Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fakename

Crest Is Gluten-Free But They Don't Always Test

Should I be concerned about Crest? Their website says that all their products are gluten-free but they also say that they don't always test them for gluten. How does one reconcile these opposing ideas?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

They are not opposing ideas. Just because you don't test everything for gluten does not mean that those things are not gluten-free. When you buy produce at the market, do you test it for gluten? No, but fresh produce is still gluten-free.

Most mainstream manufacturers do not routinely test. Testing costs money, which has to be recouped in the price of the product. 99% of the population don't care and don't want to pay more. Simple economics.

I personally prefer Colgate, but would have no qualms about using Crest.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

I emailed Crest re their products and they said that their toothpastes are gluten-free. However, they did also say that their Crest Pro Rinse and Crest Whitening "...could contain trace amounts of gluten. We recommend that you contact your doctor if you have questions before using these rinse products...".

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.