Rate this topic

I was just wondering which kind of eggs you all buy. I have been buying Egglands best for 3 years. This weekend my store was out of them so I just bought the store brand. I made an omelet and could not tell the difference. Do you buy Organic, Egglands best, store brand..etc.? (I know that they are ALL gluten free..just curious)

Anyone have any good egg recipes?

We are fortunate to get ours from a local organic farmer. The yolks are the colour of pumpkins. Beautiful!

I buy organic and as local as possible.

Organic free range.

Whats the advantage to organic eggs? The Egglands Best eggs are almost 4 dollars. I got the store brand for less than 2 dollars. I've never seen organic eggs at my store. What does organic eggs mean and aren't they ALL gluten free and safe for us. I am trying to find ways to cut my grocery bill and by buying the store brand eggs, I am saving almost 3 dollars.

• Upvote 1

I get 18 organic, local eggs for 3.50. I make sure that I'm buying from local, sustainable farms with totally free-range, free laying chickens. NO CAGES!!! I saw Food Inc. and it scarred me for life!!

I was just wondering which kind of eggs you all buy. I have been buying Egglands best for 3 years. This weekend my store was out of them so I just bought the store brand. I made an omelet and could not tell the difference. Do you buy Organic, Egglands best, store brand..etc.? (I know that they are ALL gluten free..just curious)

Anyone have any good egg recipes?

I buy the store brand.

Here's my mom's tuna salad recipe. It's yummy.

1 can tuna, drained

4-5 hard boiled eggs, chopped

2 tsp. minced white onion

1/3 - 1/2 cup chopped celery (from the heart, not tough outer stalks)

mayo - homemade or safe purchased - about 1/2 cup, give or take

s&p to taste

a dash of mustard powder

You can add shredded carrots if you're inclined.

Mix together and refrigerate. It's good on it's own, over chopped greens, or on gluten-free bread. Mom was pretty thrifty. She could stretch a can of tuna to feed seven people.

I prefer organic free range, however, being a single Mom, it gets tight. There are times I have to buy regular eggs, I like the organic ones best!

I buy store brand.

We grow our own, but on the occasion we need more we also buy local from an organic farmer or friend. It *is* more expensive (around here they go for $6.50, though when we sold ours, we only charged $4.50 and still made a profit). There are a lot of good reasons to eat home-grown and organic eggs. I've seen better articles than the ones linked below, but I was in a hurry.

First, there *are* health benefits. This article outlines some:

http://www.rodale.com/organic-eggs?page=0%2C0

Second, the industrial food system that produces eggs is, in a word, evil.

Third, it's filthy and the eggs are a lot less safe to eat, are treated with nasty chemicals to make them "safe," and are not at all fresh by the time they reach market.

http://www.thehumaneleague.com/CageFreePennState/FoodSafety_EggProduction.pdf

For a fun documentary following chickens in many circumstances, watch:

Oh, and we can definitely tell the difference between our eggs and store eggs. We can also tell the difference between our less stressed, best fed, top of the heap chickens and their bottom of the pecking order sisters. Also - when you see "vegetarian fed" on chicken eggs, I don't see how that makes any sense. Our chickens love bugs, worms, offal, kitchen scraps and weeds. You are what you eat, your chickens are, too. Do you want to eat eggs made of GMO soy & corn or eggs made of bugs and weeds? I vote for bugs!

I buy the store brand.

Here's my mom's tuna salad recipe. It's yummy.

1 can tuna, drained

4-5 hard boiled eggs, chopped

2 tsp. minced white onion

1/3 - 1/2 cup chopped celery (from the heart, not tough outer stalks)

mayo - homemade or safe purchased - about 1/2 cup, give or take

s&p to taste

a dash of mustard powder

You can add shredded carrots if you're inclined.

Mix together and refrigerate. It's good on it's own, over chopped greens, or on gluten-free bread. Mom was pretty thrifty. She could stretch a can of tuna to feed seven people.

Thanks for posting this! It sounds delish! I'm going to make this for lunch tomorrow. :)

Oh, and we can definitely tell the difference between our eggs and store eggs. We can also tell the difference between our less stressed, best fed, top of the heap chickens and their bottom of the pecking order sisters. Also - when you see "vegetarian fed" on chicken eggs, I don't see how that makes any sense. Our chickens love bugs, worms, offal, kitchen scraps and weeds. You are what you eat, your chickens are, too. Do you want to eat eggs made of GMO soy & corn or eggs made of bugs and weeds? I vote for bugs!

In a perfect world that would be nice but most of us live in areas where we can't get things like this. I have to do all of my grocery shopping at Walmart or else I drive 45 min. each way. Thanks for the info though.

• Upvote 1

In a perfect world that would be nice but most of us live in areas where we can't get things like this. I have to do all of my grocery shopping at Walmart or else I drive 45 min. each way. Thanks for the info though.

It is a sad state of affairs that many people live in "food deserts" where there just isn't good access to real food. I know it's the truth and awareness is starting to build and I'm hoping we can change that for the better.

Chickens, though, are really easy to raise just about anywhere. Are you sure there are no local farmers or individuals raising chickens for eggs in your area who might be willing to regularly part with a few?

Whats the advantage to organic eggs? The Egglands Best eggs are almost 4 dollars. I got the store brand for less than 2 dollars. I've never seen organic eggs at my store. What does organic eggs mean and aren't they ALL gluten free and safe for us. I am trying to find ways to cut my grocery bill and by buying the store brand eggs, I am saving almost 3 dollars.

The difference is in taste and also how the chickens are raised or fed. If you don't care about the treatment of farm animals one way or the other it probably doesn't matter to you. I buy organic free range when I can just because I like the taste better. However, I will buy the store brand or whatever is cheapest when money is tight. Be careful, this can become a hot topic of debate by people that feel strongly about the treatment of animals. IMO, if you need to save the money, save the money and get the store brand.

• Upvote 1

I also see it as a supply and demand. If we're all buying the local (if possible), organic products, there, in theory, will be an increased demand, thus an increased supply, hopefully driving the costs down.

Some of us also feel strongly about GMO, and feel that that lies at the root of a lot of our problems with modern foods. Not to incite argument, just my particular reason for attempting to avoid it (and whatever has eaten it) as much as possible.

Buying local cuts down on the travel time of any fresh food. The less travel time, for many things, the more nutrients and less time for bad bacteria to grow on it. Here in KC, most of our grocery meat, eggs & dairy seems to come from a few hours away.

Some of us also feel strongly about GMO, and feel that that lies at the root of a lot of our problems with modern foods. Not to incite argument, just my particular reason for attempting to avoid it (and whatever has eaten it) as much as possible.

Me, too. I used to work for an international organic certification agency and was horrified at what I saw on farm inspections. Don't even get me started on that... :P

I'm co-oping with some friends who want fresh eggs but can't have chickens. We're splitting costs and labor to expand my flock, and they'll pay me the equivalent of $4 per dozen, mostly by buying food.

Can you find a friend with some land to expand?

I don't know the laws in other cities but where I am, if you own your own property, you can have up to 3 chickens in a coop in your backyard. Unfortunately, I am still stuck renting and am frankly scared s$#&less of birds if I have to touch them. I buy Organic Free Range eggs when I have extra cash but I've come to rely on eating 2 eggs for breakfast to keep my brain functioning at 6 am so I have had to go with the store brand pack of 18 otherwise I am poor poor poor.

My recipe:

pot

2 eggs

water

boil

at point of boil lower heat

let cook for 12 minutes

voila- softly boiled hard eggs. none of this green grossness around the yolk.

A note on boiled eggs - if you are using fresh eggs, leave them out on the counter for a couple days before boiling them. Otherwise they are nearly impossible to peel! There are other tricks like oil in the water, but letting them breathe a bit works best.

I don't know the laws in other cities but where I am, if you own your own property, you can have up to 3 chickens in a coop in your backyard. Unfortunately, I am still stuck renting and am frankly scared s$#&less of birds if I have to touch them. I buy Organic Free Range eggs when I have extra cash but I've come to rely on eating 2 eggs for breakfast to keep my brain functioning at 6 am so I have had to go with the store brand pack of 18 otherwise I am poor poor poor.

My recipe:

pot

2 eggs

water

boil

at point of boil lower heat

let cook for 12 minutes

voila- softly boiled hard eggs. none of this green grossness around the yolk.

If you add about 2 Tablespoons of vinegar to the water before bringing it to a boil the yolk will usually not get green. And they will also be easier to peel.