lizard00

gluten-free Vegan Or Ef Bakers

Rate this topic

What do you use to substitute egg yolks? When the purpose of the egg is moreso for the emulsifying properties of the yolk as opposed to the leavening properties of the white, what do you use? I have experimented with olive oil in combo with egg replacer, but I don't love it. I know that you can use flax, but this particular experiment had to be flax free. Any other suggestions?

vegetarian.about.com recommended mashing up half a banana or using 1/4 cup apple sauce.

What are you trying to make? If it's a dressing they do make vegan mayo which may be closer to what you are trying for. It's usually made from soy however, which I can't do so I don't know the brands that are both vegan and gluten-free off the top of my head.

ETA: sorry just noticed your siggy says you are soy free too. If you are looking for a recipe for egg free, soy free and gluten-free mayo (which can also be used for dressings) there is one here: http://www.adventuresofaglutenfreemom.com/2011/01/corn-free-egg-free-and-soy-free-mayonnaise-with-a-giveaway/ (I have not tried it)

I was making a couple of different things. Bread, scones and these chocolate cake thingys. For the bread, it's the yolk that gives it texture, as well as the white that makes it rise. I ended up putting a little more yeast and a little more EVOO and it was all good.

But for something like the cake, it was trickier. And its something that I don't particularly want to put a mashed up banana or applesauce in, for taste reasons. Guess I could give it a try and see, though.

Just curious if there are some tricks that I don't know about. B) Thanks everyone for your suggestions so far! Keep em coming.

I was making a couple of different things. Bread, scones and these chocolate cake thingys. For the bread, it's the yolk that gives it texture, as well as the white that makes it rise. I ended up putting a little more yeast and a little more EVOO and it was all good.

But for something like the cake, it was trickier. And its something that I don't particularly want to put a mashed up banana or applesauce in, for taste reasons. Guess I could give it a try and see, though.

Just curious if there are some tricks that I don't know about. B) Thanks everyone for your suggestions so far! Keep em coming.

Are you using any Xanthan gum or guar gum? Also if you are experimenting with texture there is a long thread here about using psyllium husk in bread. I don't know if those experiments were vegan however. Just a minute I'll see if I can find the thread.

ETA: Here it is:

It's an interesting read and might give you some new ideas. :)

try the gelatin for egg substitution?

I have the hardest time replacing eggs.

Are you using any Xanthan gum or guar gum? Also if you are experimenting with texture there is a long thread here about using psyllium husk in bread. I don't know if those experiments were vegan however. Just a minute I'll see if I can find the thread.

ETA: Here it is:

It's an interesting read and might give you some new ideas. :)

I'm using both gums, separately, though. One is for someone who is corn allergic, down to the xanthan gum level. It's not that it has to be vegan, per se, but it's easier to ask it that way since it is for someone who needs it to be egg free and dairy free.

I'll have to check out psyllium husk, too. It's funny that you put that thread in there. I PM'd Riceguy for some advice, and in his answer was a mention of the Uprising thread. He is my baking hero! :D

Mommida: eggs are the hardest, IMO, to replace. They do SO much in baking.