Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Elfbaby

Easy Peanut Butter Cookies

Lara bars are $1.99 - $2.19 each regualr price in my area. They do sometimes go on sale for 10 for $10 and that's when I buy them. I usually get 20 at one time when they are a dollar each and I only eat maybe one a week at most so they last me for a while. I agree about them being too expensive though. I don't have any right now. I found Enjoy Life bars on sale for $3 per box of 5 and bought a bunch of those. My main use for these bars are for shelf stable emergency food when I'm on the go or traveling and can't find anything else safe.

Cookies certainly are preferable to Lara Bars or Enjoy life bars if I'm at home or have access to a clean kitchen. :D

Wow! That's expensive for a Lara Bar. I haven't had an Enjoy Life bar for quite awhile, they're pricier here.

There are some cool recipes on the web for homemade Lara bars. I haven't tried making them yet, lost the link (just checked), but the recipe I saw was to chop dates & dried cherries in a mini food processer, then chop almonds or other safe nuts, and mix in 1 Tbsp. Cocoa. Mix that up and press into bars (using a cake pan and parchment paper), then slice them up and wrap in parchment paper or stick them in baggies and refrigerate. I'm going to try this out pretty soon. I don't think there's anything in the recipe that needs to be refrigerated, but that's what the recipe called for.

I was ok paying $1.00 or $1.05 per bar, but $1.59 to $2.19 each is really crazy, especially if you just whirl them up, and they don't call for cooking. Dates are cheap! (So if we figure it out we can have a cheap date nut emergency bar on date night!) :D