Scott Adams

More Resistance to the Large Prevalence of Celiac Disease - Celiac.com

Rate this topic

More Resistance to the Large Prevalence of Celiac Disease

Celiac.com

This article originally appeared in the Spring 2011 edition of Celiac.com's Journal of Gluten-Sensitivity. Celiac.com 06/01/2011 - Through the hard work and concerted efforts of many support groups and individuals throughout the US, along with the ...

Celiac disease confused as irritable bowel syndrome The Detroit News

Celiac disease often diagnosed as bowel disorder STLtoday.com

all 3 news articles »

View the full article

This was a wonderful article- thank you Dr Hogan- I saved it and did some more reading on this "Biagi" fellow - and everybody should at least look at it.

There are, from my reading on certain other sources, a puzzling but very real pushback against various common sense concepts on the internet social sites like "not eating food that makes you sick," and I've been absolutely astonished at the amount of "foodie trolling" on the subject by people claiming "sciences says" gluten intolerance is not real nor increasing, or worse, that people who think that consuming gluten effects certain health conditions are making it up. When I've dug deeper trying to find out just what the identity of the person doing it was, and what could possibly be motivating this behavior it has always turned out, so far, that there was a business interest involved $$ :o $$ that was not being disclosed.

I don't mind "emotional laden statements" (anybody who's ever read anything I've written .... knows that I do express an opinion ) but I do get a sort of odd sensation having read so - called scientific experts, many of them using pseudonyms, railing against THE EVILS AND IGNORANCE of the "foodies" who are challenging their worldview that all illness is caused by... something else and that there is a scientifically manufactured medication that can fix any problems. This isn't quite rational behavior, since the science behind celiac disease has been known for several decades now, plus the study of the human genome is leaping forward linking many different conditions. They tend to express the same contempt for other human systems like "organic farming" or "renewable energy."

Having failed to make us go away, disappear, or shush up, they have been reduced to furtively bad behavior elsewhere, sometimes by grouping themselves in with "other experts," or "expert witnesses" which is where I found a whole slew of past writings on this topic by Mr. F. Biagi here at this Biomed Experts site. http://www.biomedexperts.com/Portal/AboutBME.aspx and here is a list of lots of articles he has collaborated on with this Gino Roberto Corazza http://www.biomedexperts.com/Profile.bme/263240/Gino_Roberto_Corazza

There is one from 2007 called "Is a gluten free diet necessary in patients with potential celiac disease," for instance, published in Minerva gastroenterologica e dietologica

Now, just using a hypothetical situation, if one were a business who wanted a "expert witness" in science to bolster one's stance with investors, if you had the "expert profiles of more than 1.8 million scientists" to chose from to try to select somebody with the opinion you needed, that would be a very useful website !

I looked at the contact information for Biomed Experts and it is Elsevier of NY, USA, but they are a Dutch company hq'd in Amsterdam. They are a publisher of scientific, technical, and medical information products and services. But there was a furor in 2007 over their involvement in other types of business (see the British media).

Alas, research now is being driven by certain industries, if one's funding depends on that, one might be writing a certain way and wanting to be downplaying the incidence.

This doesn't make sense, this entire "ostrich" reaction, but it sure isn't my imagination there is a serious effort out there to ignore the potential to have part of the world's food supply declared unsuitable for a large chunk of the population.

See also the recent Time magazine article online about the study published in Pediatics about how now 1 in 6 children has some sort of developmental disability. I would be curious if Biagi would dispute the increase in that, I've seen a lot of stuff online that insists there is not an increase in autism, merely that it's being diagnosed more.

"Autism rates nearly quadrupled over the study period, from .19% in '97 - '99 to .74% in 2006- 08." ADD rose 33% to be 7.6% by 2008.

(Nothing to see here, move along !)

http://healthland.time.com/2011/05/23/developmental-disabilities-including-autism-and-adhd-are-on-the-rise/

And just to cheer anyone up who might actually read this, hooray for the Finnish researchers!

"Increasing prevalence and high incidence of celiac disease in elderly people: A population-based study" June 29, 2009 from a different source with a slightly similar name http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-230X/9/49

In conclusion, the prevalence of celiac disease proved to be high in elderly people. Increased alertness and the free employment of serologic screening tests are warranted. One seronegative test result does not exclude forthcoming celiac disease. Our serial screening in the same population indicated that seropositivity and the disease may also appear later in life. This should be taken into account when considering celiac disease case finding and screening studies.