GlutenFreeManna

Hormel Natural Choice Lunch Meat

Rate this topic

I started having heartburn about midnight last night. I decided to see if I could sleep it off (it was mild last night). This morning it is terrible! The only thing new I had was Hormel Natural Choice smoked turkey. It says it's gluten-free, so I don't think it's a gluten problem. It also says no dairy in the lactic acid starter. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem with it. Urgh. This is why I hardly ever buy lunch meat.

Here are the ingredients:

Turkey Breast Meat, Water, Salt, Potato Starch, Turbinado Sugar, Rice Starch, Carrageenan (from seaweed), Baking Soda, Natural Flavoring, Lactic Acid Starter Culture (not from Milk).

Could it be the carrageenan? or the "natural flavoring"? I wonder what THAT is?

I had it on some Rudi's bread with a big salad. I know the bread isn't a problem because I have had it before (slices from the same loaf earlier this week toasted with peanut butter). This IS my second day eating salad in row, however. I usually try to space out my raw veggie consumption to every other day at most as they can be hard on my tummy, but i have not had a problem with them for a while now. Did I just over do it on the veggies? I don't want to cook darn it!! It's in the mid to upper 90's here again today! thanks for reading my rant. :ph34r::P

We eat it at my house all the time. I do have an issue with too much salad. Especially in the first 6 months gluten-free.

Try eating it by itself or try the plain turkey, not smoked.

We eat it at my house all the time. I do have an issue with too much salad. Especially in the first 6 months gluten-free.

Try eating it by itself or try the plain turkey, not smoked.

Thanks Karen. I've been gluten free for a year and half now. I had more trouble with too many raw veggies in the beginning. I thought I was over it but I guess not. I do usually much on carrots and other raw veggies a few tiems a week but I guess two days in a row of eating salad (for lunch AND dinner) did me in.

try boars head if its available in yr area. All meats are gluten-free

I buy the Hormel Natural Choice all the time and I've never had a problem with it. Hope you figure it out so you can avoid what ever caused it..

Could it be the carrageenan? or the "natural flavoring"? I wonder what THAT is?

Carrageenan is a seaweed. I've read online that it can be a problem for people with stomach issues. I personally am avoiding it until I can figure all my food issues out. Their sliced ham doesn't have it. I think the chicken chunks don't, but you'd have to double check.