anna34

Wow! U.s. Has Variety Of gluten-free Options!

Rate this topic

I'm amazed at the variety of gluten-free pre-packaged goods that are available in the U.S.!

Bisquick, Betty Crocker brownies, cakes, cookies, Chex cereal, Rice Krispies, so many cookies, Fruity Pebbles, Progresso soups, Hamburger Helper, crackers...

I know that we don't NEED any of these items, but it sure feels good to know that if DD needs cookies for her class the next day I can simply crack open a box mix if I'm in a hurry. :)

That is so true. I just noticed that the other day, when I was looking for gluten free products to write a story about. The times they are a-changing, I guess. I can't wait what other yummie stuff will be out there. :rolleyes:

I'm amazed at the variety of gluten-free pre-packaged goods that are available in the U.S.!

Bisquick, Betty Crocker brownies, cakes, cookies, Chex cereal, Rice Krispies, so many cookies, Fruity Pebbles, Progresso soups, Hamburger Helper, crackers...

I know that we don't NEED any of these items, but it sure feels good to know that if DD needs cookies for her class the next day I can simply crack open a box mix if I'm in a hurry. :)

And I have not seen any of those in Canada (except some rather icky crackers)! We have some catching up to do here...

But I am happy for those who have access to interesing things! :)

Be careful about the Hamburger Helper if you eat that. They have recently stopped making the gluten-free ones because they are manufacturing them on the same lines as wheat products. The boxes won't have gluten in the ingredients but they will now say "May contain wheat" on them. Here's a blog post about it:

http://glutenfreeworks.com/blog/2011/06/01/no-more-gluten-free-hamburger-helper/

And I have not seen any of those in Canada (except some rather icky crackers)! We have some catching up to do here...

But I am happy for those who have access to interesing things! :)

But processed food is processed food. Somehow being the gourmet cook that you are, I think you'll always make your own. :D

Be careful about the Hamburger Helper if you eat that. They have recently stopped making the gluten-free ones because they are manufacturing them on the same lines as wheat products. The boxes won't have gluten in the ingredients but they will now say "May contain wheat" on them. Here's a blog post about it:

http://glutenfreewor...mburger-helper/

Have you bought the gluten-free Hamburger Helper? I found it rather distasteful and I'm all one for a quick meal. That holds true for a lots of gluten-free foods.

Have you bought the gluten-free Hamburger Helper? I found it rather distasteful and I'm all one for a quick meal. That holds true for a lots of gluten-free foods.

No. I never liked the HH type meals before going gluten free. I can make better tasting and healthier stir-fry with rice for less money than the box mixes. I would not have known about the change if I had not seen it mentioned on this board.

But processed food is processed food. Somehow being the gourmet cook that you are, I think you'll always make your own. :D

It's true that I likely wouldn't buy those products, anyway, but for some reason it is kind of fun to know that they are mainstream! Sort of makes one feel almost normal. Weird logic, I know... :huh:

It's true that I likely wouldn't buy those products, anyway, but for some reason it is kind of fun to know that they are mainstream! Sort of makes one feel almost normal. Weird logic, I know... :huh:

I am very grateful that a company like General Mills has come out with so many items that are gluten-free. And like GlutenFreeManna, I never was a Hamburger Helper fan before so it's not like I'm missing anything.

I don't like Hamburger Helper either. I'd rather eat something I make from scratch.

But, the cake mixes I picked up will come in handy in a pinch! I also picked up a box of the Bisquick and noticed that it says "Made in Canada" - but we can't purchase it here!