This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sick Or Starving/any Advice?

DianeSeekingInfo

DianeSeekingInfo Rookie

Have you considered smoothies with pea protein and/or hemp protein?

Thanks so much for the replies. I have tried both pea protein and hemp protein (both is small quantities to start, etc.--never "over did it") and have similar reaction as to soy--not as bad as gluten and corn, but still a day of suffering with D, gas, cramping, nausau, etc. until it moves through. I can do limited amounts of hulled hemp seeds and chia seeds a day, which I will dutifully maintain. When I add more/too much these I also have problems.

Am determined to keep trying, just worried I'm still not getting enough protein and this could prove detremental in long run, etc.

Thanks again. The information and knowledge you guys pass out here every day is truly remarkable, empowering and life changing. Thanks again.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Marilyn R Community Regular

I'm sorry we have not been able to give you more help. We have covered a lot of foods already that you cannot eat. Perhaps we could help you better if you list what your DO eat currently? There are many different vegetables out there and maybe there are some new ones you could try to give you more variety/nutrition?

I second GFManna, it would help if you list what hyou eat. The other thing that lept out out me was that you couldn't tolerate cocunut milk. Could it be an additive in the canned milk that you can't handle? (I think almost all of us have had problems with chemical additives.

I know it's really difficult to change from a vegan diet. I found chilled Italian canned tuna in oil on top of greens and hearts of palm with a squirt of fresh lemon or lime palatable. (You can add a miriad of other fresh vegetables, and even fruit.) It's more importantant to heal than to stick to old ways of doing things or old eating habits. :(

chasbari Apprentice

I did a quick review but not all the way back on this. Have you tried a coconut kefir to help with gut flora? I know you want to/ have to stay pretty much vegan and don't tolerate many things but I wonder if, as I seemed to, you are not tolerating much because the gut flora is so out of whack. Soy hurt me worse than gluten. I think I probably suggested this already but Elaine Gottschall's book, "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" has a lot of good info past the whole specific carbohydrate diet angle and is a pretty fast read. It may not be the answer for you but might have some clues in there to help you get to the next step.

DianeSeekingInfo Rookie

I did a quick review but not all the way back on this. Have you tried a coconut kefir to help with gut flora? I know you want to/ have to stay pretty much vegan and don't tolerate many things but I wonder if, as I seemed to, you are not tolerating much because the gut flora is so out of whack. Soy hurt me worse than gluten. I think I probably suggested this already but Elaine Gottschall's book, "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" has a lot of good info past the whole specific carbohydrate diet angle and is a pretty fast read. It may not be the answer for you but might have some clues in there to help you get to the next step.

Thanks very much for these two new ideas. I agree the most important thing is to heal and move forward. Will keep trying, exploring and learning. Excellent advice, as always. You guys are so smart and helpful--thanks so much!!!!

Archived