Rate this topic

My 14 month old has a follow- up appt. with his pediatric GI in a few days. He went a few months ago and the doc said to be on a gluten-free diet and when he's between 12-18 months old to try gluten again and come back. So yesterday I gave him about a third of a slice of wheat bread and I saw no reaction!! His previous reaction to rice cereal, oatmeal, food with wheat flour and Gerber puffs was severe vomitting. So I don't know if it was some intolerance that he's grown out of (which would be wonderful) or his reaction changed. Is it possible for someone's reaction to change?

My 14 month old has a follow- up appt. with his pediatric GI in a few days. He went a few months ago and the doc said to be on a gluten-free diet and when he's between 12-18 months old to try gluten again and come back. So yesterday I gave him about a third of a slice of wheat bread and I saw no reaction!! His previous reaction to rice cereal, oatmeal, food with wheat flour and Gerber puffs was severe vomitting. So I don't know if it was some intolerance that he's grown out of (which would be wonderful) or his reaction changed. Is it possible for someone's reaction to change?

Was he diagnosed as celiac or did the GI want to wait to test him? Reactions can change or take more time to return. If he is not diagnosed and you were just suspecting a gluten intolerance due to his previous reactions, then try giving him bread for at least a week (or until he starts to react again) to test it again. Symptoms can take a long time to return or he may have different symptoms after being gluten-free. If he is celiac diagnosed then he cannot eat gluten again even if he does not react to it anymore. Drs used to think kids outgrew celiac because after eliminating it they can go through a "honeymoon" stage where they don't react or reactions have changed and are not noticable. They now know you can't outgrow celiac even if you stop having symptoms.

Was he diagnosed as celiac or did the GI want to wait to test him? Reactions can change or take more time to return. If he is not diagnosed and you were just suspecting a gluten intolerance due to his previous reactions, then try giving him bread for at least a week (or until he starts to react again) to test it again. Symptoms can take a long time to return or he may have different symptoms after being gluten-free. If he is celiac diagnosed then he cannot eat gluten again even if he does not react to it anymore. Drs used to think kids outgrew celiac because after eliminating it they can go through a "honeymoon" stage where they don't react or reactions have changed and are not noticable. They now know you can't outgrow celiac even if you stop having symptoms.

He hasn't been diagnosed with anything yet. Seemed like the doc wanted to wait until he was 1 year old to see if he continued having the reaction. I just found it odd b/c he's basically been gluten-free his entire life (well, was breastfed and I'm not gluten-free so not sure how much/if anything he got there). But any other time he's had anything that contained gluten he vomitted violently afterwards. But the last time he had gluten was before his dr. appointment in January. I'll try giving him an entire piece of bread tomorrow and maybe something else too. In the past, 4 cheerios would cause a reaction so I didn't want to over-do it. I just hate feeding it to him and wondering if this is causing damage to his body or not, but I guess the only way to know is to try. And maybe the doc will let us do genetic testing to see if he has the celiac genes.

If you were eating gluten while you were breastfeeding he wouldl have been getting gluten. As the pp said, you can often have a gluten honeymoon after being off it for a while, only to have the symptoms return. Some honeymoons last longer than others. I am not sure what your doc had in mind - I guess he maybe wanted to see if he got better after not eating gluten. Blut the fact that he did not immediately react really does not mean anything. After a week of gluten with no reaction his honeymoon could be quite extended. It would still not tell you whether or not he was gluten intolerant per se. But if he didn't react that would be great although there is always the fear of silent damage being done. The gene testing I think would be good for all of you so see what the possibilities are.

• Upvote 1

My daughter has IgG allergies. As a baby she threw up milk based formulas and soy based gave her constipation. Then by the time she was 1 she seemed to tolerate both milk and soy. Or so I thought.

Fast forward to school. Teacher thought she had ADD because of her inability to pay attention. Long story short it was the food allergies. She was constantly sick to her stomach although no obvious signs at either end. She just didn't feel well and therefore couldn't pay attention.

She had several other allergies including wheat. We changed her diet and it was like I got a new kid! She has since outgrown the soy and dairy allergies among other things but remains allergic to wheat.

Well I gave him an entire slice of whole wheat bread today and I'm not seeing any reaction yet. I would think that wheat bread would have plenty of gluten in it. Guess we'll see what the doc says.