love2blog

Aveda Shampoo / Conditioner

Rate this topic

I've long been a lover of Aveda products and salons, but after my diagnosis last summer (2010) I had to stop using their products because of either wheat or barley being an ingredient. However, I have found that the Scalp Benefits Shampoo is gluten, soy -free. I've used it now for 3 months with no reactions (and my skin is pretty sensitive to anything with gluten or soy).

Here is an email from their company with the actual ingredients:

----

Dear Ann,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Aveda.

We appreciate you inquiring about the ingredients in Aveda products. We regret we do not have a listing of Aveda products that are gluten free to offer you. We apologize for any disappointment this may cause you.

Consumers will find ingredient listings on our primary packaging material, in accordance with FDA regulations, using names which are standard throughout the cosmetic and fragrance industry. Because of the vast number of raw materials from different sources, it is not possible to guarantee that our products are completely free of any of the grains specified. We trust that this information is helpful to you and are glad to have been of assistance.

We are happy to provide the ingredient listings for any Aveda product you are interested in using. Please contact us again with the specific names of the Aveda products you are interested in. We recommend reviewing these listings with your physician.

Scalp Benefits Shampoo

Aqueous (Water\Aqua\Eau) Extracts\Extraits Aqueux:Hippophae Rhamnoides Extract, Echinacea

Purpurea (Coneflower) Extract, Arctium Lappa (Burdock) Root Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract -

Babassuamidopropyl Betaine - Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate - Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate - Sodium Chloride -

Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate - Narcissus Tazetta Bulb Extract - PEG-12 Dimethicone - Dimethicone PEG-8

Meadowfoamate - Fragrance (Parfum) - Citral - Linalool - Benzyl Benzoate - Eugenol - Limonene - Polysorbate

20 - Isostearamidopropyl Morpholine Lactate - Citric Acid - Potassium Sorbate - Methylchloroisothiazolinone -

Methylisothiazolinone

We invite you to call Aveda Customer Relations at 1.800.328.0849 to discuss any questions you have.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns.

Sincerely,

Tricia

AVEDA - Customer Relations - Blaine

Aveda Global Consumer Communications

Uhm, the conditioner you listed seems to have a barley extract in it. :(

• Upvote 1

I came on this site because of my constant itching...then saw all my aveda stuff had wheat.thank you for posting this.i know now I'm not crazy!

• Upvote 1

I came on this site because of my constant itching...then saw all my aveda stuff had wheat.thank you for posting this.i know now I'm not crazy!

So happy this could help you! You're absolutely NOT crazy- hehe. I was itching constantly and my face, neck, and shoulders were breaking out into a horrible rash as well before I realized it was the wheat/barley in their Dry Remedy Shampoo and Conditioner. Once I switched to the Scalp Benefits (which is completely free of all the major allergens) everything cleared up and I felt normal again! Hopefully you'll be able to use the Scalp Benefits Shampoo and Conditioner without any issues. I always read the ingredients each time I purchase them just in case they changed, but so far so good!