This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Best Way To Wash Old Baking Pans?

WinterSong

WinterSong Community Regular

Hi everyone! I have some cupcake pans that I haven't used yet since going gluten-free, so I wanted to ask - what is the best way to clean them to get rid of any gluten residue? I cleaned my stainless steal pots with a lot of soap and hot water. Think that'd do the trick?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Hi everyone! I have some cupcake pans that I haven't used yet since going gluten-free, so I wanted to ask - what is the best way to clean them to get rid of any gluten residue? I cleaned my stainless steal pots with a lot of soap and hot water. Think that'd do the trick?

Thanks!

Yes, maybe so. Find a clear, clean surface. But, if they are scratched up and older, it might be a good opportunity to replace. As in any Teflon surface, scratched is not good, under any circumstances.

They're pretty new, actually. Maybe a year or year and a half old. I didn't use them much, so I'm hoping to save them.

I just realized, I have a wooden roller for cookies. Is that salvageable?

Poppi Enthusiast

If they are stainless steel then scrub them until they are spotless. If they are non-stick wash them as best you can and then use paper liners. The non-stick coating can never be scrubbed 100% clean and free of gluten.

You can wrap the wooden roller in plastic but you should replace it.

Shoot. I looked it up, and I think it's nonstick. Looks like I'll be making another trip to Bed Bath and Beyond. :-/

Lisa Mentor

Shoot. I looked it up, and I think it's nonstick. Looks like I'll be making another trip to Bed Bath and Beyond. :-/

Jessica, as long as all residue is cleaned, it should be ok. :)

sreese68 Enthusiast

Dawn Power Dissolver is great on baked-on residue. I was able to completely clean a glass baking dish that had had brown/burn residue spots on it. It isn't for scratched non-stick, but you shouldn't keep that anyway!

Good luck!

(Oh, I had a set of cupcake tins with little lines circling each hole for the cupcakes. I figured I could never clean those lines completely, so those went.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Thanks for the input! I'll do my best with them. Goodness, it seems like I got rid of half my kitchen.

Poppi Enthusiast

I replaced my 12-cup muffin tin with a stainless steel one. I use paper liners in it to avoid the sticking issue.

I do have a non-stick mini-muffin tin. It makes great one bite brownies! I have kept it and use paper liners. So far so good.

Coinkey Apprentice

If the muffin pan has no visible scratches then a good wash plus tossing it in the oven when you run your self-cleaning function will get the invisible ones. Never tried it myself as I don't have a self-cleaning oven.... maybe the pan would melt....

Replace the rolling pin.

Baking soda is a wonderful cheap way to clean off residue, stains and baked on stuff as well. It has been a life saver for me. (something has to be cheap around here....)

sa1937 Community Regular

My rule of thumb is that if I can get it clean, I keep it. If not...out it goes. I have richly rewarded myself with a bunch of new kitchen equipment as I figure I deserve it. :lol: And I didn't replace everything at once...just the things I use all the time. Heck, I'm still on a buying spree. LOL It's kind of fun to replace 50-year old stuff.

I've even used spray-on oven cleaner on glass. I'll have to look for Dawn Power Dissolver as I don't think I've ever seen it before.

I do use parchment paper on cookie sheets and use a lot of aluminum foil, too. I didn't replace my rolling pin nor have I used it but I think I could safely roll a pie crust between sheets of parchment. Actually I can't think of the last time I ever rolled out anything. My main baking quest is bread and I did buy new loaf pans.

Jestgar Rising Star

I do use parchment paper on cookie sheets and use a lot of aluminum foil, too.

Me too. Even on clean stuff just because it's so much easier to clean up.

Keep the pan and use paper muffin cups.

sa1937 Community Regular

Me too. Even on clean stuff just because it's so much easier to clean up.

Anything to make life easier!!! And cookies seem to release better when baked on parchment paper. :)

glamorous Newbie

This did the trick for me:

Put your pan on the heat with boiling water in it. Put some baking soda in your pan and let it cook for a while. The baking soda cleans the pans in their 'pores' so it should be clean.

But the best thing to do if you're still not sure is obviously buying yourself a new set of pans.

Takala Enthusiast

To roll pie crust, you can use 2 sheets of waxed paper and a drinking glass instead of a rolling pin.

You can put cast iron in the oven on the cleaning cycle, then cool, scrub it out with water and a scritchy- scrubbie, and re season it. One time I wasn't sure about the last thing cooked in it not being cross contaminated, so I boiled vinegar water in it and got a lot of grease to sop up out of the iron, then scrubbed it several times with baking soda.

DO NOT put teflon/non stick in a really hot oven, the fumes are poisonous, especially to pet birds.

bbuster Explorer

This is a recent discovery for me.

The best way I have found to scrub off baked on goop without scratching (metal, glass, whatever) is using Magic Eraser pads. I thought they worked miracles in getting marks off walls and scuff marks off floors and shoes. Now this!

Archived