mbrookes

Sweet Rice Flour

Rate this topic

What is the difference in sweet rice flour and plain rice flour? Could I use them interchangeably? Specificaly, I am making pie crust that calls for the sweet rice flour. I have a hard time finding the sweet one locally and I hate paying shipping charges.

What is the difference in sweet rice flour and plain rice flour? Could I use them interchangeably? Specificaly, I am making pie crust that calls for the sweet rice flour. I have a hard time finding the sweet one locally and I hate paying shipping charges.

Sweet rice flour is more sticky when you mix it and gives sort of a stretchy texture in baked goods. If you use plain rice flour the crust may be more crumbly or grainy. Sweet rice flour IS the same as "glutinous" rice flour however (which is glutne free despite the name). Do you have an Asian food store in town? I can always find glutinous rice flour there and it's much cheaper than ordering it online.

Thanks. I'm on my way to the Asian market.

That's why I love this site. Somebody always has an answer to a question or a shoulder to cry on if that's what you need.

Definitely don't use them interchangeabley... more on the end of don't use rice flour instead of sweet rice flour. ICK!