This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Questions About Starting Workouts Again

Greenling

NoodleUnit Apprentice

Finally.

Week 5 Day 3 Done. Two miles with no breaks, at reasonable pace for me too. I even mustered half a sprint for the last 100 yards. So, yay \o/

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wheeleezdryver Community Regular

Greenlling--- how are things going?

Noodle Unit-- I totally understand stress and sickness! I'm glad to hear that things are starting to look up a bit for you guys, and I hope they continue to do so!! Good job on your wourlouts last week!

I haven't really been able to workout at all for about the last two weeks. Due to.... what was that called??.... oh yeah stress. Hubby had some extra health issues come up, so that meant extra jobs for me to take care of, and extra stress on my shoulders.

Things are better now-- at least for the last couple days (never know when things will change, tho!).

I am hoping to be able to get to the gym sometime this week. But it's also a busy week, and I'm exhausted as it is. But at the very least, I'm keeping the thought of going to the gym in my head.

Good night, all!

GlutenGladi8or Apprentice

Until the New Year's Resolution season (targeting new members at the end of December), health clubs right now are in VERY dry spells. They will be advertising free weeks, free classes, initiation fees waved, etc. Why not take advantage of their promotions and experiment with a bunch of different cardio activities and new equipment?

Start looking in your local paper and you'll be amazed by the offers. Don't wait until December and battle all of the other New Year's Newbies. Start now. But remember two things: Stretch before and after, and take it S-L-O-W in the first few weeks.

NoodleUnit Apprentice

Seem to be really hitting the wall with this at the moment. I'm simply not recovering from my runs well enough to make the leap from Day 1 and 2 ( ( intervals ) to Day 3 ( no intervals ). I was 42 pounds heavier when I did this last year before the celiac disease came on, and I found the jump surprisingly easy back then.

I tried Week 6 Day 3 on Sunday and it was a complete disaster. I had no choice but to walk a large chunk of it. Today I did intervals again and felt so good I actually went on to do another half mile ( nearly actually did the 5k ). I think what I'm going to do is divert from the C25K somewhat and start listening to my body. Part of the problem is physical i.e. the recovery but another part of it is mental i.e. waiting for the interval to end or start. I can't "zone out" the way I need to. So I have to play smart again... I'm going to aim for a distance and a pace but do it in a way that suits my new, slow recovering body. Otherwise I'm just going to get frustrated every time I try Day 3.

Anyway, rant over.

Hope everyone's okay.

• 3 weeks later...
Greenling Newbie

Hi everyone,

I hope that you're all doing well. Sorry for dropping off the face of the earth for a while. Work buried me, and I started having fatigue issues and cross-contamination issues (because of my nephew who's living with me this semester). Can't say that I felt horrible (like I did before), but I had no energy by the time I kept up with work (and neuropathy issues started creeping back along with the fatigue). The only workouts I've gotten in consistently since mid-September were weight-lifting. That has gone incredibly well (as I've gained strength back quickly). But I've hit a wall with cardio and have to be careful not to push it or I'm wiped out. I'm back to starting over (almost) with the c25k, but am hopeful to get going again with it this week.

NoodleUnit, hang in there with the extended runs. I can understand how frustrating it is to compare past performance to your current abilities. But think how far you've made it this summer/fall. Also hope that things are looking up for you and your family job-wise as well. That is a tough blow, but it sounds like you've handled it very well.

Wheelez, hope your stress level has gone down a bit and you're able to get back to the gym. Hopefully, everyone will stay healthy for a while and allow you to get back into a routine.

Gladi8tor, thanks for popping in with words of wisdom. The New Year will be here before we know it, so not a bad time to pre-start resolutions.

Talk to you all again soon!

Greenling

NoodleUnit Apprentice

Sorry to hear about your fatigue and CC issues Greenling. Good to know you're still around though :)

I'm still settling down into my new routine but am getting there. Winter is on it's way so I'm starting to think about alternatives to running right now. I've been out of action with a torn ( not badly ) knee ligament for the last fortnight but should be back to running tomorrow hopefully. don't think the weather will let me keep that going for more than another month or so though. I'll probably shift to strength training then with a little bit of cardio thrown in to keep me going.

Good news is my grip is improving noticeably, especially now that I've cut corn out of my diet, and I seem to be able tolerate a little dairy too, so things must be on the up.

Will report back nest week :)

wheeleezdryver Community Regular

thankfully, my stress level has gone back to 'normal', well at least at the moment it has. But I had a cold for a week, and been dealing with allergies. and have been busy trying to get things taken care of that need to be done.

Last Monday, I was finally able to get back to the gym.... for the first time in like 2 months, it seems like! I just did 20 mins on the bike.

i hope to be able to get back into working out again, and working back up to where I was on the C25K, but I don't know if that will happen... we'll have to see.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Greenling Newbie

Hi NoodleUnit and Wheelez,

Sounds like we all hit rough patches at the same time and are now trying to get back into a routine! Recovery, I'm finding, is a long-term path to follow. I really did think I'd be back to normal by now, but I now realize that was naive. :) However, when I compare now to last year, I'm much better. Do you all feel the same?

NoodleUnit: How is your knee coming along? We're getting colder here too, so I'll definitely be transitioning to indoor workouts. I tested allergic to corn when they found the Celiac, and they told me the reaction to corn was most likely a temporary thing due to the inflammation from the Celiac. At the time, I was to wait 6-12 months and then test corn. Well, I tested it a couple of weeks ago (at the six-month mark) and I had a bit of a reaction to it, so I'm hoping it will eventually go away completely. In the meantime, I've shelved corn until December. You may be having a similar reaction. Glad to hear that you're able to add some dairy back in and that your grip is improving. Great news!

Wheelez: Hope you're feeling better after the cold, etc. It's a hard time of year to stay well with the constant weather changes and the holidays coming. I'm starting to feel pretty worn down myself. Good luck with getting back to your routine at the gym. I'll have to re-start the c25k again too. But, first, I'm going to build some endurance with walking (although I may not be able to resist some jogging).

For my workouts, I did cardio three times this week. Nothing too major, just walking on an incline. Am going to do four days this week, with a few jogging intervals. In the meantime, I'm continuing to be really happy with my progress in strength training. I go in on Tuesday for my 6-month blood tests to see how things are going, so I'm anxious to get those results. I'll let you know how they go.

Have a good week! :)

Greenling

NoodleUnit Apprentice

Hi All

The knee has taken a little longer to heal than I would have liked. I think it's okay now, but I've lost a lot of my cardio gains waiting for it to stop hurting. Will probably give it a test today to see how it goes.

Interesting about the corn Greenling. I'm not getting any medical support as I would need to go back on Gluten to prove to my GP that I have this problem and I'm not doing it. My reaction to the tiniest amount is so pronounced now that I'm just not going back to those days. Hopefully all of this will gradually ease off. As I say, dairy is tolerable in the form of hard cheese as long as I don't overdo it. I overdid it this weekend though, in the form of a lovely gluten free pizza ( I cant bring myself to tell people at restaurants that I have more than a gluten problem, it just makes things too difficult ). So I am feeling a little silly and a bit off colour. Gradually improving though.

Hope all are well.

:D

DerpTyler Newbie

Hey everyone,

Iv recently been hitting the gym for about the last month and a half and i keep hearing that if im serious i should try taking protein supplements now, im wondering if anyone has any experiance with this stuff?

Im an 18 yr old male and do 4hrs of strength training then another 4hrs of cardio per week, probably will be doing more in the future.

doesn't extra protein contribute to better muscle growth? thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
NoodleUnit Apprentice

Hi all,

Had a bit of a set back with an ulcer recently. And I have an endoscopy to do in December, so I have to gluten myself every day and that means I don't really feel up for it right now. So... hopefully I'll be back at it in January. Hope you're all okay.

Cheers

Noodleunit

Archived