This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Granola Bars

Pippi777

Pippi777 Newbie

Hey all!

I really like granola bars, but since going gfk can have the vast majority of the store bought ones. I've found a few that I like, but would really like to try to make my own. Does anyone either know of a good place to find a recipe, or have a good one? I'd like to find an easy one that has a set general list of ingredients, but that you can add various ingredients to personalize it to my liking.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Sarah

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Hey all!

I really like granola bars, but since going gfk can have the vast majority of the store bought ones. I've found a few that I like, but would really like to try to make my own. Does anyone either know of a good place to find a recipe, or have a good one? I'd like to find an easy one that has a set general list of ingredients, but that you can add various ingredients to personalize it to my liking.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Sarah

Me again!

In the upper right corner there is a google search for the forum. I know there have been some granola bar type things posted.

Just to make sure you understand about oats since you're new. You have to use gluten-free oats. Regular oats & oatmeal are contaminated with wheat. Also, about 10% of Celiacs react to oats as well as the wheat, rye, barley thing. Many sites and doctors recommend you wait at least 6 months before trying them to see if you are in that 10% that can't eat them.

I'm going to move this to Baking & cooking section.

Poppi Enthusiast

If I were going to make granola bars I would probably try Open Original Shared Link and use gluten free oats. I've had good luck with Bob's Red Mill gluten-free oats but as kareng said, not everyone can eat them.

If it's just the convenience of a bar that you miss I have Lara Bars (I only like the chocolate flavours) and Enjoy Life Coco Loco and Caramel Apple bars stashed all over the place.

sa1937 Community Regular

If it's just the convenience of a bar that you miss I have Lara Bars (I only like the chocolate flavours) and Enjoy Life Coco Loco and Caramel Apple bars stashed all over the place.

Hiding them behind the broccoli, eh?

Poppi Enthusiast

Hiding them behind the broccoli, eh?

and in the car and my purse and my knitting bag and the basket under my bedside table and behind the sorghum and amaranth flours in the cupboard.

freeatlast Collaborator

and in the car and my purse and my knitting bag and the basket under my bedside table and behind the sorghum and amaranth flours in the cupboard.

B)

Pippi777 Newbie

I did know about some oats having gluten. I make sure they don't have gluten before I buy them. I didn't know that it was recommended to wait 6 months to try them, though. I'm getting glutened with something I eat regularly, just not sure what. Perhaps it's the gluten-free granola bars I've found I'm actually having an issue with.

As for the convenience factor, it is partially that. I have tried Lara Bars (I think those were the ones), but they were too chewy for me. (I have an issue with certain textures and flavors.) I've only found 3 kinds of granola bars that I like. Kind bars (none with fruits), Mariani Bars (only 1 kind) and Luna Bars (some of these are made on the same equipment as gluten stuff but are gluten-free ingredient-wise). These are all fairly expensive, though. So I think it'd be cheaper to just make my own than to buy the others in bulk. I can also make them with exactly what I want in them, and how much of what I want in them. I kinda just want to know if I can make them, too! I've just really got into cooking/baking since going gluten-free because it's too hard sometimes to do so when out.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I love love the Nature Valley Roasted Nut Crunch - Almond Crunch. Says gluten-free on the box. In the regular stores. Very hard. Not chewy. I'm not a fan of chewy ones like Lara bars. Do like some of the Kind bars.

Pippi777 Newbie

I wasn't sure about Nature Valley. I know some say gluten-free, but the ingredient list confused me. I like many kinds of fruit, just not mixed into other foods. I do like coconut, various nuts and chocolate. I really, really like stuff that I can make that's customizable to my likes and dislikes. Now that I know Nature Valley is actually safe, and that I like it, maybe I'll get those. :-)

sa1937 Community Regular

I think Nature Valley only has two that are safe - the Almond Crunch and Peanut Crunch. I like the Almond Crunch but they darn near break my teeth. :P

sa1937 Community Regular

I used to do that when my son was a teenager and almost ate me out of house and home. It always worked to hide things behind the broccoli as I knew he'd never look in the veggie drawer. I also used to put "Do Not Touch" sticky notes on things I made to bring somewhere or had prepared in advance for tomorrow, etc.

kareng Grand Master

I wasn't sure about Nature Valley. I know some say gluten-free, but the ingredient list confused me. I like many kinds of fruit, just not mixed into other foods. I do like coconut, various nuts and chocolate. I really, really like stuff that I can make that's customizable to my likes and dislikes. Now that I know Nature Valley is actually safe, and that I like it, maybe I'll get those. :-)

Only the Almond Crunch. It has no oats in it! There is supposed to be a peanut one but I have never seen it. They say gluten-free in big friendly letters on the front of e box.

Archived