Gardening

Please Sign This Petition For gluten-free Girl Scout Cookies!

Rate this topic

A girl scout troop has started an online petition for Girl Scouts to come up with a gluten-free allergen-free cookie. Currently, the two baking companies for GS say there isn't enough of a market for them.

There are SO many little girl scouts with celiac, gluten sensitivity, or other allergies (peanut, egg, etc) who can't eat the cookies they are asked to sell. Plus countless neighbors, etc, who can't participate because they can't eat the cookies.

On behalf of my soon-to-be a girl scout daughter, who is off both gluten and dairy, I'm posting the link to the petition:

http://www.change.org/petitions/encourage-the-girl-scouts-to-sell-an-allergen-free-cookie

It is just beginning to get traction, but through social networking, I think we can show there really is a demand for this product.

PLEASE share with your local celiac groups, pass on to the mom of the peanut-allergic child, etc.

We can do this!! Thank you!

I'll sign it. I'm afraid they will have to cost $10 a box. They will have to get a gluten-free baking company to make them.

With our luck, they'll have soy flour in them. <_<

KarenG, ITA, they will need another bakery to make them. Maybe Enjoy Life would contract out, since they are already a gluten-free, nut-free facility.

Takala, the petition is for a cookie free of the top 8 allergens and also gluten-free. This way, one cookie would cover not only the celiacs, but also the peanut-allergic children, and anyone else sensitive to the top 8 - including soy. So many families have multiple children with food allergies to different things - it gets to tricky and limiting!

It can be done, and I truly hope the Girl Scouts will decide it is worthwhile to make their cookie program inclusive.

They could probably get a company with a gluten-free cookie to repackage it with Girl Scouts on the box. Maybe even give it to them at cost then the GS could sell it only slightly more than the $5 they cost at the grocery.

We have a coffee bean company that puts stickers for our Lacrosse team on the bags of coffee and we get them at about cost for fundraising. (free of all 8 allergens ;) )

I'll sign and pass it on, but I'm not very optomistic of seeing it happen. Did anyone see the interview on one of the morning shows with the Girl Scouts that have been petitioning for YEARS to get them to stop using Palm oil in their cookies? When I saw that I thought that they should fight for them to have an allergen free cookie instead. But I'm sure I'm biased in that desire. :D

I signed it, and hope they take it seriously. gluten-free and other food intolerances and allergies need to be taken seriously! Hopefully, it will become mainstream, and Girl Scouts could help make that happen. :) Good for them! (I was a Girl Scout) :)

I signed it. I hate turning girls down at the door because I can't eat the cookies.

Good luck with that, but I doubt it will happen. Low demand and cost may not makt economically feasible. Girl Scout cookies have a terribly low profit margin as it is.

Signed! I'm not holding my breath but every signature helps. I can't imagine how little celiac girls must feel trying to sell cookies they can't even eat. sad.gif