This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Find Any Strange New Things You Love Food Wise?

Newtoitall

Newtoitall Enthusiast

Ever since I stopped enjoying all the easy super unhealthy gluten products I turned to healthy alternatives, and recently been trying this Natura strawberry soymilk, and Dayum, it is delicious lol

but without celiac I never would have tried it.

You discover anything strange that turned out to be delicious?

ingrediants or recipes or products you wouldn't have tried without celiac disease?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sb2178 Enthusiast

watch the sugar is flavored soymilk, if you care.

I really really really love fennel. I also adore buckwheat, which I hadn't really eaten before. Otherwise, it's reinforced my love of lentils.

Jestgar Rising Star

Beets :blink:

Harpgirl Explorer

I've only been gluten free for just under a week, but I think I'm going to try avocados again. Years ago I got really sick of them after hurricane Charlie came through because the next day I came home with 5 bags of them (I rode out the storm with my husbands relatives). I thought I never wanted another one again. But they came on a salad that I ordered the other day, and I really enjoyed them! I wished there had been more. I think I'll pick some up the next time I go to the store... B)

Monael Apprentice

Rice cakes :)

I never felt the need to try them. I always loved bread. But now I really like rice cakes. I use them in place of bread. Like today, for lunch I had rice cakes with peanut butter and banana on top.

Rice in general, really. I never ate a lot of rice but now I am eating it a lot.

love2travel Mentor

Various flours such as coconut, almond, teff, garfava, millet, sorghum, etc. There are 18 flours in my freezer, all of which I use for baking. It is fun to see how different flours react/act in baking.

Whilst I've always liked pulses, there are now more in our diet now including cranberry beans, all sorts of lentils, more chickpeas than before, desi, pulse purees for baking (i.e. bean puree in meatloaf, garfava flour in crepes, black bean flour in brownies, white bean flour in biscotti)...the list goes on and on.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Tapioca flour pizza crust (there is a brand called Chebe that is tapioca based and wonderful but I have also made my own version of it several times for a quick crust or breadsticks). If you had asked me two years ago what tapioca was I probably would have said- "a gross pudding flavor" LOL! :blink::lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

Hummus. Using hummus on a sandwich to add protein and in place of mayo to hold the sandwich or roll together (egg free diet)

Cranberry sauce on sandwiches too. Making a lot of lettuce wraps, the crisp crunch is nicer than bread any day.

Oh yea, BACON. Really went through a bacon phase. Grilling vegetables.

I have also bought a lot of the famous recipes of restaurants knock-off cookbooks. I convert them to gluten free and don't have to risk eating.

Newtoitall Enthusiast

Hummus. Using hummus on a sandwich to add protein and in place of mayo to hold the sandwich or roll together (egg free diet)

Cranberry sauce on sandwiches too. Making a lot of lettuce wraps, the crisp crunch is nicer than bread any day.

Oh yea, BACON. Really went through a bacon phase. Grilling vegetables.

I have also bought a lot of the famous recipes of restaurants knock-off cookbooks. I convert them to gluten free and don't have to risk eating.

oh hey that sounds pretty delicious, grilling veggies, I thought bacon was a no no, bacon and grilled veggies and ..perhaps some hummus would certainly be different =o

ElseB Contributor

Quinoa! I used to eat couscous, and then when I had to switch gluten free I started substituting quinoa in the recipes where I used to use couscous. And I discovered that I liked quinoa a lot better. I also like it for breakfast - I cook it in water, and then add milk, yogurt, cinnamon and raisins. Yum!

bartfull Rising Star

Canyon Bakehouse San Juan 7-Grain gluten free bread. I always liked all of those multi-grain breads with all of the little nutty things in them, but I couldn't eat them because they gave me terrible heartburn. Now I have found one I can eat, and to me it's better than any dessert. YUM!

Greenling Newbie

Hmmmm, this could be a long list for me, but I'll list breakfast foods as that was the hardest meal for me when I went Gluten-free (and corn-free). So I'd say buckwheat, cinnamon rice chex, teff pancakes, and Rudi's cinnamon raisin bread, any of which can be accompanied by almond milk. :) But my biggest discovery is green smoothies. I love them and they have really helped me keep my nutrition levels up.

irish daveyboy Community Regular

Hmmmm, this could be a long list for me, but I'll list breakfast foods as that was the hardest meal for me when I went Gluten-free (and corn-free). So I'd say buckwheat, cinnamon rice chex, teff pancakes, and Rudi's cinnamon raisin bread, any of which can be accompanied by almond milk. :) But my biggest discovery is green smoothies. I love them and they have really helped me keep my nutrition levels up.

I found these amazing Buckwheat Crispbreads by accident in an Organic Food Market, they may not be available over there, but if you do see them you gotta try 'em.

Le Pain des Fluers Sarrasin Crispbread.

lpdf10002_2_b.webp

GFinDC Veteran

Sweet potatoes and okra. Fennel too. I'd had all these before but find I like them a lot more now. And use them in cooking quite a bit.

Greenling Newbie

I found these amazing Buckwheat Crispbreads by accident in an Organic Food Market, they may not be available over there, but if you do see them you gotta try 'em.

Le Pain des Fluers Sarrasin Crispbread.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look for them here. :)

kiwibird75 Newbie

Quinoa for breakfast, lunch and dinner... so many applications! Also juiced beetroot with pineapple and lemon... mmmmm.

I was always a pretty equal opportunity eater so there's nothing too new though.

Newtoitall Enthusiast

Green Smoothies ? lol

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Grilled shrimp and spinach cooked in a 3 egg omlette with shredded American cheese. Interesting but good.

• 2 weeks later...
msmini14 Enthusiast

I thought I wouldn't survive going gluten-free over 3 years ago. Now I see it as a blessing, I now have such a wide variety of fruit, veggies and food to choose from. If I hadn't been diagnosed with celiac I would still be eating unhealthy.

I love so many different foods now that I would never have touched before. I know that I am addicted to peanut butter and have been since I was sick from eating wheat.

• 3 weeks later...
Menic Apprentice

Risotto - Pretty easy to make, and it is so dimentional in terms of flavors. You can add just about anything for flavor. One of my favorites is portobello and parmesan cheese. I've also tried a red wine and peas, and asparagus. It can take a little work to make, but it's well worth it.

love2travel Mentor

Risotto - Pretty easy to make, and it is so dimentional in terms of flavors. You can add just about anything for flavor. One of my favorites is portobello and parmesan cheese. I've also tried a red wine and peas, and asparagus. It can take a little work to make, but it's well worth it.

I so agree. Risotto sounds difficult to some but it is incredibly simple to make! We have risotto often. One of my favorites is roasted butternut squash with crispy sage and mascarpone. Have you tried chocolate risotto?

Archived