anna34

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Rate this topic

So, I've tried baking chocolate chip cookies once before and they were not that great. They ended up quite crumbly and dry and a little too sweet. They were very granular in texture. I'd like to make a cookie that is either crunchy without being dry, or a chewy cookie. I'm new to this gluten-free baking thing, so any tips or recipe suggestions are appreciated! :)

Post your recipe and we can probably help. :) It's tough to get the right amount of butter, but I use 6 T of butter in my recipe, which I think has 2 C of flour. I'll have to double check it later. Also a little brown sugar helps add a bit of chew.

I have screwed up LOTS of choco chip cookies. LOTS! :lol:

OK, here it is. It's from Gluten Free on a Shoestring by Nicole Hunn.

8 tbsp unsalted butter

3/4 cup sugar

3/4 cup brown sugar

2 eggs

1 tbsp vanilla

2 1/4 cups flour

1 1/4 tsp xanthan gum

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp baking soda

chocolate chips

This is the recipe that I use, and they taste just like nestle cookies. Only difference is they came out a little flatter but when I put them in a tupperware container they stayed soft. They're really easy and delicious and my boyfriend couldn't tell the difference between these and my old gluten-filled cookies! He requested that I make them again this weekend. :D

Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

(I made a small batch but it's probably easier to double it)

1 1/8 cups Gluten-Free AP Flour

1/2 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 (plus a little more) teaspoon xanthan gum

6 tbs butter softened

1/4 + 1/8 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1/4 cup sugar

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup gluten-free semi-sweet chocolate chunks or chips (or 1/2 of a 12oz bag)

Heat oven to 325

OK, here it is. It's from Gluten Free on a Shoestring by Nicole Hunn.

8 tbsp unsalted butter

3/4 cup sugar

3/4 cup brown sugar

2 eggs

1 tbsp vanilla

2 1/4 cups flour

1 1/4 tsp xanthan gum

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp baking soda

chocolate chips

This is just like the Tollhouse recipe, except 1/2 the butter and salt, and of course the addition of Xanthan gum.

I make the Tollhouse recipe a lot, except I use 1/2 margarine and half Crisco, and I always add more flour - at least another 1/4 cup and maybe 1/2 cup extra. Also, I normally use about 1/4 cup almond meal as part of my flour.

So for your recipe I would recommend adding 6 TBSP shortening. Bake at 325 or 350 for at least 10 minutes, maybe 12. I use a baking stone for cookies and I think it helps a lot, but if you don't have one, use parchment paper - the cookies don't stick and don't burn on the bottom. If you want them chewy, take them out when they first start to brown. For crunchy, go another 2-3 minutes or so until they are golden brown all over. Most important (and this is sometimes hard!!) is to let them cool at least 10 minutes before attempting to move them from the baking stone/sheet.

Anna,

That doesn't look like enough butter to me . . . your recipe is very similar to tollhouse but half the butter.

I use a slightly modified tollhouse recipe . . .

Everything is the same on the back of the package except . . .

twice as much vanilla

about 1/4 cup more flour

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

3/4 tsp baking powder

1 tsp xantham gum

I have adapted most of my old gluten recipes by adding xantham and adding additional leavening (roughly about twice as much leavening). The additional flour is because the cookies would spread too much. I bake a test cookie or two. You could also refrigerate the dough for a while and that helps reduce spread.

What flour blend are you using? You can also get a grainy texture to the cookie (different from the crumbling) if you don't have a fine enough grind of your flour. I find that rice flour from an Asian grocery is much finer (and cheaper) than say Bob's Red Mill.

Obviously Bev (bbuster) and I have studied the back of the package of Nestle choc chips well . . . :lol::rolleyes:

Obviously Bev (bbuster) and I have studied the back of the package of Nestle choc chips well . . . :lol::rolleyes:

You better believe it!!!

I have 2 teenagers - I make cookies all the time!

I would LOVE some more info on this. I used the Tollhouse recipe and used Better Batter as a replacement, but the cookies turned out FLAT and chewy. Gross. I wouldn't eat them. I like a crunchy cookie with some substance. Not a chewy cracker thin thing.

I would LOVE some more info on this. I used the Tollhouse recipe and used Better Batter as a replacement, but the cookies turned out FLAT and chewy. Gross. I wouldn't eat them. I like a crunchy cookie with some substance. Not a chewy cracker thin thing.

1) add more flour - if you are making the full recipe that calls for 2 1/4 cups, add another 1/4-1/2 cup

2) if you are using butter or margarine, consider using all shortening instead

3) bake a little longer and/or hotter so they are light brown all over