This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Anyone Know If Pancrecarb Is Gluten Free

jackay

jackay Enthusiast

I've checked online for the gluten free status of this medication and wan't able to come up with an answer. I'll check with my drugstore once they get it and are able to fill the prescription. I just want to be ahead of the game.

I suffer from fat malabsorption. Pancrecarb is the first digestive enzyme I've been prescribed. I've tried a few gluten nonprescription digestive enzymes and they just made things worse. I am guessing I'll have the same luck with a prescription but am willing to give it a try if it is gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

I've never heard of that one. I too suffered major fat malabsorption for 8 months last year. My doc wanted me to start steriods, but I refused. He did prescribe me creon (at my suggestion) and I told him that I would eliminate all gluten free stuff (prepackaged) and start from scratch again. Three months later (Nov. '10) I was doing so well that I was able to quit taking the creon. I discovered during that three months that I was intolerant to any Bob's Red Mill gluten free products (I believe it was the gluten free oat CC, I knew I was intolerent to the gluten free oats 7 months into gluten free, but never gave the cc from them a thought) and alot of mainstream products. Now anytime I get cc'd or consume any BRM products the first symptom for me is bloating and then either soft stools or diarrhea. I immediatly suffer from fat malabsorption also. So what helps me in this situation is going easy on my tummy and I take the creon until the episode runs it's course. The creon initally and when I get glutened now helped/help alot.

jackay Enthusiast

I've never heard of that one. I too suffered major fat malabsorption for 8 months last year. My doc wanted me to start steriods, but I refused. He did prescribe me creon (at my suggestion) and I told him that I would eliminate all gluten free stuff (prepackaged) and start from scratch again.

I'm guessing that Pancrecarb is similar to Creon. I couldn't find online what pharmeucital company manufactures it.

jackay Enthusiast

I've never heard of that one. I too suffered major fat malabsorption for 8 months last year. My doc wanted me to start steriods, but I refused. He did prescribe me creon (at my suggestion) and I told him that I would eliminate all gluten free stuff (prepackaged) and start from scratch again. Three months later (Nov. '10) I was doing so well that I was able to quit taking the creon. I discovered during that three months that I was intolerant to any Bob's Red Mill gluten free products (I believe it was the gluten free oat CC, I knew I was intolerent to the gluten free oats 7 months into gluten free, but never gave the cc from them a thought) and alot of mainstream products. Now anytime I get cc'd or consume any BRM products the first symptom for me is bloating and then either soft stools or diarrhea. I immediatly suffer from fat malabsorption also. So what helps me in this situation is going easy on my tummy and I take the creon until the episode runs it's course. The creon initally and when I get glutened now helped/help alot.

Roda,

I just got a call from my doctor's office that Pancrecarb is no longer being manufactured so he prescribed Creon. I hope I have luck with it.

What do you eat now? Any prepackaged foods? How about rice? I feel my diet is way too limited right now.

Roda Rising Star

Roda,

I just got a call from my doctor's office that Pancrecarb is no longer being manufactured so he prescribed Creon. I hope I have luck with it.

What do you eat now? Any prepackaged foods? How about rice? I feel my diet is way too limited right now.

For the first three months I took the creon I ate whole foods and prepared everything myself. I did not completely eliminate dairy as I ate cheese and yogurt but I did not drink milk. I used homemade almond milk instead. After that I slowly started introducing some gluten free products. I can tolerate Ener G products, kinkinnick(? sp), King Arthur and the Betty Crocker mixes alright now. I do try and eat those things in moderation. I am still eating much the same as before with an added treat here and there. I do tolerate rice but for some reason lately it has been turning me off with the taste. I guess I'm just weird. I'm beginning to think I may have to give up chocolate. Seems like if I overdo it I get heartburn. Same thing with bananas, So weird. I also have been making my own balsamic vinegrette and love it. I wanted something diferent so I bought some italian dressing (Kraft I do trust kraft items) and couldn't stand the taste. Homemade tastes too good!

How much did he prescribe? I was prescribed less than what someone would take for pancreatic insuficiency. I took 1 Creon DR 12,000 units capsule with every meal so three a day. It didn't start helping immediatly but I slowly saw improvement. After awhile if I forgot to take it I could tell. I quit taking it because I started suffering from bloating and constipation. I tried to look for a gluten cc issue and couldn't find it. The only thing that made sense was the creon. After 5 days of stopping it and a laxative later I was able to go. I haven't needed to take it since, unless I get cc'd. I'm thinking my body healed and the enzymes at that point was too much. Good in theory anyway.

Archived