MsCurious

Back From Lots Of Travel... Its Been 6 Weeks Gluten-Free Now...

Rate this topic

Hi everybody,

Hi to my "old" friends here, and greetings to the new people! I'm back from lots of travel and its been about 6 weeks since getting answers and going gluten and lactose free... and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

No more sick tummy, headaches, fatigue... I FEEL GREAT! YAY! And I have to admit, I was a bit terrified of traveling, but planning ahead and being prepared, with my own food really helped.

Visited my mom and dad and got them completely gluten free... including converting their kitchen and getting them used to what new resources and kinds of foods to buy, and where to get them. It's been GREAT! My dad's chronic hives have gone away!

We went to visit family for the weekend, and I was kind of stressed about it, but had my husband phone his sister and tell her to not worry about me, just make regular food that she would normally prepare and I took everything for me for the weekend. That way I didn't have to stress that I'd accidently get CC'd and she didn't have to stress about making me sick. I made it a non issue, but have to say... it was kind of tough when they were all enjoying icecream cake with yummy looking chocolate wafer crust and gooey fudge filling! And the lemon cake and ice cream the next day (nephew's graduation)... and all the other goodies, but I FELT GREAT! I also didn't consume TONS of calories that they did! LOL My husband said he thought he must have gained two pounds on that trip!

Anyway, the adjustments have been fairly easy, and the substitutes are so good that I DON'T feel deprived at ALL...which really has been a nice surprise! Now that we're home again after being away for a month... I'm headed to Whole Paycheck....errrr I mean Whole Foods ;) ... to stock up on some good healthy yummy foods.

Just a note for those of you just starting out with the gluten-free diet... personally I think Udi's bread is great for sandwiches, but Rudi's ... not so much. Rudi's is really crumbly, and seems like eating sawdust in its untoasted form... but having said that... Rudi's makes FABULOUS toast! I have no idea why that is...but it is! LOL :) And Rudi's has great raisin bread for toast too. Udi's is best for sandwiches though... if you want untoasted bread... at least in my opinion.

Having said all that, I want to thank all my supporters here, who have been so helpful in this transition time... giving me all those great traveling tips, and clues how to get through this transition time without losing my marbles! You're all GREAT! :) I can't wait to find the time to catch up with everybody's posts! See you later... off to the market. It's good to be back!

I can hear the excitement in your voice! Thanks for sharing your encouraging and thrilling news. You must feel like a new person in ways! Way to go!! And welcome back. :D

Ms.C - So glad you're doing well and back from your trip. Keep it up!

What a beautiful post :)

Congratulations and well done on all your efforts and HUGE congratulations on your good health. You give me a bit of hope.