This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nightshades And Corn Starch In Hellman's Mayo.

GFinDC

GFinDC Veteran

Nightshades and corn starch in Hellman's Mayo.

I saw Hellman's mayo now has potato/corn starch listed in the ingredients on their Canola Oil Cholesterol free mayo. Potato is not listed on their web site nutritional info, but I have seen it on the labels in a couple of stores around DC now. This is a change as their ingredients didn't used to list these starches. They list corn starch on the web but not the potato.

Just a heads-up in case you are avoiding nightshades or corn, this mayo might not work. This is also one the few mayos that are soy-free.

Open Original Shared Link

Ingredients listed online are:

INGREDIENTS: WATER, CANOLA OIL**, VINEGAR, MODIFIED CORN STARCH**, WHOLE EGGS AND EGG YOLKS+, SUGAR, SALT, LEMON JUICE, XANTHAN GUM**, (SORBIC ACID**, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA) USED TO PROTECT QUALITY, DL ALPHA TOCOPHERYL ACETATE (VITAMIN E), PHOSPHORIC ACID**, NATURAL FLAVORS, CITRIC ACID**, OLEORESIN PAPRIKA, BETA CAROTENE** (FOR COLOR). GLUTEN-FREE.

** INGREDIENT NOT IN MAYONNAISE

+ ADDS A TRIVIAL AMOUNT OF CHOLESTEROL

Ingredients listed on mayo jar are:

INGREDIENTS: WATER, CANOLA OIL**, VINEGAR, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH** (CORN, POTATO), WHOLE EGGS AND EGG YOLKS+, SUGAR, SALT, LEMON JUICE, XANTHAN GUM**, (SORBIC ACID**, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA) USED TO PROTECT QUALITY, DL ALPHA TOCOPHERYL ACETATE (VITAMIN E), PHOSPHORIC ACID**, NATURAL FLAVORS, CITRIC ACID**, OLEORESIN PAPRIKA, BETA CAROTENE** (FOR COLOR). GLUTEN-FREE.

** INGREDIENT NOT IN MAYONNAISE

+ ADDS A TRIVIAL AMOUNT OF CHOLESTEROL

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cahill Collaborator

I miss mayo :(

mushroom Proficient

Damn, damn, double damn. Why didn't they just go ahead and put soy in while they were about it? :blink: I guess there are more, cheaper, potatoes around than corn now that they have started making fuel out of it. Can someone figure out a what to make fuel out of potatoes? :lol:

mushroom Proficient

Well at least I will still have my BLA sandwiches (that's a modified BLT to you, substituting avocado for tomato). I mash the avocado and use it spread on the toast instead of mayo and sandwich lots of bacon and a bit of lettuce between - prefer it now to BLT's ('cos I don't have BLT's :P )

AND, I have started putting white wine vinegar in my tuna salad with a little cream and sour cream mixed because I have been trying to avoid canola oil. Now this is the final shove!!

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Well at least I will still have my BLA sandwiches (that's a modified BLT to you, substituting avocado for tomato). I mash the avocado and use it spread on the toast instead of mayo and sandwich lots of bacon and a bit of lettuce between - prefer it now to BLT's ('cos I don't have BLT's :P )

That BLA sounds yummy! I will have to try it sometime (with turkey bacon since I'm allergic to pork :ph34r: ). I have never been a big fan of mayo anyway. I love avocados! I was getting Smart Balance mayo to experiment with making dairy free/soy free creamy dressings but recently I noticed Smart Balalnce has changed their ingredients to include soy. It used to just be canola oil and sunflower oil. What is it with companies changing ingredients all the time? :huh:

mushroom Proficient

recently I noticed Smart Balalnce has changed their ingredients to include soy. It used to just be canola oil and sunflower oil. What is it with companies changing ingredients all the time? :huh:

Earth Balance makes a soy free spread.

kareng Grand Master

Why must companies change a perfectly good product? Even if I can still eat it it might not be the same. I was traumatized as a child when they changed my favorite cereal and the texture was never quite riight!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Earth Balance makes a soy free spread.

I have read that but I have never actually found the one that is soy free and dairy free. My stores carry the other ones. For baking I mostly use coconut oil or palm oil shortening now. If I want toast I spread with peanut butter, apple butter or jam.

txplowgirl Enthusiast

NNnnnnnnoooooo, that's my one and only mayo! No wonder i've been hurting. Damn them people, I have been using this for so long I got to the point of not checking the ingredients. There goes my chicken salad. :( Bummer!

mushroom Proficient

NNnnnnnnoooooo, that's my one and only mayo! No wonder i've been hurting. Damn them people, I have been using this for so long I got to the point of not checking the ingredients. There goes my chicken salad. :( Bummer!

Try some cream, sour cream and a little vinegar.

domesticactivist Collaborator

Mayo is super-duper easy to make. It just takes a few minutes. I'll get Kelsy to post a blog on it eventually. In the meantime, google mayonnaise recipes and I'm sure you'll find a good one. :)

Takala Enthusiast

Why must companies change a perfectly good product? Even if I can still eat it it might not be the same. I was traumatized as a child when they changed my favorite cereal and the texture was never quite riight!

_________

So now they are ruining the mayonnaise experience for some of you. I am terribly sorry. :(

It's the same thing with cosmetics and toiletries.

I swear marketing departments are run by flacks who are rewarded for exhibiting the most evidence of short attention spans.

_________

Spectrum Canola Mayo Ingredients (says Gluten Free on the jar label) :

canola oil, eggs, water, honey, distilled white vinegar, sea salt, mustard, lemon juice concentrate.

_________

Does that help anyone ?

Takala Enthusiast

For the chicken salad I would go to an olive oil and vinegar dressing. You could probably mix in a little bit of coconut milk. I've faked ranch type dressing before, so this would just need some sort of thickener, could be done in the microwave to warm it up then add the oil.... thinking.... maybe I should add a sig line that says outwitting food manufacturers since '03.

• 2 weeks later...
GFinDC Veteran

_________

So now they are ruining the mayonnaise experience for some of you. I am terribly sorry. :(

It's the same thing with cosmetics and toiletries.

I swear marketing departments are run by flacks who are rewarded for exhibiting the most evidence of short attention spans.

_________

canola oil, eggs, water, honey, distilled white vinegar, sea salt, mustard, lemon juice concentrate.

_________

Does that help anyone ?

Thanks Takala, I'll keep an eye out for the Spectrum mayo next time. I don't use it a whole lot except in guacamole. But I found n the guacamole is fine without it anyway.

mushroom Proficient

_________

_________

_________

Does that help anyone ?

Found that one last week - now I have to keep hubs away from it (actually, don't think he likes it much, which is good).

• 3 weeks later...
domesticactivist Collaborator

As promised, my partner finally blogged home-made, lacto-fermented mayo. You can find our blog linked from my profile. She includes cayanne in the recipe, which is a nightshade - but you can just leave it out. I'm copying the text in here:

Lacto-Fermented Mayonnaise

by Kelsy

I hated mayonnaise growing up. Hated it. And who could blame me? Soybean oil,

Archived