing I need to do. I just play a little "what if" game with myself in order to make the list. I think, "What if someone called and said they needed to come over right away and they would be here within the hour or half hour...what would I need to pick up or clean to get the place looking halfway decent." What if there was a fire in the house next store and my neighbors needed to come into my place to call for help or to use the restroom, what would I be MOST embarrased about them seeing mess-wise. I list the biggest messes and start there. I usually find that I end up doing more than what is on my list once I get started. Fly Lady never worked for me although I think she is pushing a similar concept of starting with one thing and doing more once you get your motiviation. I just never liked that her starting activities were deep-cleaning things that may or may not need to be done in my house--like shining the sink. I don't really care about the sink shining. I would rather focus on getting it empty (no dirty dishes) and clean first and if there is time I will make it shine. Getting those dirty dishes done motivates me more to do other things than having a shiny sink with a pile of dishes still sitting next to it.

Jestgar Rising Star

Fly Lady never worked for me although I think she is pushing a similar concept of starting with one thing and doing more once you get your motiviation. I just never liked that her starting activities were deep-cleaning things that may or may not need to be done in my house--like shining the sink.

I got as far as the 'get dressed' step and decided that she was for people who don't get dressed every morning and race off to work. I need more of a Gnat Lady, someone who teaches you how to organize the least you need to do in order to still appear respectable. :P

kareng Grand Master

I got as far as the 'get dressed' step and decided that she was for people who don't get dressed every morning and race off to work. I need more of a Gnat Lady, someone who teaches you how to organize the least you need to do in order to still appear respectable. :P

That's who I follow! :P

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

LOL! Me too! :lol: I also have to admit I really had trouble with her insisting upon shoes in the house too. I don't allow anyone to wear shoes in my house and if I'm wearing shoes it means I'm going somewhere. If I get up and put on shoes right away my next step is out the door to go somewhere...by habit I would do this and never get anything done at home. :D Also if I'm wearing shoes everyday I'm less likely to notice how dirty my carpet and floor are. When Iwalk around barefoot everywhere I'm more likely to see/feel that the kitchen floor needs a good mopping and get it done so I don't have to feel the grittiness.

Jestgar Rising Star

When I walk around barefoot everywhere I'm more likely to see/feel that the kitchen floor needs a good mopping and get it done so I don't have to feel the grittiness.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Me too! How else would you know when to do it?

Archived