Mizzo

Is Red Around Eyes A Gluten Reacton

Rate this topic

When my DD is having a bad day I notice she has a lot of redness mostly below the eyes as if she has been crying.

Is this a GLuten exposure sign?

This is just me personally, but back when I was just starting out on the diet, a family member would come home, take one look at me (without me having said anything) and ask, 'What did you eat?'. Apparently the big red patches under my eyes come out after eating gluten. So, it may be the case for your daughter. Someone else might have an idea as to whether or not this is likely/what causes it, but just thought I'd share my experience with you.

My daughter had the dark circles under her eyes before she was diagnosed. There is something called "allergy shiners" . . . the dark circles under the eyes ultimately caused by congestion/blocked sinuses.

My DS (age 2) gets a pink tint around his eyes when exposed to gluten. It went away being gluten-free, but when I see it, it is often my first clue that something got him. Sometimes it is followed by other symptoms, sometimes it clears up without more obvious impacts.

My dd has the allergy shiners, too. I was amazed by how quickly they cleared up after she was diagnosed with celiac.

My daughter gets eczema round the edges of her eyes, looks like she's been crying, or at worst like conjunctivitis - it clears up when she's gluten free. A recent problem with cc in school dinners seems to have brought it back on again, but it's going away again now she's taking a lunchbox. Must be a connection!

I had huge dark rings under my eyes before going gluten free - they're gone now! It's been better than a face lift! ;) I think you really can see when some people have been glutened.