color_me_confused

Otc Medications

Rate this topic

I discovered the hard way yesterdar that my bottle of generic Aleve and that my new bottle of generic Zyrtec contain starch...and had a day of bad acid reflux to show for it. Reflux seems to be my reaction to a low level gluten exposure. At some point I get nailed with the fatigue/brain fog/ab cramps/etc stuff.

The brand name Zyrtec in the cabinet did not list any ingredients that could have gluten, so I used that today. So much for saving pennies there. The generic ibuprofen appeared safe too. Are OTC medications from brand names more likely to be gluten free?

Sheesh, gluten is everywhere... I've resolved to go to a local celiac support group to try to get more help with this, and I've got a pair of books in the mail.

It is probably corn starch but you have to call the company & ask. I find the name brands usually know if they are gluten-free but don't have as much luck with the generics when I call. There are some generics that have started putting gluten-free in big friendly letters on the box. Probably getting tired of us all calling.

This is a website that you may find useful: http://glutenfreedrugs.com/ The author is a pharmacist and the site is updated frequently.