JenR

Gluten Challenge

Rate this topic

I went gluten-free for 6 weeks. My rash went away between weeks 2 and 4 (WOW) It was not as severe as some of you here have experienced. The most recent rash was mostly on my outer ankles only. I reintroduced gluten this weekend with beer and pizza (LOL) - so this is the third day of the gluten challenge and no rash so far. I guess I thought that if the rash really was DH, it would spring back into action.

Others' experiences with gluten challenges? Again, it's clear to me from reading here, my sensitivity is mild compared to many. Thanks in advance!

Jen

If you really want to know, you might have to keep eating gluten for a while.

In theory your antibodies would build and eventually reactivate the rash.

You are fortunate to be a fast healer if it is DH.

If I get traces of gluten my rash is activated by day 2. It can take 24 to 48 hours to really burn, sting, itch, blister, ooze and peel.

But I have never challenged gluten.

It challenges me. (CC)

Do you have any other Celiac symptoms at all from eating gluten?

Do you have any other Celiac symptoms at all from eating gluten?

Nope. No known family history either.

I was hoping the rash would return right away - more feeling of causality, you know? If it comes back in a few weeks or so, it will be hard to argue it was the dietary changes. But at any rate I can bring it to the derm and get biopsied.

With DH, gluten is a cumulative thing. A good Dr. will know that. Even if your rash doesn't return for a while it eventually will if you keep eating gluten when you have built up enough antibodies.

I hate to tell you this, but a lot of people with DH do not test positive with the biopsy. However, unless they are strictly gluten free their rash returns.

I think you will get accurate information even if it only returns after eating gluten for a while. But I hope it doesn't come back and you don't have it.

JenR: I think it is very difficult to always notice a 1:1 correspondence with gluten intake and DH symptoms. Especially now that my DH is clearing up, accidental glutenings seem to have different effects at different times. Sometimes rapid return of stinging and open lesions, sometimes delayed by a couple of days, other times little effect. I'm not experienced enough at this to sort it all out.

Last year my DH was clearing up quite well, and then I had prolonged environmental exposure to wheat products as part of my job. At first there was no effect, but later I had a fairly severe return of my DH symtoms, which lasted months.

I hate to tell you this, but a lot of people with DH do not test positive with the biopsy. However, unless they are strictly gluten free their rash returns.

Argh! I thought the biopsy (properly performed) was supposed to be more reliable than an endoscopy in folks with DH??!! I guess I'll just proceed with the normal diet and wait and see....

As with everything else connected to celiac disease, it depends on the person.

richard