This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Opinions, Please!

DarkStar

DarkStar Newbie

Hello all!

I am new on here, so let me introduce myself first.

My name is Valerie and my boyfriend just recently got diagnosed with celiac disease.

Basically his story goes like this:

During college he was having stomach problems, so he went to the doctor to find out what it was.

They told him it was acid reflux, and they had to do a blood test to test for Celiacs. Somehow, the test did not come out correctly, and he was tested negative for celiacs.

So he continued to live a normal life, or in other words, eat an everyday diet. (And of course in college, boys love to drink beer..)

His stomach started hurting again a few months ago, really badly, to the point where he couldn't move (at this time he is 25). He went to many doctors, and took the same tests again, and was tested positive for Celiacs.

It has now been probably 6 months ( I can't really remember for sure) that he has been on a gluten-free diet. He has been really good about his diet, and buys mostly Udi's brand food, and shops at natural food stores.

However, even though he has been strict about his diet, and I also make sure he does good with his diet as well, he still gets stomach aches.

It was like before he was diagnosed, just not as severe. We just have a hard time trying to figure out what it could be if he has not eaten any gluten in months.

He is however, taking pills for Acid Reflux, because the doctor says he has this too.

So I thought could it be:

the pills?

another allergy?

ulcers?

another stomach condition?

I would just like to know if anyone else still gets stomach aches, even when on a strict gluten free diet.

Any, advise, or input would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks, all.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

If he has celiac disease he may not be able to tolerate lactose (the milk sugar in milk, cream, ice cream - sometimes not even in cheese, yogurt, sour cream etc.). Have him eliminate these things and see if it helps. Once he heals he should no longer get acid reflux and no longer need the pills.

Also, make sure he has gotten rid of all trace glutens, like in personal care products, prescription and OTC medications, supplements. Check the labels especiallly of all sauces, marinades, salad dressings, avoid soy sauce unless it is Tamari or La Choy. Throw away any old wood utensils and cutting boards, any plastic things that are scratched, any scratched nonstick pans, get a new toaster and colander (which cannot be cleaned), run any cast iron through the cleaning cycle of the oven and reseason.

ETA: Sorry, forgot my manners. Welcome!!

DarkStar Newbie

If he has celiac disease he may not be able to tolerate lactose (the milk sugar in milk, cream, ice cream - sometimes not even in cheese, yogurt, sour cream etc.). Have him eliminate these things and see if it helps. Once he heals he should no longer get acid reflux and no longer need the pills.

Also, make sure he has gotten rid of all trace glutens, like in personal care products, prescription and OTC medications, supplements. Check the labels especiallly of all sauces, marinades, salad dressings, avoid soy sauce unless it is Tamari or La Choy. Throw away any old wood utensils and cutting boards, any plastic things that are scratched, any scratched nonstick pans, get a new toaster and colander (which cannot be cleaned), run any cast iron through the cleaning cycle of the oven and reseason.

ETA: Sorry, forgot my manners. Welcome!!

Thanks!

That sounds like good advice.

I will tell him about the lactose intolerance. He is Italian, so that might be difficult for him to give up (even more so, since pasta is gone)

But I will let him know.

And do you really think that his acid reflux will be totally gone, once he heals?

Also, what kind of care products do you think have gluten? Like shampoos, body washes, toothpaste, etc?

kareng Grand Master

Thanks!

That sounds like good advice.

I will tell him about the lactose intolerance. He is Italian, so that might be difficult for him to give up (even more so, since pasta is gone)

But I will let him know.

And do you really think that his acid reflux will be totally gone, once he heals?

Also, what kind of care products do you think have gluten? Like shampoos, body washes, toothpaste, etc?

All the main brand toothpastes seem to be fine. Look on the product topic or use the google search in the upper right corner.

Roda Rising Star

You said he is eating a lot of Udi's products. Is he eating the granola? Appx. 10-15% of celiacs can not tolerate even certified gluten free oats. If this is the case I would get rid of the granola or any gluten free oat products. Bob's Red Mills can have oat cc (I know I react bad). Just another thing to mention.

mushroom Proficient

Once he has forgotten what real Italian pasta tastes like, he can still have gluten free pasta :D . He might try Tinkyada, or there are other brands that others like that are not available to me here whose names I cannot remember now.

Skylark Collaborator

For the first year when I figured out I was celiac I also got stomach aches from soy and dairy. After about a year and a half I was able to eat them again. He might try eliminating those two foods for a couple weeks and see if it helps. I know it's hard, but it beats stomach aches!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DarkStar Newbie

Thank you all for the replies.

I think giving up diary products for a few weeks is a good idea, to figure out if that is what is causing the stomach aches.

And thanks, Mushroom, for the pasta advice, haha. He has tried some gluten free pastas, he thinks they are ok, but he's still trying to forget what real pasta tastes like :P

Oh and Rods, he doesn't really like granola, so he's ok with that. Most of the Udi's food he has are bread products, and rice cereals.

Anyways, this is kind of a random question, but does anyone know a good cookbook for Celiacs?

Or even a good website for recipes :)

kareng Grand Master

Thank you all for the replies.

I think giving up diary products for a few weeks is a good idea, to figure out if that is what is causing the stomach aches.

And thanks, Mushroom, for the pasta advice, haha. He has tried some gluten free pastas, he thinks they are ok, but he's still trying to forget what real pasta tastes like :P

Oh and Rods, he doesn't really like granola, so he's ok with that. Most of the Udi's food he has are bread products, and rice cereals.

Anyways, this is kind of a random question, but does anyone know a good cookbook for Celiacs?

Or even a good website for recipes :)

We have a cooking/recipe section that has lots of recipes.

love2travel Mentor

Once he has forgotten what real Italian pasta tastes like, he can still have gluten free pasta :D . He might try Tinkyada, or there are other brands that others like that are not available to me here whose names I cannot remember now.

I will never, ever forget what real Italian pasta tastes like! I used to make it often. :( Am making my own gluten-free pasta - haven't happened upon the perfect ingredient ratio yet but am working on it. It'll come...

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Are you still eating gluten? Be sure that if you eat gluten that you brush your teeth before kissing him. Also wash your hands AFTER you eat something with gluten like a sandwich. If you are eating gluten it is very easy for you to accidently cross contaminate him by holding his hand or touching his food, etc.

Skylark Collaborator

Here are my favorite cooking blogs

Gluten-free crockpot recipes

Open Original Shared Link

Gluten-free Bay

Hey, that tastes good!

Kill.the.gluten

Tartelette - French Pastry with regular and gluten-free versions

Straight Into Bed Cakefree and Dried

DarkStar Newbie

Here are my favorite cooking blogs

Gluten-free crockpot recipes

Gluten-free Bay

Hey, that tastes good!

Kill.the.gluten

Tartelette - French Pastry with regular and gluten-free versions

Straight Into Bed Cakefree and Dried

Wow! Thanks Skylark! That's a lot of links. I'm definitely going to bookmark all of these.

I also went out to Borders yesterday and got a huge gluten-free cook book, "1,000 Gluten-free recipes."

There are some really tasty recipes in this book.

Skylark Collaborator

I've been collecting links for a while. I'm happy to share. :)

Archived