Jeff In San Diego

Celiac Bulimia?

Rate this topic

This just occurred to me while reading some other posts. I'm new to the whole celiac thing (gluten free for two months now).

I just wondered if it is common for some people to more or less intentionally eat a plate full of pasta or their favorite bread or something and then go to the bathroom and get rid of it right away?

I'm not considering it and don't at all condone it or think of it as a good idea, it is just a possibility that occurred to me out of the blue and wondered if it was a common phenomenon? I haven't seen or heard anything about it here or elsewhere, and now, having realized it as a likely possibility with some folks who have difficulty letting go and/or with significant wheat addiction symptoms.

Just seems odd that I have not seen anything about it in my copious celiac-surfing these past couple months.

thanks,

jp

Throwing up would not completely purge the gluten from your system. You would still have symptoms very likely and still be doing damage to your body. There was a thread on here about eating disorders but I think the consensus was that the disordered eating was rectified for some on a gluten-free diet. Perhaps SOME people who are already bulimic are that way because the gluten actually makes them sick to their stomach. I have had that reaction a few times when I ingested gluten accidentally. I would never binge on gluten however. Ihe consequences are just too bad-- even when I have an immediate sick stomach and throw up I have sympotms of gltuening for a week.

• Upvote 1

Ditto (+1) to GFM. :) I can't even risk kissing my wife when she is wearing certain lipstick. A binge and purge would be of no benefit to anyone that I can think.

I have heard that purging doesn't get every little bit out. Some may have gotten thru to the small intestine before you purge the stomach. Vomiting doesn't neccesarily completely empty the stomach either.

As a recovering bulimic, I have been known to binge and purge on glutenous foods and then purge so I don't physically have to purge...however I end up usually purging more..its a vicious cycle. ><

Since even crumbs will set off a 2 week reaction for me it's not something I would ever do.

That said, I absentmindedly took a bite of my daughter's alphabet noodle soup a few weeks into being gluten-free and panicked. Vomiting was the only thing I could think of to do so I did. Then I took a whack of digestive enzymes and hoped for the best. It seemed to work as I didn't have a reaction but I would certainly never do it on purpose.

I have, unintentionally eaten gluten after going gluten free and forced myself to vomit as to avoid possible symptoms. It was the only thing I could think to help.

Other than that, before diagnosis I did have an eating disorder. I was not underweight however, thus not diagnosed with anorexia but EDNOS (eating disorder not otherwise specified) because the edema and weight gain caused by eating gluten kept me at my "minimum weight". No matter WHAT I did, I never felt comfortable stomach-wise until I wasn't eating anything anymore, and usually for a few days of fasting before I felt like I thought I should feel. It has been proven that malnutrition mimics the symptoms of an eating disorder, and Celiac disease does cause malnutrition as we unfortunately know.