This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Products Containing Wheat

AnnieMarie

AnnieMarie Apprentice

Hello ,

I while back I posted that I was having trouble with bowel movements again and didn't know why. The first three weeks into being gluten-free for the first time in my adult life that I can remember I went to the bathroom "normal". Then all of a sudden back to many small, constipated, floating, bowel. So what was up with that???What was I doing wrong? For one thing I was sharing items like peanut butter and butter with other family members. Now my son and I have are own and no more sharing utensils.

Well some very smart people on this forum said I need to look outside the "norm".

Here is a list of things that I found containg wheat. Perhaps other people reading this post will list their unusual finds.

1. Redken-All Soft Shampoo

2. Sauve- Sleek Conditioner

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I'm glad that you found the source of your problems. One werid product that I reacted to was Neutrogena suncreen, it has oat extract in it. Oh yes and Got-2b-Clean Shampoo has wheat in in it.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Glad you found what was causing a problem. For the first few months I thought products were not a big deal..but I was so wrong and quickly found out. Hope that takes care of your problem

AnnieMarie Apprentice

Hi,

Thanks for the input!!

I hope people reply to this topic. I intend to print out the page and keep it as a reference.

This way when I go shopping it will quicken my day. Right now it takes me a long time to shop reading all the labels. It gets costlly too when you have to throw away something that you missed reading.

I know that products are changing all the time but I still think that knowing ahead of time will make the job of shopping easier.

Annie

mytummyhurts Contributor

Eucerin Calming Creme lotion has oatmeal in it. This is a pretty obvious one though as it says it right on the bottle! :)

printmaker81 Rookie

Aussie brand volumizing shampoo and conditioner both have wheat germ and hops in them, but the MEGA shampoo and conditioner are safe.

jenvan Collaborator

Big one for me was MAC's lip conditioner--had 2 forms of wheat in it. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

aaascr Apprentice

Straight from the source:

Thank you for contacting Burt's Bees. The Quality Resources Department Manager has put together a list of products that are "restricted" and should be avoided by Celiac and Gluten patients.

For Celiac Patients - Gluten Restricted:

Products Containing Wheat, Oat, Rye & Barley Derived Ingredients.

Please AVOID these products:

Baby Bee:

Apricot Baby Oil (Wheat)

Buttermilk Soap (Oat)

Shampoo Bar (Oat)

Healthy Skin:

Avocado Hair Butter Treatment (Oat)

Carrot Day Crème (Wheat)

Carrot Night Crème (Wheat)

Citrus Facial Scrub (Oat)

Coconut Foot Crème (Oat)

Orange Essence Cleansing Crème (Oat)

Vitamin E Bath & Body Oil (Wheat)

Healthy Treatment:

Repair Serum (Wheat)

Men's Grooming:

Bay Rum Aftershave Balm (Oat)

Natural Remedy:

Dr. Burt's Res-Q Ointment or Comfrey Salve (Wheat)

Poison Ivy Soap (Oat)

Rosemary Mint Shampoo Bar (Oat)

Peppermint Foot Lotion (Wheat)

Hand and Foot:

Peppermint Foot Lotion (Wheat)

I have attached our celiac-gluten appropriate list for your review.

I hope this is helpful information. Have a pleasant day!

Stephanie Abramson, RD

Consumer Relations

Burt's Bees, Inc.

If someone can tell me how to copy a pdf(only have a reader) onto this board -

I will attempt to post the good stuff if anyone wants it.

Jonesy Apprentice

:P

I would very much like to have your list of the good stuff. To copy it to the board, I would try the simple "select" "copy" "paste" routine. If you will send me the URL to the site that has the PDF format, I'll take a look at it and see if I can copy and paste it to this forum.

maryellen@radiks.net

Emme999 Enthusiast

Don't forget Tropicana juices!! *Not* gluten free!

- Michelle :wub:

lbsteenwyk Explorer
Eucerin Calming Creme lotion has oatmeal in it. This is a pretty obvious one though as it says it right on the bottle!

Does anyone know if other Eucerin Products contain gluten?

skbird Contributor

Tums! Tums are NOT gluten free... blech!

Stephanie

AnnieMarie Apprentice

Dear Michelle,

O NO !!!!

I had no idea about the juice :angry::angry:

I have beed drinking it!!!

And my mom just bought my son a six pack of it :o

That's why I think this post is going to be helpful to us newbies. I hope more people put in some input. Especially on those obscure items we use every day, like tums and lip balm. It is something your not expecting to find wheat in.

I have to learn to be a better detective :ph34r: And us newbies rely on your experience to help with that.

Thanks so much for all the post.

A student in gluten intolerance.

Annie

cgd Newbie

St. Ives Collagen & Elastin lotion has wheat germ oil :( I'm in the process of going through my makeup. Kaiti mentioned that not Clinique products are gluten-free and recommended Bare Escentuals. They're a bit pricey--anyone know of a cheaper foundation that's gluten-free?

Guest GITRDONE

Just when you think you have it figured out-you dont. Heres one I have not seen anyone list. How many of you have pets or raise your own beef, pork & chicken?? I could not figure out why I was getting sick again. Well duh!!! I was feeding the animals COB (corn, oats, & barley), the dog food has lots of wheat and finally as I walk out the door every morning I give the dogs "treats" all of which has wheat.

I no longer feed the cob, to much airborne , so hubbie does that. I still feed the dogs, but wash my hands immedeitly.

This is a great topic.

Thanks Susan

jenvan Collaborator

On a related side-note... I was trying to find a new body wash at Meijer and started to get ticked off at knowing which was really okay. So I randomly found the California Baby products online--anyone heard of them? They are all natural lotions, body washes, extra gentle. They told me their entire line is gluten-free/cf...so I ordered a lotion and a body wash. The body is nice b/c you can also use it as a shampoo too--which is great for trips, one less bottle means more room for food :)

mytummyhurts Contributor
Don't forget Tropicana juices!!  *Not* gluten free! 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But remember this is just the ones that have had stuff added to them. The pure premium line that has no additives is okay.

See original post here:

Open Original Shared Link

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

Jen,

I got the California Baby Body Wash/Shampoo for my daughter but now our whole family is using it. :lol: I just ordered the lotion and I can't wait to try it. I love the fact that they list that it's gluten-free on the bottle. My child also has soy issues and I was glad that it's soy free as well! :)

Guest mlwaller

I have about 25 varieties of Bath and Body Works' lotions, creme, washes.... I just read those I have here a few days ago (most of my stuff is in storage in preperation for a move in three weeks), and everyone has had oats in it. Here I am six months later overlooking something I use everyday! UGH

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I love California Baby products I get them at our local health food store and have been using them for a couple of years! Very mild.

Susan

shimma Apprentice

Are ALL Tropicana juices non-gluten-free? Even their orange juice?

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
Are ALL Tropicana juices non-gluten-free?  Even their orange juice?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only juice of theirs that is gluten free is the Pure Premium with no additives.

AnnieMarie Apprentice

Dear Megan,

I just read your post. Bath and Body Works is one of my favorite products.

I have not been using any of their lotions for a while because I am skeptical of everything. I have however been using body sprays. I guess I better even check them in case.

Thanks for the input.

Annie

tarnalberry Community Regular
So I randomly found the California Baby products online--anyone heard of them? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I particularly like their sunblock. It's a physical block using micromilled zinc oxide, so it reflects sunlight off the top of the skin, rather than chemically absorbing it in the very top layers of your skin. It also doesn't smell like most sunblocks!

nurse diesel Newbie
Don't forget Tropicana juices!!  *Not* gluten free! 

- Michelle :wub:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who knew about Tropicana juice?! I had NO IDEA..but it certainly clears up a few bacon/egg breakfasts out that ended in disaster!

Thank you so much, this one in particular really makes a difference to me.

Archived