mamabear272

A Couple Of Things

Rate this topic

I may have had a setback today. Not sure why, but I thought I could have Rice Krispies (I'm still REALLY new and learning). We had a party here today for my nephew's graduation and since I couldn't have cookie cake I figured I'd have the treats. I had a pretty good sized piece. Any idea how bad this is going to set me back??

Also, I went to dinner with dh for our anniversary dinner. We went to Olive Garden but only because I know they have a gluten-free menu AND my best friend is the manager there. I know that she would make sure that everything was done correctly to avoid cc. Do any of you ever go out to eat to places that offer gluten-free items? I would be really scared that there would be cc. People who don't either have celiac or have someone close don't realize how very serious it is that the protocol be taken. I mean, I never knew till this week that you couldn't even cook with the same pans, utensils, etc.

I may have had a setback today. Not sure why, but I thought I could have Rice Krispies (I'm still REALLY new and learning). We had a party here today for my nephew's graduation and since I couldn't have cookie cake I figured I'd have the treats. I had a pretty good sized piece. Any idea how bad this is going to set me back??

Also, I went to dinner with dh for our anniversary dinner. We went to Olive Garden but only because I know they have a gluten-free menu AND my best friend is the manager there. I know that she would make sure that everything was done correctly to avoid cc. Do any of you ever go out to eat to places that offer gluten-free items? I would be really scared that there would be cc. People who don't either have celiac or have someone close don't realize how very serious it is that the protocol be taken. I mean, I never knew till this week that you couldn't even cook with the same pans, utensils, etc.

First of all, welcome! The problem with Rice Krispies, as well as a lot of other cereals, is that they contain malt, which is derived from barley. Hope you recover quickly but I think it really depends on the person and how severe their reactions are.

Rice Krispies has just come out with a new gluten-free Rice Krispies made from brown rice...the boxes are clearly marked Gluten-Free. They just hit the shelves recently and I haven't yet seen them where I live.

There is a lot to learn when we go gluten-free but it gets easier very quickly. Just keep reading the forum as well as labels on products you buy. We all become very good label readers!

I am very comfortable going to P.F. Chang's and Outback Steakhouse and ordering from the gluten free menu.

Outback Steakhouse now house gluten free bread! It tasted like a croissant to me, YUM! It does have egg as an ingredient.

Cheeseburger in Paradise now offers gluten free hamburger buns.

Carrabba's

Fish Bones