Googles

Calamari?

Rate this topic

I really love fried calamari. Does anyone know of any companies that make gluten free fried calamari?

Thanks.

Me, too! It is quite common traditionally to make the batter for deep-fried calamari from white rice flour and/or cornstarch (called a tempura batter) and club soda but of course that is not always the case. So, I buy calamari and make my own including a few yummy dips (i.e. wasabi mayonnaise, honey mustard, etc.).

I use it for green beans, squash blossoms, shrimp, fresh sage leaves...

Here is a very simple one to try - I would definitely cut the recipe in half or even down to 1/3, depending on how hungry you are!

http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/how-to/how-to-make-tempura-fried-vegetables-at-home-138702

Sometimes I whisk and egg and add water to equal 1/2 cup total. Then I whisk in enough white rice flour to make a pancake batter consistency. Then to keep it very cold I add ice cubes. Oh, and many recipes do not include any seasoning so I always season.

Sorry, I don't know any place that sells gluten-free. But Domata Living FLour has a seasoned gluten-free breading mix that is excellent for fish or chicken. We love it...

Thank you both for your replies. I've never cooked seafood except for fish, so cooking calamari from scratch is a little intimidating.

Thank you both for your replies. I've never cooked seafood except for fish, so cooking calamari from scratch is a little intimidating.

You can buy the rings if you find the thought of using bodies daunting. Then all you would have to do is whip up some tempura batter, dip the rings and fry. It really is that easy. :)

if you're ever in boston, there's a place by north station that makes good gluten-free calamari...

love2travel,

thanks, I'll have to look for that. Is that something you have to get from the seafood thing at the store, or is it sold prepackaged?

SB- too bad I don't live in Boston anymore.

love2travel,

thanks, I'll have to look for that. Is that something you have to get from the seafood thing at the store, or is it sold prepackaged?

SB- too bad I don't live in Boston anymore.

We live in landlocked Alberta, Canada, so our only option is frozen. But we can get either the bodies (with the yummy tentacles) cleaned or uncleaned or already as rings (all frozen). Sometimes you just have that calamari craving! :P

if you're ever in boston, there's a place by north station that makes good gluten-free calamari...

I hope to go home to Boston this summer! Can you give me the name of the restaurant please? Thanks!